• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm curious what people are using who shoot pistol competitions. I shoot long range rifle competitions, that usually throw in some pistol targets here and there, but it's certainly not the focus of the event or challenging targets. For what I've been doing I've been using my G17 gen 4 with Trijicon HD sights and a rounds trigger guard, otherwise it's a straight up glock. Every so often I get a chance to see or work the action on a professionally tuned gun and I'm always impressed. I've kicked around getting something fancy, but then I always talk myself out of it.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    You have given very little information, which is probably why the thread has over 30 views and no responses...

What kind of competition? SCSA, IPSC, USPSA, IDPA, Rimfire, etc?

What class do you intend to compete in? Open, Stock, Compact, Optics or Irons, etc?

Reactions: Leo

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The types of competitions I enjoy the most are long range rifle competitions that include some pistol shooting. Usually at steel plates, that are not super tiny and far away. Most of the pistol work at the competitions I go seems to be there to keep the rifle guys honest. I don't do any of the competitions you listed, and it's anything goes as far as equipment. The competitions I attend are Guardian Long Range, Mammoth Sniper Challenge, Major Land Match.

I hope that helps and provides some clarity.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Don't forget Beretta pistols... very accurate shooters!
    Back when I did competition I used a 92FS stainless for 2 gun competition.
    You are correct it's a accurate pistol. I think nowadays they probably have something better for competition than the standard 92FS.
    I still regret selling it. However, it's still in the family protection business. My BIL owns it now.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I would keep shooting the Glock. Better yet, get a Gen 5 MOS. G45/G19 MOS?

The RDS might make a difference shooting steel plates? It has for me, in my limited RDS experience.

The Glock is as good as any of the rest in the rifle competition. On top of being the most likely to be on your belt for EDC.

:twocents:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    QdahSBi.jpg

Limited Minor USPSA gun , CZ Tactical Sport Orange tbag has been worked over a bit. 20+1 capacity and a sub one pound SAO trigger. The next step up is a 2011 IMHO.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Back when I did competition I used a 92FS stainless for 2 gun competition.
    You are correct it's a accurate pistol. I think nowadays they probably have something better for competition than the standard 92FS.
    I still regret selling it. However, it's still in the family protection business. My BIL owns it now.
    My wife's 92FS is a tack-driver at 30'...
    I have a 92D Centurion...and I love it!
    Both are smooth shooters...

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Don't forget Beretta pistols... very accurate shooters!
    I've got an M9A3 that I may end up taking to this next competition. I'm a big fan of beretta's. I'm going to compare that vs my G17 with a couple different ammo varieties I have on hand if one is the clear winner it gets to go.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    The 1911 design lends itself well to competition / target shooting.
    They can be very accurate, and their triggers are pretty much unmatched.
    You'll want a name brand one to start with for reliability.
    A LOT of companies make 1911s, but they don't all make them well.

I have a Dan Wesson Guardian (yes, in 9mm) I carry at times, and it is (by far) the most accurate pistol I've ever shot with.
    At least, it's the one I'm the best with.
    Mine is factory stock except for a set of grips.
    That being said, the 1911 has a TON of aftermarket support for custom parts.
    Also... one of our INGO people (AllenM) is, if I'm not mistaken, pretty much a 1911 expert.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    QdahSBi.jpg

Limited Minor USPSA gun , CZ Tactical Sport Orange tbag has been worked over a bit. 20+1 capacity and a sub one pound SAO trigger. The next step up is a 2011 IMHO.
    I held a CZ competition the other day, but it had the blue grips. I don't know enough about CZ's to pick apart the differences between the competition models, but man that thing was smooth and had a nice trigger. I don't know if I'm ready to drop $1,700 on a pistol yet, but it sure had me thinking about it.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The 1911 design lends itself well to competition / target shooting.
    They can be very accurate, and their triggers are pretty much unmatched.
    You'll want a name brand one to start with for reliability.
    A LOT of companies make 1911s, but they don't all make them well.

I have a Dan Wesson Guardian (yes, in 9mm) I carry at times, and it is (by far) the most accurate pistol I've ever shot with.
    At least, it's the one I'm the best with.
    Mine is factory stock except for a set of grips.
    That being said, the 1911 has a TON of aftermarket support for custom parts.
    Also... one of our INGO people (AllenM) is, if I'm not mistaken, pretty much a 1911 expert.
    I'm still a fan of the 1911 and the ones I've had have always ran well. A tricked out 1911 has always been on my want list so maybe that's a good route for me too.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Find a Steel Challenge match near you, take what handgun(s) you have, and try it out. You will most likely enter production or limited class. Don't need anything fancy to try any of the pistol competitions if you can see iron sights good enough. When I shoot CF in competitions, I usually use a revolver.

Top Bottom