• ...and so much more!
  • STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Besides the obvious hole in the base...why would I choose to reload with hollow base projectiles that weigh the same?
    IOW, is there an advantage?
    berrys.PNG

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Some think that a hollowbase bullet obturates more effectively to seal the bore. With a conventional jacketed bullet, I would call BS (except nobody makes them)...but for these "plated" lead bullets from Berry, they actually might.

I wouldn't bother.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Some think that a hollowbase bullet obturates more effectively to seal the bore. With a conventional jacketed bullet, I would call BS (except nobody makes them)...but for these "plated" lead bullets from Berry, they actually might.

I wouldn't bother.
    I tend to agree on this. If you need a bigger diameter bullet to seal properly just use .357 in your 9mm.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Besides the obvious hole in the base...why would I choose to reload with hollow base projectiles that weigh the same?
    IOW, is there an advantage?

Bullet length is longer, meaning you can either seat the bullet deeper and have the same overall cartridge length or seat the bullet at the same depth and have a longer OAL. It also moves the weight of the projectile further forward (weight wise it's slightly more shuttlecock than tennis ball). These things let you fine tune for more accuracy if your particular load/pistol likes them.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    The increase in volume left in the case also increases, lowering pressure, so I've read. I don't use them because I don't cast them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Maybe they're longer :dunno:

They'd have to be, right? Wonder if the ogive is slightly different also?

Interesting that the hollow base one's have the thick plating also? Makes one wonder of this option might be intended as a better fit for PCC's? Longer jump to a chamber with little or no feed ramp. Thicker plating for scraping the way into the chamber.

Graf's has some interesting reviews. Higher velocity and accuracy seem to be the main argument for the hollow base 124gr.

Last edited:

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    They're designed to produce even pressure on the outside of the bullet against the bore. Instead of pushing a flat, round bullet rear-end down a barrel, the base cutout pushes from the center. They're supposed to be more accurate. I've never seen a difference, but I'm new to reloading...

Also, OAL is very minimally different. No difference in seating depth.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've used hollow base stuff in old guns for years, it was the standard way of keeping firearms that used heel base ammo shooting when that ammo disappeared. I use 148g HBWC in anything shooting 38 LC and a 41 caliber HBFP mod for those that shot 41 LC.

Top Bottom