What's the best value / quality / quantity ratio bulk survival food company?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    If I'm not mistaken, Shibumiseeker is quite knowledgeable on this subject. May try and search his sn and food together
    Thanks! I'll do that.
    You would save a TON of money by learning to prep and store your own food.
    I agree 100%. I'd LOVE to do that. I do know some, but at this point in my life, spare time is few and far between.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Water bath and pressure canning are useful skills, but takes a lot of time and energy and the end result is rather fragile and heavy. If you are moving, hauling around glass jars will make everything more difficult. Drying is also useful, and your product is lighter and able to be stored in less fragile material. A combination of dried and canned material is ideal for a bug-in plan.

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    I've bought and eaten the Legacy food storage products and they're pretty tasty for what they are. I've tried some that weren't so good, so I've been repurchasing the Legacy stuff. I've also bought some of the Patriot Pantry stuff because it was a deal but I haven't tried any of it yet. Based on the little bit of research I did a while back, calorie for calorie Legacy was a great option plus the taste on the items we've eaten were satisfactory. In any case none of these are really good for you so like was mentioned above I'm canning and drying food whenever I can and I also have a garden to help augment the family's nutritional needs.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Wise is pretty good. You want to look for nitrogen purging when their pulling the air out when vacuum packing, (Wise does this). Nitrogen is an incredible preservative and it's totally safe (you breath it in about 78% of every breath). Wise has a 25 year shelf life on all their main meals and 15 years on their meat. Wise comes in meal packets inside a sealed square 5 gallon bucket, and the cardboard box doesn't announce to the world what the contents are.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I use Honeyville. They are more of selling you the stuff to make a meal other than having meals ready to eat.

Provident Pantry is another one that has good stuff. I get that most of the time from Emergency Essentials, they have their own brand now. They have good stuff.

Mountain House is one of the older Co and have a good product in ready to eat meals. They also have stuff to make stuff with. Don't get their eggs. They are like eating a sponge. I don't know why they can't get eggs right. Honeyville has great eggs and at a better price than most. Mountain House has pouches that serve one or two as well as the large cans. When I backpacked I ate a lot of Mountain House stuff.

Wise is one that don't have real meat in what they fix. That put me off on their stuff. For what they charge you can get stuff with real meat in it.

The wife and I can most of what we eat, a good part of it comes from out garden. We buy meat on sale then can it. After the canning is dun it makes meals really easy to fix. We will get a sirloin tip roast that's on sale and we buy a hole one that will go 9 to 12 pounds. We cut part of it up for canning, grind some up to freeze for burgers and burger helper type stuff. We also cut a roast or two out of it and freeze that. With the canning it will take the better part of a day to do it all. The last one we got the wife was sick so I had to do it by my self. It took all day to get it dun. We are talking a 10 hour day. After it was all dun it was worth ever minute of it.

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    I'm currently looking to store three months of food. I've been looking at Legacy. Anyone had any experience with these companies in the past few months? Legacy looks to be the best value per calorie. If I'm hungry... I can eat almost anything. I'd hunt for animal protein if need be, but the other stuff would be nice for a foundation.

It seems A LOT of the food is pastas and grains, which are pretty plentiful and cheap on the open market. We would have to rotate it, as the true value of these companies, is the packaging. Would it be worth stocking up on these staples and simply rotating them??

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    My favorite? Hormel.

Canned Foods - Indefinite Shelf Life

Hormel | FAQs

Basically, any of their canned stuff will last forever. It may start to taste funny, but it will remain sterile and safe to consume. This is the truth for many brands of canned goods, but Hormel is the only one I've found to specifically say so. Much cheaper than survival foods.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Study normal canned food shelf lives. Not necessarily the printed expiration dates. I have been living this life for all my life. Eat, rotate, and replenish your food stock.

Many survival targeted websites sell "long-term storage" foods at exhorbitant prices. Many foods we consume regularly can be stored indefinitely as well, and for a fraction of the price.

For example, the following is an excerpt from: FAQs

"What is the shelf life of a Hormel Foods product in an unopened can?

The processing techniques utilized by Hormel Foods makes the canned product safe for use indefinitely if the product seal remains intact, unbroken and securely attached to a can that has been well maintained. It is suggested that all canned products be stored in a cool and dry environment to keep the flavor adequately preserved. For maximum flavor it is recommended that the product be used within three years of the manufacturing date. After that period of time, the product is still safe to use however, the flavor gradually declines."

These products include the following among many others:

Dinty Moore Beef Stew
    Dinty Moore Chicken Stew
    Hormel Corned Beef
    Hormel Corned Beef Hash

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Study normal canned food shelf lives. Not necessarily the printed expiration dates. I have been living this life for all my life. Eat, rotate, and replenish your food stock.

Many survival targeted websites sell "long-term storage" foods at exhorbitant prices. Many foods we consume regularly can be stored indefinitely as well, and for a fraction of the price.

For example, the following is an excerpt from: FAQs

"What is the shelf life of a Hormel Foods product in an unopened can?

The processing techniques utilized by Hormel Foods makes the canned product safe for use indefinitely if the product seal remains intact, unbroken and securely attached to a can that has been well maintained. It is suggested that all canned products be stored in a cool and dry environment to keep the flavor adequately preserved. For maximum flavor it is recommended that the product be used within three years of the manufacturing date. After that period of time, the product is still safe to use however, the flavor gradually declines."

These products include the following among many others:

Dinty Moore Beef Stew
    Dinty Moore Chicken Stew
    Hormel Corned Beef
    Hormel Corned Beef Hash
    While I agree about shelf life of normal canned food, pack your ruck with enough canned food for a four day camp out where you carry in and out everything on your back, and freeze dried food wins every time!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    While I'm partial to Wise, for price, Mountainhouse products taste much better, and cook to the package directions way better than Wise. Wise is considerably less expensive, and still tastes pretty good. Mountain House has a larger selection of menus, and tastes better, but cost more, and are harder to find "in stock"!

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    The Later Day Saints (Mormons) have a web site that you can order from. They also have a home storage center in Indy. Do not have to be a member to purchase from them.

https://www.lds.org/topics/food-storage/longer-term-food-supply?lang=eng

https://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/st...839595_10557_3074457345616706370_-1_N_image_0

I order O2 absorbers and 6 gallon Foil Mylar bags from Emergency Essentials. Purchase new 5 gallon buckets and lids from Tractor Supply. They are used together to store bulk rice and beans from Sam's Club.

Emergency Essentials | Food Storage & Emergency Preparedness Supplies

Top Bottom