What's the Best Compromise in Semi-auto Rifles?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CorvetteTom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Shelbyville
    Just like many others... I've really been wanting a semi-auto rifle for target shooting and SHTF defense. I've read quite a bit on the internet about different weapons and there are many, many opinions that just skew the facts. The Indy 1500 just gets me to drooling but I am kind of ignorant about what I am looking at nowadays. In the military, I shot the Colt and liked it then but things always change and get better. I'm talking about AR or AK type weapons.

To the guys that own(ed) 1 or more... what are your 'wish I didn't' or 'rathers'?

Now... if someone wants in as cheaply (that's all I have ATM) as possible, what's the best way to go without worrying about failure?

Thanks!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Second the SKS: Darn good defensive/offensive round, cheap and plentiful ammo, if one is not foolish converting to external detachable mags, the fixed 10 rounder is reliable and you only need the one (and a bunch of VERY inexpensive stripper clips). It is accurate, reliable, low recoil firepower that can have VERY nice wood stocks (Russian models).

Heck, my Russian one I picked up is a dream, plus an old Norinco stock I have I painted white to swap out during the winter! :D

gunman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jasper Co.
    since i have no experience with an SKS i'll recommend an AK. decent price $400-600, excellent reliability, average accuracy, low recoil. ammo & mags are cheap as well. you'll want to examine the rifle pretty good to determine its quality. crooked sights are quite common on some variants. although not damning i'd check to make sure the magazine well isn't loose and the reciever has nice sharp bends. ak-47.net is a good source for info

jim b

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    The SKS's are great. For low price I would also recommend the Saiga. You should be able to pick these up brand new for less than $350 in .223 or 7.62x39 and a little more for .308 or shotgun. They are high quality for the money and if you want to convert it to pistol grip in the future it helps you lean a lot about the gun and how to work on it.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If you want to go cheap I would suggest an AK47. The SKS is a good choice but it's a tad bigger and heavier. Plus the AK is easy to field strip. I do not even clean mine. I just throw it back into the safe it goes bang every time. Or if you want a smaller caliber then I would suggest a AK74 which fires the 5.45x39. Or, another good choice would be a Saiga chambered in .223.

dudish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    I recently put together an Ar for about $510. It has a cmmg upper and bcg for 350. Lower was an aero that came with a parts kit and i found a good cheap used buttstock. If you had experiance with a colt at one point, i would think you would be comfortable using most any of the current manufactures. There are a few to stay away from, but most people like to play ford vs chevy games with AR brand names.

sorry folks, not a fan of the sks. dont like the erganomics or trigger. and i wouldnt pick either the sks or ak as my only semi auto, unless i coulnt work up the cash for an ar.

good luck with the decision

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Im more of an AK guy, so thats my vote. Either a Saiga or a Romanian WSAR can be picked up for about the same money. While the Saiga won't be converted to standard AK configuration, it will function just as well, and be a little better in the build dept. If down the road you want to convert, that is easy as well.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Honestly, any of those three would be very good. The SKS wins hands down for durability and cheap. The AK, as we all know, because the movies tell us so, you can throw into the mud and come out firing,,, the AR... lots more delicate, but a marksman's wet dream, if built right. How much do you want to spend, again..??? :)

CorvetteTom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Shelbyville
    How much do you want to spend, again..??? :)

What are you a used car salesman? :laugh:

It's not about how much, it's about how little. I'm leaning towards an SKS so far, I started pricing them and it was a pleasant surprise.

Not looking for a sniper rifle, just a target rifle that will step up in duty if the SHTF. I guess it's better to be partially prepared than not prepared at all.

Thanks for all the info so far, guys!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My vote to meet your criteria is the SKS. Face and recrown the muzzle and add the firing pin spring and it is good to go. Stock up on ammo and stripper clips and you are good to go.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Second the SKS: Darn good defensive/offensive round, cheap and plentiful ammo, if one is not foolish converting to external detachable mags, the fixed 10 rounder is reliable and you only need the one (and a bunch of VERY inexpensive stripper clips). It is accurate, reliable, low recoil firepower that can have VERY nice wood stocks (Russian models).

Heck, my Russian one I picked up is a dream, plus an old Norinco stock I have I painted white to swap out during the winter! :D

Have you had a bad experience with detachable mags, or do you just find stripper clips to be more convenient and cheaper? I've had nothing but good experiences with my Tapco 20rd mags. But I'm halfway thinking of going back to the original mag and clips. My only reason would be that stripper clips are so cheap.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I had a few SKS's, a have few AK's and a few AR's. If you want in with a good SHTF gun at the lowest price with the most ammo available, select the AK. You can find one with a double stack mag for around $350 if you look. It is reliable. It is a fun gun to shoot too.

Now, you said target shooting. If you want to do target shooting go with the AR. It is a lot pricier and the ammo is more expensive. If SHTF then .223 gets harder to find. The AK is a run gun at the range but no one has ever called an AK a target rifle.

The SKS is worthless IMHO. The last one I bought was a Russian manufacture for $99. That was 20 years ago. They are what they are. Not accurate, bulky, heavy and with more felt recoil than an AK. I don't know why but I feel a lot more recoil when shooting an SKS than shooting an AK. If you can find an SKS for $250 and an AK for $350, there is no question which I would buy.

As a SHTF rifle, the SKS was not made for detachable mags either. The AK was. AK mags are plentiful. AK parts are plentiful. That is why I have a couple of AR's, one SKS and several AK's in my vault.

rfontes

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Noblesville
    this is the dilemma i had about 2 months ago. i decided to get a AR carbine. im very happy with my choice, ammo, accessory options, and spare part availability is great, accuracy is on point, overall aesthetics of the rifle is fantastic IMO, but one draw back, it left me with a empty wallet. i think i got that black rifle disease or something...

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    Corvette - thanks for posting your question. I am ignorant on this topic as well but very interested. I did have an SKS that was stolen a while back. It was the first gun of this type for me but I liked it very much.

CorvetteTom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Shelbyville
    well since im sitting on my butt all day healing from my surgery ive found you some links to mull over. I also have lots of info on kits as well. im planning on ordering several things from this site and i hear the have a good rep from other ingoers.:ingo:

.223 Rifles

5.45x39 Rifles

.308 Rifles

7.62x39 Rifles

Thank you for taking the time to do this. BIG help in my search. Maybe I'll hit the lottery before I buy then I can get an AR. :D

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Now, you said target shooting. If you want to do target shooting go with the AR. It is a lot pricier and the ammo is more expensive. If SHTF then .223 gets harder to find. The AK is a run gun at the range but no one has ever called an AK a target rifle.

99% of the people who want to target shoot won't put the time and effort into becoming a better shooter than the gun they shoot. And once someone has put in the time and effort, they don't have to ask the question what gun is better.

Most people blame the gun when they can't shoot well. I've encountered very, very few rifles that truly can't keep 2-3 moa at 100 yards when paired with ammo tuned for that gun and a proper sighting system. When the loose nut behind the trigger is tightened, then the next most likely culprit is the ammo.

It's a fallacy to believe you need to start out with a sub-moa gun for target shooting. Unless you are unbelievably gifted, it takes lots of practice and thousands of rounds shot and dry fired to be able to shoot sub-moa (honest sub-moa, not the occasional 3 round group) from anything but a stable rest.

Top Bottom