What Watches Do INGO Members Wear? "What's on your forearm"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AC3D

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I'm a 100% mechanical watch guy so far. My kid likes them too and he has a couple, but he's a runner so a smart watch with a fitness tracking app makes sense for him. He bought a Garmin a while back and loved it. Now his mechanical watches only get worn for dress up.

He started a new job at Garmin last week and has been giving me the hard sell on getting a smart watch. His primary selling point is his 45% employee discount. I browsed the options and even at 45% off, I don't think I'm going to be buying one. I had no idea you could spend over a grand on one of these things.

His first day on the job the gave him about 10 different watches from their line up to wear/play with.

His current favorite is the tactix® 7 – Pro Ballistics Edition model. I comes with lots of handy features like a ballistics calculator that works with your laser rangefinder and portable weather station, jumpmaster mode for when you need to jump from a plane and navigate to an objective, a green or white LED flashlight, even a handy app with maps of almost every golf course on earth.

It retails for about $1600.:faint:
    I have been a Garmin fanboy since the original Fenix watch. I have had my fair share mostly in the sport category and currently daily drive a Forerunner 945. I wish I had your sons discount haha. They are expensive but are feature packed for their price point. If you are in the smart watch game I really do think they are the best.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    Has anyone checked out the new Protek watches? They are made by the orignal owner of luminox. Seen them at shot show, and just ordered one. Haven't seen many reviews yet. I'm not a watch guy but have a family member who is big into watches. He said it checked all the right boxes.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I was always a Timex guy but I was in a jewelry store with the wife and decided it was time for a upgrade. Definitely nothing high end but I picked up a Bulova watch for a couple hundred that hopefully will be my forever watch. Its plain enough, I don't do fancy unless its guns..lol. but yet it does have a feel and look of quality. I know to the watch junkies it's nothing special but its working for me

Attachments

• 1667479503568894414521548792010.jpg
      1667479503568894414521548792010.jpg
      258.7 KB · Views: 13

DATA1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I never wore a watch every day until I bought a garmin instinct on a whim during an Amazon sale. Been wearing it daily for over a year now and love all the features that are packed into this thing. Also, the battery lasts days with my usage and charge it 1x a week or so.

Rayz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2020
    Martinsville
    I gave up on watches years ago when smart phones became smarter than me. I use my phone for time now. May look at a watch in the future

DolomiteDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2022
    Carmel
    Marathon TSAR a friend of mine gave me many moons ago. That or a bulova. I break things so I try to avoid wearing expensive watches regularly; save that for weddings, events etc.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I prefer the Casio MRW series watches. In my line of work a watch has to be virtually indestructible and not a liability $$$$ if somethjng gets compromised.
    I had been wearing the MRW watches for approx 8 years now and is worn in absolutely every condition possible.
    My MRW’s have been lost buried in the snow, ran over pulled out of a concrete mixer smashed, found submerged in the bottom of a swap pool for a few days and simply abused and I have not had 1 single issue with them. I replace the batteries every 3-4 years.

I consider MRW’s to be the AK47 of watches, simple, incredibly tough, easy to maintain and replace.
    For someone looking for a no frills watch that is simple, attractive and stupid dependable check out Casio’s MRW line.

I’m currently trying out the AO line Casio with solar cells, he’s on the far right.
    They are made very similar to the MRW’s

image.jpg

:wwub:
    61C25C77-61BD-4ABE-A66C-9E64902E2832.jpeg

I have been looking at some ORIS and maybe try Marathon again with the sweet sweet Tritium, hopefully the bezels aren’t made of crackers on the higher end watches.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I prefer the Casio MRW series watches. In my line of work a watch has to be virtually indestructible and not a liability $$$$ if somethjng gets compromised.
    I had been wearing the MRW watches for approx 8 years now and is worn in absolutely every condition possible.
    My MRW’s have been lost buried in the snow, ran over pulled out of a concrete mixer smashed, found submerged in the bottom of a swap pool for a few days and simply abused and I have not had 1 single issue with them. I replace the batteries every 3-4 years.

