What Optic Does Your Big Game Hunting Rifle Use?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What power optic do you have on your hunting rifle?

• 1-6x Range

Votes: 3 9.4%
    • 2-10x Range

Votes: 10 31.3%
    • 3-12x Range

Votes: 6 18.8%
    • 4-16x Range

Votes: 10 31.3%
    • Other

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

bgarman47

File Jockey
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 8, 2023
    Ossian
    Firstly, my apologies if this thread is posted in the wrong section, exists elsewhere, etc.

I am a recent transplant from southeast Pennsylvania, and I am noticing that I likely want more than the 1.5-6x42 scope my hunting rifle currently has mounted out here. There's much less densely wooded area, and much more field/farmland.

I plan on asking around with local farmers pre-season for permission to hunt private land so I can use my 240 WBY.

What power range is the optic sitting atop your favorite big-game hunting rifle, and why? Are there features you would place a high level of importance on for hunting here in the Hoosier state?

Thank you!

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x on my .30-06, but I bought it to go out west with, but never have. I would consider that my Big Game rifle. My .350L AR that I deer hunt with has a 3-12x on it, but for where I hunt, that is too much. I keep it on 4x typically, but I used 8x last year on the deer I got. As others above have said, a good 3-9x40 will serve you well.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I used to be a 1 rifle for every type hunt (west, east, midwest, whitetail, elk, etc). Over the years Ive kind of re thought that, and went to 1 rifle for all hunting mindset, and its worked out well.

My do all scope is the Razor LHT 3-15x50. Its got a low enough zoom I can hunt timber, and a high enough zoom I can shoot further than I'm comfortable shooting out west.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I used to be a 1 rifle for every type hunt (west, east, midwest, whitetail, elk, etc). Over the years Ive kind of re thought that, and went to 1 rifle for all hunting mindset, and its worked out well.

My do all scope is the Razor LHT 3-15x50. Its got a low enough zoom I can hunt timber, and a high enough zoom I can shoot further than I'm comfortable shooting out west.
    I have an older 3x15 Razor. Amazing glass on that scope!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I use either 2-10X or 3-9X on almost all of my rifles. I prefer the 2-10x mostly for the lower end, not the upper end. In my experience, 9x is fine out to 300 yards, beyond that it is time to employ my stalking skills instead of my shooting skills.

bgarman47

File Jockey
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 8, 2023
    Ossian
    Thanks for the responses so far guys; it's really helpful.

I guess I should have mentioned I'm in the Northeast corner of the state, and it's pretty flat out here as best as I can tell. What kind of ranges are you folks typically seeing game here?

I'm used to pines & laurels so thick a 50-100 yard shot is a long poke.

I kind of fall into the "one rifle for many situations" mindset myself. I think the 240 WBY is a very versatile cartridge that can do pretty much everything from varmints, to coyotes, to big game. I guess I am looking for an optic that is as versatile.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thanks for the responses so far guys; it's really helpful.

I guess I should have mentioned I'm in the Northeast corner of the state, and it's pretty flat out here as best as I can tell. What kind of ranges are you folks typically seeing game here?

I'm used to pines & laurels so thick a 50-100 yard shot is a long poke.

I kind of fall into the "one rifle for many situations" mindset myself. I think the 240 WBY is a very versatile cartridge that can do pretty much everything from varmints, to coyotes, to big game. I guess I am looking for an optic that is as versatile.

Here is a link to what I use. On 3x, I can do 50 yards in thick brush, with 15x I can go well beyond where I would be comfortable taking a shot.

The 240 weatherby would do anything south of Mule deer in my book.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    On another note:
    Not sure how PA landowners feel, but plenty of landowners in IN can be downright defensive of their deer hunting rights. I would start looking for permission soon, and plan on doing plenty of asking.

Any kind of pre-existing relationship can be helpful, even if it’s just attending the same church or knowing the names of some of their neighbors.

Reactions: Mij

bgarman47

File Jockey
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 8, 2023
    Ossian
    Thank again for the replies everyone.

I was able to get a really good deal on a new old stock Leica 3.5-14x42 yesterday evening, so I pulled the trigger on that. Since the majority of responses indicate a 3x low end is the right place to be, I figure it's a good fit!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Fixed 4X scope.
    That's what my dad used on his 7mm Remington Magnum we hunted in Colorado a lot when in my youth. His was a 4x Redfield widefield iirc that's what it was called.
    He still says anything over 4x is to much even for hunting out west. He bought his scope and savage 7mm back in the 70's.

Top Bottom