• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'll be the first to say the best safety is your finger. Don't pull the trigger, gun will not discharge. :dunno:

I agree, I dont want any kind of safety
    My brain and finger are enough.
    A safety ads more parts that can go wrong, not needed even for a new shooter.
    All those guns who are "very safe" because they have 10 kinds of safety are a danger for new shooters because that wont teach them how to control their trigger finger and let them think that no nechanical safety can fail on their gun.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Unless you have monkey thumbs (aka Sloan) ,frame mounted safeties seem easier to manipulate unless you do muscle memory drill to *snick* it off.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    images

other than that, I like the frame safety on the 1911s, but I like the DA semi-auto where you can chamber a round, de-cock it and then leave the safety off as you carry.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Frame mounted safeties are my preference( like 1911's ) ,trigger safety on the Glock line is great as well & follows the trigger finger safety rule above

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Finger and your brain are the only safeties that you can trust.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Which do you like best,in frame or in slide?
    I like the frame best. Like the Colt 1911,EAA witness ,Taurus Pt92/99 and others for an example.
    For me they are easer to take off and on. What say you?

I also prefer a frame mounted safety. The disengagement is a more natural motion.

I'll be the first to say the best safety is your finger. Don't pull the trigger, gun will not discharge. :dunno:

I'll be the first to safe that it is unsafe and irresponsible to carry a semi auto that isn't DA/SA. All single action or striker fired pistol need a safety. The presence of a safety doesn't negate trigger finger discipline. It enhances it.

BTW, the OP didn't ask whether or not you prefer a safety. It asked which kind you prefer.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I prefer no safety on my Pistols. I tend to use a holster for this function.

On my long guns well that is certainly a different story. I do want a safety located somewhere convenient on them. Depends on the type of stock where I want and/or what kind of safety I use.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    BTW, the OP didn't ask whether or not you prefer a safety. It asked which kind you prefer.

I answered that question and did not mean to come across in a sarcastic way. I think in general we need to always have this point present whenever safeties are discussed because some folks that the term safety way too literally.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I prefer no safety on my Pistols. I tend to use a holster for this function.

On my long guns well that is certainly a different story. I do want a safety located somewhere convenient on them. Depends on the type of stock where I want and/or what kind of safety I use.

The rifle doesn't have a holster so it needs a safety and the pistol doesn't because it does have a holster? What about when the pistol is out of the holster?

I answered that question and did not mean to come across in a sarcastic way. I think in general we need to always have this point present whenever safeties are discussed because some folks that the term safety way too literally.

Understood. :ingo:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The rifle doesn't have a holster so it needs a safety and the pistol doesn't because it does have a holster? What about when the pistol is out of the holster?

When the Pistol is out of the Holster it is either unloaded for Storage or Maintenance, or it is out of the Holster being used. ;)

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Frame mounted is definitely easier to manipulate than slide mounted. But that leaves the slide-mounted as easier to set to "off" and leave there forever.

I don't care too much, because I don't use a mechanical safety on my handguns.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I do not like a manual safety on a handgun. To me it's one more step that has to be performed, if you ever have to use it in a SD situation. Some will say it's all about training. However, when the adrenaline starts pumping. I want to be able to draw ready to fire. I prefer a hammer fired pistol with the ability to decock the hammer. Some hate the transition from DA too SA. To me it's is second nature though. We carried the 92FS in the service. So, that's the way I'm used to carrying and qualifying. I currently carry a FNP9 and I carry with the hammer down. I also own a FNP40 and a 92FS. That's my personal preference.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    I also prefer a frame mounted safety. The disengagement is a more natural motion.

I'll be the first to safe that it is unsafe and irresponsible to carry a semi auto that isn't DA/SA. All single action or striker fired pistol need a safety. The presence of a safety doesn't negate trigger finger discipline. It enhances it.