I consider MRW’s to be the AK47 of watches, simple, incredibly tough, easy to maintain and replace.
    For someone looking for a no frills watch that is simple, attractive and stupid dependable check out Casio’s MRW line.

I’m currently trying out the AO line Casio with solar cells, he’s on the far right.

View attachment 238019

View attachment 238020

I have been looking at some ORIS and maybe try Marathon again with the sweet sweet Tritium, hopefully the bezels aren’t made of crackers on the higher end watches.
    Dang buddy. Have you ever considered having your arms waxed?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

View attachment 238019

View attachment 238020

I have one of those in my collection.
    I like the dial with military time since it's what I use at work (not that it's hard to add 12 to your regular digits anyway).
    It's what I had before I switched to a G-Shock.
    You can't go wrong with Casio, even their cheaper non-G-Shock models are really tough.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Luminox Series 3150 with a polymer watchband. I really like it! View attachment 236832
    I love those tritium watches but sadly they are illegal to be sold where I'm at, so it's hard to get.

I have worn the poor's man version (or cheap copy, or "homage") for a while on a NATO strap.

ADDIES-montre-de-sport-pour-hommes-montre-de-plong-e-Quartz-tanche-50m-lunette-rotative-lumineuse.jpg

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I love those tritium watches but sadly they are illegal to be sold where I'm at, so it's hard to get.

I have worn the poor's man version (or cheap copy, or "homage") for a while on a NATO strap.

ADDIES-montre-de-sport-pour-hommes-montre-de-plong-e-Quartz-tanche-50m-lunette-rotative-lumineuse.jpg
    Not to side track but why are they Illegal?

Also based on the rave reviews by Someone here at indigo Garmin for me

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Not to side track but why are they Illegal?

Also based on the rave reviews by Someone here at indigo Garmin for me

Tritium is a radioactive controlled substance in some/most countries.

It's legally considered like having a nuke on your wrist. :):

I think tritium gun sights are also illegal to own or import.

Even in the US tritium is a controlled substance. It depends on quantity.
    Because tritium is used in boosted fission weapons and thermonuclear weapons (though in quantities several thousand times larger than that in a keychain), consumer and safety devices containing tritium for use in the United States are subject to certain possession, resale, disposal, and use restrictions. In the US, devices such as self-luminous exit signs, gauges, wristwatches, etc. that contain small amounts of tritium are under the jurisdiction of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, and are subject to possession, distribution, and import and export regulations found in 10 CFR Parts, 30, 32, and 110. They are also subject to regulations for possession, use, and disposal in certain states. Luminous products containing more tritium than needed for a wristwatch are not widely available at retail outlets in the United States

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I decided to try one of the Citizens diver watches. Way too big and heavy for me. Plus the watch band either is way loose in the morning so it fits later, or it fits in the morning and hurts my wrist in the afternoon from being too tight. There is just no give in the band.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My son, who works for Garmin, upgraded my hand me down Fenix 6 sapphire for a Tactix 7.

It's kinda HUGE, but my 50 year old eyes kinda appreciate that. Touch screen is a really nice upgrade. As is the ridiculous 20+ day battery life, compared to 3-4 days from the old Fenix.

It's kinda the base model, so it lacks solar charging and the ballistics calculator, but somehow I'll get by. :D

RRjr70Wl.jpg

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I decided to try one of the Citizens diver watches. Way too big and heavy for me. Plus the watch band either is way loose in the morning so it fits later, or it fits in the morning and hurts my wrist in the afternoon from being too tight. There is just no give in the band.
    When my Citizen watch died on me many years ago, I sent it in for repair. Citizen said that it couldn't be repaired, but offered me a deal on a new Citizen Eco Drive Skyhawk. It is titanium, so light weight and the metal band has a lock on it. Based on comfort, durability and accuracy, I wouldn't trade it for a Rolex! It probably has too many features for most, so a Citizen titanium that just has the time and date would suit most folks.

Top Bottom