• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    This. Doesn't matter what we think. Depends on what YOU think, are proficient with and comfortable carrying. Neither of those options would work for me personally because I am not familiar nor proficient with them. Throw any size 1911 in my hand and that changes for me. But.... I've been shooting 1911's for 2 years now. Anything else feels foreign.
    Again, I was just looking for some food for thought. Not a prescriptive answer. The way the discussion has been going is really what I was looking for. :D

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Probably one of my favorite carry guns I gave to my dad. First gen Taurus 24/7 Pro Compact .45. 10+1 with a spare 12+1. Grip angle similar to what I was used to, thumb safety and a nice long first trigger pull. I wish I still had that one. But again I wouldn't recommend one for a beginner. Taurus quality in that era was a coin toss. Lighweight .45 can be a little much for smaller framed people and not everyone wants to steal their attackers souls.... I'm a ginger so it comes naturally.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I'm a J-Frame lover, and not a Glock fanboy, but have an appreciation for them. I don't currently own any Glocks, but I have a nice little collection of J-Frames going, and carry one on a daily basis. That said, they're not for everyone, or for every situation. Here's my input, which is worth what you paid for it...I'll try to be objective here:

1. Don't make a carry-gun choice because you want to get proficient with it. Carry what you are already proficient with. Being a frugal guy with a limited budget, I get the idea of trying to kill two birds with one stone, but the cost-savings isn't going to help you in a gunfight, it will ultimately cost you a lot more.

What I would suggest if you're wanting to try out a new gun is take it to a class. I'd still probably spend some time with it on the range first to make sure I'm somewhat familiar and proficient and not wasting my tuition money by showing up with a gun I know nothing about, but pushing your limits and putting a decently high round-count through a particular firearm is a great way to vet a new gun and build some proficiency with it. Better to do that in the safe environment of a class than on the street. You may have to shop around to find a revolver class these days, but I'm sure they're out there.

2. In my opinion the J-Frame is suitable as a backup gun, or as a primary in a very limited scope of situations. My 640 Pro serves as a backup to a full-size P320 every day at work. I carry it or a 360 around the house/neighborhood when I don't feel like lugging around something bigger, or to places where it's not socially acceptable to carry something bigger. A 3" Model 60 is my backpacking companion, due to it's lightweight, hard punch, and reliability. They're convenient, concealable, easy on my back, and the substantial trigger pull and DA system makes them safe to carry in a wide variety of configurations and environments.

I wouldn't want to carry a revolver as a duty gun, nor do I carry just a J-frame when I'm out and about around town. I want something more capable in those situations. That said, I reject the idea that these are just a "belly-gun" (although the ability to make contact shots without pushing it out of battery is definitely a plus, especially as a backup gun)...I can qualify with one out to 25 yards just fine, but they are undeniably harder to shoot at that distance than a service-sized semi-auto. They also have very limited capacity, and are slow to reload (unless you're Jerry Miculek, which I'm certainly not). The J-Frame is really not a great beginner gun, but if you're willing to put the time and effort in on one they can be a useful in the right application.

3. The Glock 43 would also not be my first choice for somebody new to shooting. Micro-compacts like that have a shorter sight radius, snappier recoil, and the small grips make them harder to hold on to under recoil. Like they J-Frame, they can be learned, but it takes more work than a bigger semi-auto. It sounds like you've had it for a couple of years, though, and have put some time in on it. If you're proficient with it, IMO it's definitely a better carry choice for you than an unfamiliar 642. The ability to reload quickly with spare magazines is another huge plus over the revolver if it's going to be a primary carry gun.

4. Whatever you get, make sure you buy a good belt and a good holster. Something that positively retains the gun (should be able to turn it upside down and shake it without the gun falling out) and protects the trigger-guard from any type of outside incursion. And be incredibly careful that nothing gets inside the trigger guard when you're re-holstering, especially carrying appendix...shooting your nuts off will really put a damper on your carry experience!

A final note on proficiency: Don't get sucked into the internet argument that "most defensive shootings happen within 7 yards, so if I can hit a silhouette at that range, I'm good." That's the lowest common denominator, and most people can do that...including the bad guys. You have to be better than them if you're going to have a hope of coming out on top. You can't just hit him anywhere, either...a mortally wounded bad guy can still kill you, and just because he bleeds out three hours or even minutes later isn't going to do you any good if he puts 10 rounds into you before he does. The goal isn't to kill the bad guy, it's to stop the aggression. To win you need immediate incapacitation, and there are only a few small target areas that are going to achieve that. You have to be able to hit those quickly, under extreme stress, and while they're moving.

Also, the bad guy doesn't have to worry about collateral damage...he doesn't care. You do. What if there are innocent people in the area? What if it's your family? What if it's MY family? You have to train to keep every round on target, while managing your foreground and backstop in a dynamic environment.

