• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • papa6x

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I'm working on building a .300 BLK upper for my AR. I'm wanting to get some loads worked up to start with while I'm waiting on parts. I'm wondering what primer would be best to use. I'm using Magtech 7 1/2 for my .223 loads. Would this be OK with the .300 or should I use something else? What do you use?

papa6x

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Not well versed so take this for what it is. I have heard from a couple .300 ACC owners that they prefer the magnum small rifle primers. The number/make evades me though.

Added: shibumiseeker[\B] listed the primer I was thinking of. The CCI #41

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    As it is in an AR platform, CCI #41 primers, or Wolf .223 primers if you want to go cheap. I prefer the harder cups in a semiauto rifle with a free floating firing pin.

I have a 300BLK AR I built, and a H&R Handi Rifle in 300BLK and I'll use whatever small rifle primer I have the most of when I am loading the the Handi Rifle.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've just finished an AR, haven't even fired it. Waiting for the can. You can use shortened and necked .223/5.56 cases, though for some reason I saw a guy with a preference for .221s. I can't remember why. The CCI 41s as mentioned are preferred for the floating firing pin. I haven't looked at supersonic recipes yet since I was able to capture some in the wild, but for the subsonics you'll use a pistol powder.

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    I would go with small rifle primers and eaither H110 or A1680 for powder. H110 works great for all rounds, except suppressed rounds. For those I use A1680 topped with a 220 Sierra bullet.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The 300BLK (no ".") has a very wide loading range, it's not really a round one is going to load for extreme precision, and the powders used are all easy to ignite, so as far as the actual ignition is concerned then any small pistol primer will be fine. The only real concern is the one I mentioned and has nothing to do with the performance of the round: you want a harder cup primer in the AR platform due to the free floating firing pin.

Top Bottom