What SHTF Scenario Are You Preparing For?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What SHTF Scenario Are You Preparing For? (You may choose more than one)

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    What SHTF scenario are you preparing for and why have you decided to prepare for this scenario?

Defining which scenario you're preparing for will help to clarify your survival plan and the preps you will need. It also helps to establish an estimated timeframe for the disaster and therefore the amount of supplies needed. For example, a January ice storm may last several days or even weeks, whereas an EMP event could extend to months or possibly years. One would be local while the other could national in scope.

Finally, I would just like to know what other people are preparing for as I may be missing something. By sharing we can help each other improve our own plans.

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Among the obvious "natural disaster" scenarios, we plan for the event of both being out of work for extended times (at the same time). Happened before, and we were prepared. Unemployed cross-over time was near 18 months. Being prepared in many ways kept hardship at bay.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Among the obvious "natural disaster" scenarios, we plan for the event of both being out of work for extended times (at the same time). Happened before, and we were prepared. Unemployed cross-over time was near 18 months. Being prepared in many ways kept hardship at bay.

^^^^ This.
    And Zombies.
    zombie02.gif

Tbald14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012

^^^^ This as well

And Economic Down fall. (Maybe not collapse but a damn big down fall.)

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Currently we are just beginning preppers, focusing on natural disasters common in Indiana, like tornadoes, severe storms, and blizzard/ice storms.

My wife and I are currently prepped for 7 days without power in above freezing temps.

We are working up to 14 days in above freezing or 7 days in below freezing.

Our goal is to have our property to be self-sufficient for the duration of the recovery effort.

The major parts of our current stock are..
    $400 cash
    First aid and personal items
    Batteries
    Small TV
    Shortwave, AM/FM, Police, CB, and GRMS/FRS radios (all 12v capable)
    Deep cycle battery for charging cell phones and operating radios/TV
    5 gallons of drinking water
    50 gallon insulated water heater full of water for cooking/flushing #2's/back-up drinking/washing (yes it will be cold and have sediment)
    Various MRE entrees
    15 lbs of fast cook rice
    15 cans of tuna
    Large assortment of canned food
    Dry goods
    8 - 1lb propane cylinders for a small camp stove and a grill to cook food / boil water
    1 - 20lb propane cylinder on grill for back-up / refills
    5 gallons of gasoline for power tools / vehicles + gas in vehicles
    Hand tools, nails and fasteners, boards, and tarps for temporary structure repairs

and of course...

Guns and ammo

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Looks like natural disaster and financial etc. collapse are running neck-in-neck. Collective wisdom says those are the most likely.

I was prepared, but a barn fire claimed my preps on the same day as the boating accident. And it wasn't even Friday the 13th!

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    My wife is a Type I diabetic...so while I'm far from considering myself a 'prepper' ensuring electricity to keep the fridge (and insulin) cold was a #1 priority for me. That meant big generator, gasoline to run it, equipment for the house, and training the wife how to use it.

I'm a hell of a lot more concerned about a storm knocking out power for multiple days while I'm away on a trip, or another Ohio River bridge closure, than I am of a collapse of society or civil war.

..but aliens keep me up at night...okay not really

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Looks like natural disaster and financial etc. collapse are running neck-in-neck. Collective wisdom says those are the most likely.

I was prepared, but a barn fire claimed my preps on the same day as the boating accident. And it wasn't even Friday the 13th!

The lake where we had our boating accident was down from the drought but recovery still beyond currant available technology.......................;)

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm prepping for the return of the glaciers when the next ice age starts. I notice in the last ice age, the glaciers didn't get any farther south than southern Indiana, so that's where I'm shopping for an anti-gov-- uh, anti-glacier compound.

I guess this could be considered an aspect of the first option as a "Snow/Ice Storm".

Also, zombies.

Top Bottom