There's no defined standard out there for a private citizen carrying a gun, but IMO it's wise to consider those things as you establish your own training routine and goals. Are you able to meet your goals at your current training level? If not, is it a lack of training holding you back or your choice of tools? Is there a better tool out there that would make it easier or more cost-effective to meet your goals, or is it just a matter of putting in more well-directed time on the tools that you already have?

Good luck and good shooting!

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    They're convenient, concealable, easy on my back, and the substantial trigger pull and DA system makes them safe to carry in a wide variety of configurations and environments.

Thanks for the great reply. It helps my decision a lot. Although what you said here does remind me of something I forgot to mention in my initial post: what would you say to someone who is thinking (or "worrying", perhaps) about carrying generally? I've gotten more comfortable with the idea than when I first got into firearms a couple years ago. But another thing that drew me to the J-frame was the DA-only design, for the sake of a little bit more peace-of-mind when carrying in a holster. In the case of either the J-frame or the 43, I planned to find a kydex holster where the trigger guard is protected, but all things being equal, I still think a little about the "safety" of both competitors as I try to make a decision.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Shoot both. Buy and carry the one you shoot best.
    Don't trust your life to anecdotal experience from people on the internet.
    Absolutely the correct response! I'm a revolver guy at heart and prefer a 5-shot snubbie for EDC (I live out in the county, not in the city) and I'm not fan of 9mm, per say, as an EDC caliber. But, I do own a 43X and I do like the way it shoots, at least equal to, the S&W 360J that I prefer.
    I like the way the smaller 43X grip fits in my smaller hands, the way the pistol performs, and the 10 round magazine (standard) is double that of the 5-shot, .38 special snubbie!
    With the 43X, choose your ammo carefully as with the shorter barrel, velocity is less than stated on the box because all ammo is test fired using a 4" barrel (standard). Short-barreled ammo is designed to overcome or recover that loss of performance or velocity.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Thanks for the great reply. It helps my decision a lot. Although what you said here does remind me of something I forgot to mention in my initial post: what would you say to someone who is thinking (or "worrying", perhaps) about carrying generally? I've gotten more comfortable with the idea than when I first got into firearms a couple years ago. But another thing that drew me to the J-frame was the DA-only design, for the sake of a little bit more peace-of-mind when carrying in a holster. In the case of either the J-frame or the 43, I planned to find a kydex holster where the trigger guard is protected, but all things being equal, I still think a little about the "safety" of both competitors as I try to make a decision.
    The best thing you can do is obtain some training regarding gun safety, situational awareness, home and personal defense, etc, so you can become more aware of what's going on around you and properly identify potential and actual 'threats', as well as learn how to take steps to a) avoid the situation if at all possible and b) be able to defend yourself early, should you have no other choice (egress the area, seek shelter/protection, and be able to defend yourself with a weapon should you have to.)
    Keep in mind that the more you know the better you are prepared, should the need arise!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    It's definitely an important thing to think about. You need to consider the operating system of the gun that you are using, the holster, where it's going to be on your body, what's it pointing at as you holster/reholster, what could act on it in the holster, and the outcomes of the worst-case scenario.

No matter what gun I'm carrying, I am careful about holster selection and making sure that nothing can act on the trigger, and that it adequately retains the gun. And I'm always very cautious when re-holstering.

In my opinion, some platforms are better suited to different carry methods. For example, I'm perfectly comfortable carrying a striker-fired gun or a cocked-and-locked SAO in an OWB duty holster, or even a good kydex concealment belt holster. That carry system has the gun pointed at the ground and provides a ton of protection for the bits that make it go bang. I've never been comfortable sticking a gun like that in a pocket, even with a good holster and an otherwise empty pocket. I'm ok doing that with a J-Frame, though, as the trigger has to be pulled with some pretty significant intentionality to discharge one of those. If something were to go outrageously wrong, the safety margin is a lot higher with the revolver.

Personally, I've never gotten comfortable with appendix carry, either...just something about muzzling my junk with a loaded gun skeeves me out. A lot of people would disagree with me on that, and that's ok, we can still be friends. It's a perfectly viable method of carry, it can be done safely, and I wouldn't knock anybody else for doing it. I've just decided it's not for me.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I’ll start off by saying I love revolvers! I enjoy shorting them and will on occasion stick a Colt Detective Special or Smith Mod 60 in a jacket pocket for short trips. Having said that I can shoot, carry, conceal and reload my semi automatics much easier and quicker. A small semi auto is easier to shoot and hit with than a small revolver. I didn’t read the whole thread so I’m probably just regurgitating what has already been said but that’s my perspective on the issue. I still love and admire my wheel guns but 99% of the time I’m carrying a semiautomatic.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I have been shooting handguns for about 40 years. My first handgun was a Ruger Mk.II with 5.5 inch bull barrel. My grandfather bought it for me when I was 16. I was a tanker in the Marine Corps. I was issued a 1911. I have carried S&W 637,638,640 and 642 revolvers through the years. I have also carried K, L and N-frame Smiths as well. I like revolvers. However, currently I only own a Ruger SP-101. The rest of my guns are semi-autos. J-Frame Smiths aren't the easiest guns to shoot. Heavy triggers, short sight radius, limited capacity and slow reloads are the biggest problems. I can shoot my Glock 43x much easier than my Ruger SP-101.

