What Watches Do INGO Members Wear? "What's on your forearm"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I am very picky about my watches. I peruse the selection very, very carefully, then pick the cheapest one that has: big dial, big numbers, low price tag. By the time the original battery wears out, the glass is cracked/broken, and the band is coming apart, so I just buy a new watch. Usually at Meijer or Walmart.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ran Seiko dive watch for years. Too much impact/ vibe killed ( never took it off ). Went cheap w Fossil and dang if the two each about lasted as long as the Seiko.

Next one will proly be Shinola.
    My limit is 1500 but if I can go under a K thats even better.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Ran Seiko dive watch for years. Too much impact/ vibe killed ( never took it off ). Went cheap w Fossil and dang if the two each about lasted as long as the Seiko.

Next one will proly be Shinola.
    My limit is 1500 but if I can go under a K thats even better.

I've had two Shinola watches and both had to go back for warranty repairs within a year of owning them. Not impressed. BTW the founder of Shinola also founded ... drum roll ... Fossil.

The whole Detroit vibe is a clever marketing hook, but not altogether accurate. If you're looking for a solid watch with American roots, take a look at Vaer. I have two of those as well and both have been bulletproof from day one, and that's with a few hundred days of wear combined between the two.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I thought I was done with watches and haven't worn one for at least 10 years now.

That said, I'm starting to do more cardio and would like a way to measure heart rate. In the "old days" I wore a Polar Heart Rate Monitor with the chest strap. I was really into it; setting up training zones, V02 max, resting HR, HRV, all the metrics.

I'm not sure I want to revisit all of that as it consumes time evaluating and logging the data, but I am thinking I want to start tracking HR again.

My cursory look yesterday brought up a new to me array of products, many which require subscriptions to utilize. I am not interested in that.

Beyond that are the FitBits of which I have no interest and I saw some Garmin products that could work.

If any of you have any suggestions, I'm listening.

Budget is not wide open so I would like to keep it under $200.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...I'm not sure I want to revisit all of that as it consumes time evaluating and logging the data, but I am thinking I want to start tracking HR again.

My cursory look yesterday brought up a new to me array of products, many which require subscriptions to utilize. I am not interested in that...
    I am only familiar with Garmin products, but I log nothing, just wear the watch. You do have to create a login, but no $$$ is required.

I can open the app on my phone or PC and see HR, pulse Ox, sleep, steps, floors climbed etc, etc, etc.

Over the holidays I overheard my son, a Garmin rep, recommend the Garmin Forerunner 55 to someone looking for a watch in the $200ish price range.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am only familiar with Garmin products, but I log nothing, just wear the watch. You do have to create a login, but no $$$ is required.

I can open the app on my phone or PC and see HR, pulse Ox, sleep, steps, floors climbed etc, etc, etc.

Over the holidays I overheard my son, a Garmin rep, recommend the Garmin Forerunner 55 to someone looking for a watch in the $200ish price range.
    I have had Garmin products before and always had good success with them. Heck I still use a Garmin Navigation GPS in my car. Just prefer it over using Google Maps.

That 55 looks like it might be the ticket. Could it be that easy, lol?

Next will be one for my wife.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have had Garmin products before and always had good success with them. Heck I still use a Garmin Navigation GPS in my car. Just prefer it over using Google Maps.

That 55 looks like it might be the ticket. Could it be that easy, lol?

Next will be one for my wife.
    I just recently resurrected my dad's old Garmin dezl 760 GPS. He bought it back when he was an OTR truck driver, like 20 years ago. It probably hasn't worked for the last 10 years. When my kid went to work for Garmin, the old man hit him up to fix it. Kid plugged it into his laptop and said, it's a brick. Buy a new one. Since I had the Garmin Express software on my PC, I decide to try it. After a complete charge, I plugged it into the PC. Still a brick. After some google-fu that mentioned it being picky about cables, I went through several before I found a micro-USB that made the screen light right up. It needed dozens of software/map updates and a micro-SD card for the additional memory they required, but it's back to working like new.

My wife has the Garmin Lily watch and loves it.

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    I’m as old school as the lot of you. But I wear Apple Watch now. Reasons being, being all old. I suffer afib and my watch will alert me if detected. As long as I wear it tracks my activity, I like that too. I can take ekg with it. It really didn’t think I would like it but I do. Plus I get to pick my watch face. Right now it shows heart rate, time, day, date, todays weather, current temp, hi, low, uv index, move time, exercise time, stand time and battery charge. This is the watch face before opening up the watch for apps. Downside is it needs charged every other day.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I just recently resurrected my dad's old Garmin dezl 760 GPS. He bought it back when he was an OTR truck driver, like 20 years ago. It probably hasn't worked for the last 10 years. When my kid went to work for Garmin, the old man hit him up to fix it. Kid plugged it into his laptop and said, it's a brick. Buy a new one. Since I had the Garmin Express software on my PC, I decide to try it. After a complete charge, I plugged it into the PC. Still a brick. After some google-fu that mentioned it being picky about cables, I went through several before I found a micro-USB that made the screen light right up. It needed dozens of software/map updates and a micro-SD card for the additional memory they required, but it's back to working like new.

My wife has the Garmin Lily watch and loves it.
    I'm going to look closer at the the 55 but also the Vivoactive 4S for me and the Lily for my wife. She is very small, so the size may not work for her but we will see.

I also like the 40mm size of the 4S a little better than the 55. What does your son think of the 4S?

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I'm going to look closer at the the 55 but also the Vivoactive 4S for me and the Lily for my wife. She is very small, so the size may not work for her but we will see.

I also like the 40mm size of the 4S a little better than the 55. What does your son think of the 4S?
    He's not a big fan Vivoactive models. But he's a runner and I think he kinda looks down on the 'lifestyle' smartwatches.

My wife has very small wrists and the Lily is great for her.

I wouldn't let the size of the 55 scare you. I started with the Fenix 6, which I thought was huge. I now have the Tactix 7, which is actually HUGE, and I love it.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Nutnfancy but this is the one that’s served me for the last 9 years. Timex Expedition. Bought it at the Great Lakes NEX during A school. Been through a lot with this fella. Took it all the way up into the arctic waters even. No plans to replace it. 1DF3807A-C218-4B57-8FC6-079706C65791.jpeg
    BE375C75-0A80-410A-9239-6CDFC591F475.jpeg
    Held up surprisingly well for an inexpensive watch. I believe it’s a resin case with acrylic lens. Ended up ditching the original strap loop and put an O ring on there instead. Seems to be more comfortable.

Top Bottom