To each his own, although you are incorrect, in my opinion, that stiker fired and even SAOs (which an XD is) need a safety. At least if you are referring to thumb safeties. I think firing pin safeties are a good thing, but I'm not going to call someone irresponsible for carrying a gun without one. I suppose Glock, Kahr, Springfield, Smith and Wesson, etc are all making dangerous pistols, eh? I'm not a hater of safeties, I have them on one of my guns, but it's personal preference only. And regarding the OP, I prefer 1911 style. I actually won't own a gun with a slide mount unless it goes the "correct" way. AFAIK, the Makarov is the only slide mount with down as fire.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    To each his own, although you are incorrect, in my opinion, that stiker fired and even SAOs (which an XD is) need a safety. At least if you are referring to thumb safeties. I think firing pin safeties are a good thing, but I'm not going to call someone irresponsible for carrying a gun without one. I suppose Glock, Kahr, Springfield, Smith and Wesson, etc are all making dangerous pistols, eh? I'm not a hater of safeties, I have them on one of my guns, but it's personal preference only. And regarding the OP, I prefer 1911 style. I actually won't own a gun with a slide mount unless it goes the "correct" way. AFAIK, the Makarov is the only slide mount with down as fire.

I stand by what I said. As a matter of clarification, I was referring to either a grip or thumb safety. Although the reason a XD can get away with only a grip safety is because it is a sear block rather than simply a trigger block like a 1911.

The interesting thing about your post is that I have very little use for internal safeties. a firing pin safety makes sense on something like a 1911 because the firing pin operates separately from the hammer(obviously.) Yet with a striker fired gun not only would the circumstances have to be just right for the gun to discharge when dropped but there would have to sufficient to actually break sear engagement. I also find trigger safeties silly. If a finger (I know, no one ever has a lax moment) or anything finds its way in the trigger guard a trigger safety won't help anything. All a trigger safety does is make the trigger feel weird.

My theory is that adding all these silly and redundant internal safeties is merely compensation for the lack of an actual safety. Why have them if all you need is your trigger finger? My carry gun rotation consists of a Colt Gold cup and a XD45 tactical. The 1911 is a 80 series so it has the firing pin safety and all manual safeties intact. I removed the striker safety from the XD when I gave it a trigger job. I would remove the trigger safety but I'm worried the gap left in the trigger would irritate my finger. I'll find a way around it at some point. I'll keep what is necessary and get rid of the rest.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    I stand by what I said. As a matter of clarification, I was referring to either a grip or thumb safety. Although the reason a XD can get away with only a grip safety is because it is a sear block rather than simply a trigger block like a 1911.

The interesting thing about your post is that I have very little use for internal safeties. a firing pin safety makes sense on something like a 1911 because the firing pin operates separately from the hammer(obviously.) Yet with a striker fired gun not only would the circumstances have to be just right for the gun to discharge when dropped but there would have to sufficient to actually break sear engagement. I also find trigger safeties silly. If a finger (I know, no one ever has a lax moment) or anything finds its way in the trigger guard a trigger safety won't help anything. All a trigger safety does is make the trigger feel weird.

My theory is that adding all these silly and redundant internal safeties is merely compensation for the lack of an actual safety. Why have them if all you need is your trigger finger? My carry gun rotation consists of a Colt Gold cup and a XD45 tactical. The 1911 is a 80 series so it has the firing pin safety and all manual safeties intact. I removed the striker safety from the XD when I gave it a trigger job. I would remove the trigger safety but I'm worried the gap left in the trigger would irritate my finger. I'll find a way around it at some point. I'll keep what is necessary and get rid of the rest.
    I think we view safeties as having differing functions. On a pistol, I prefer safeties that prevent discharge by parts breaking and/ or dropping the pistol. You seem to prefer ones that prevent discharge by user error, although I'm not sure a grip safety falls into that category. I'll agree with you on the trigger safeties, although I ground the one in my Glock down so that it is flush when my finger is on the trigger. My worry with an external safety is that I will forget to remove it when I need it. My firing pin safety doesn't add another step as it is off when the trigger is pulled. You may be correct about the likelyhood of a stiker fired gun firing when dropped, but I'm sure it's in there for a reason, and doesn't affect my reaction time. Different strokes I guess, there's plenty on both sides. Is that trigger safety on the XD metal or plastic? If it's plastic, just scrape it down a bit with a knife until it's flush when depressed. If it's metal, dremel may be the way to go.

Top Bottom