The OP mentioned he had a Walther PDP. I would go with that. Get a proper belt and a good holster. You might be surprised how easy it is to carry.

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    The OP mentioned he had a Walther PDP. I would go with that. Get a proper belt and a good holster. You might be surprised how easy it is to carry.
    Yes, sir, I do. I have considered it... but the thing that turns me off to that idea is the thickness. I do appreciate the single-stack 9s out there.

For anybody who's keeping up, I actually branched out and have started to consider something else entirely: Kahr P9. I think it blends a lot of the things I like about the other options together:

• slim, single-stack
    • full grip, kind of like the 43X
    • DAO, like the 642 (but lighter)

:D Plus, it has night sights, so I won't need to upgrade.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Yes, sir, I do. I have considered it... but the thing that turns me off to that idea is the thickness. I do appreciate the single-stack 9s out there.

For anybody who's keeping up, I actually branched out and have started to consider something else entirely: Kahr P9. I think it blends a lot of the things I like about the other options together:

• slim, single-stack

I had a Kahr CW9 for awhile. I really liked it. It had an issue where it would randomly drop the mag during firing. I don't know if it was a one off issue or what, didn't spend anytime trying to fix it and kind of regret trading it off.

It's a little bit smaller than the P9, but same capacity I believe.
    They also had a P9 covert for awhile, never found one to handle though.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

• slim, single-stack

Meh. Kahr pistols are ok, I’ve owned a few. Wouldn’t trade my 43x for any of them, though.

If Palmetto State Armory ever releases their promised Micro Dagger pistol, it will use Glock 43x/48 compatible 15 round mags with a polymer interface with the mag catch. No need to swap out the mag catch, unlike the Shield Arms magazines. Literally double the capacity of a Kahr P9 in the same size pistol.

DolomiteDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2022
    Carmel
    Trying to decide between a Glock 43 and a Smith & Wesson Model 642 for a daily carry.

I'd appreciate some insight from you guys, maybe some anecdotal experience from those who have carried either.

Some facts:
    • I haven't yet carried anything (relatively new to firearms, been shooting for ~2 years).
    • I have shot the 43, and I do like it. Haven't tried the 642 yet.
    • I'm trying to get into revolvers, so killing two birds with one stone (making my daily carry a revolver to get some experience with) would be nice. I ain't rich.
    • I'm a pretty small-stature guy, so I think these 2 firearms make sense.
    • I plan to carry appendix.
    What does everyone think? I imagine the topic of capacity will come up. Personally, I don't see the low capacity of either as a downside. But I'm curious as to what everyone thinks. :D
    I have carried, and continue to carry both. My suggestion, Have both. Capacity is less of an issue than the weight, being able to have a light on it, or shooting from a pocket. They are both great guns, I own both, and doubt ill ever only use one or the other, Just about the right tool for the job.

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    Well, after some more deliberation, I am more seriously leaning toward the Sig P365 (once again; been going back and forth with several options). I have shot it and it feels good to me. I like how an extended mag could lengthen the grip if I want it, and it also comes standard with night sights. If I went with the G43, I was going to upgrade those.

CB1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County
    Shoot a 642 first. If you don't like it then you already know you enjoy shooting the Glock 43. 9mm ammo will also be much cheaper to shoot and also easier to find.

I own/have carried Glock 43 and numerous J frames. Both are useful and both have their pros/cons in that minimalist role.

If I could only own one of the two I would go with the even lighter 340M&P or PD. A better always gun IMO for when you want the lightest while running/cycling etc. Ounces matter. CT grips will help with precision if needed and felt recoil.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    OP here: Decided (finally, a month later) on a Sig P365X. Waiting to retrieve from local FFL, but I will post an update (here, or maybe in a new thread) when I have some first impressions carrying it. Thanks again, all.
    Picked up a P365X in 2021 , quite an accurate pistol , good sights, totally reliable and optics ready. Yes, let us know how you like it.

TLF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Depending on which gun you shoot the best, either of your choices can work. I have shot and carried both and I carry a GLOCK 43(with the addition of a Glock Store plus+2 mag adapter) as my off-duty EDC. There is a lot of good advice being given on other guns but choose the gun that you are going to carry. Remember the first rule to any gunfight is having a gun with you. Good luck.

Top Bottom