• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DN40SW

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2016
    Avon
    I blame the Daisy BB gun I bought from Topps Department store in Speedway when I was 10.....Been hooked ever since.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Born to it as the family hunted. It was just what we did. Sort of like asking why I eat or read books.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Being assaulted at a stop sign by five guys (no, not the hamburger people...) while a passenger in a car.

Personally, I'd have run the ****ers in front of us over, but my friend was driving. Sissy...

Ben Nelson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Corner of Walk & Dont Walk
    Crime. About a quarter mile straight out my front door, a middle-age man was working in his yard and robbed at machete point. Five houses down, my buddy had his patio door kicked in while he was home. Both incidents happened about five years ago and in close succession.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Dad introduced me to shooting. He only had a Stevens 12 gauge double barrel (I still have it), but a friend of his gave me a Mossberg 410 bolt action and I learned to hunt squirrels with that. While in Boy Scouts, I earned my Rifle & Shotgun merit badge using an old Mossberg 44. I found one for 50 bucks in the Trader paper shortly after that and bought it myself (Dad went along with me). Shortly after that, I got an Ithaca Model 37 (75 bucks if I remember correctly). Both Mossbergs and the Ithaca were stolen when my house was broken into when I was living up in Lafayette (early 80's) and I never got back into shooting until about 2010. From there I was off to the races. Got my C&R license and proceeded to fill up a bunch of gun cabinets. I'm gonna need another one soon... :):

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Grew up rural, but not in a family of gun enthusiasts. I enjoyed the outdoors and hunting, did a lot of reading, must have just come from there.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I was born to it. I was cleaning guns before I was allowed to shoot them. I still have my first BB gun, 22, .410 and handgun I ever owned.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    The best I can remember is about 1966( I was 4 years old) I got a plastic M1 Garand rifle for Christmas that took little plastic bullets. It became my favorite toy. Then about five years later my cousin let me shoot his Daisy BB gun at a metal can and I hit the can. I was hooked after that. Wish I still had that little plastic Garand. My folks do have pictures of me unwrapping it though.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Born into it. Hunted from my earliest memories with my dad and still do a little but we fish more now cause it's easier for him. Dad kept his ammo locked in a cabinet and after my brother and I shot up all we had, we decided to take the hinges off for easy access. We only took a little so he wouldn't notice but after a couple times we figured he would know anyway so it was guns blazing. We were so desperate we tried shooting clay pigeons with 00 buck. Dad tried to go squirrel hunting and there was nothing left. Instead of giving us a lashing we deserved he figured there worse things we could be doing besides shooting.He left it unlocked after we replaced it ALL with our allowance. Our first lesson in pay to play I guess. We got our first Mec 600 for Christmas that year, I still use some thirty years later.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    The Christmas Story and the Red Ryder!! Actually, I was born into a hunting family. All of the guns I have shot until the past few years have all been solely for hunting. The first gun I shot was my dad's Marlin Model 60. Shot my first squirrel with that gun. My first gun was my grandfather's single shot 16 gauge he gave me when I was 13.

Old Prof

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2015
    West Lafayette
    Shot as a kid at my grandparents, who lived on the farm my father grew up on in Western Ky. from about age 17 to 55 I didn't shoot anything (grad school in Illinois, living in NJ made that easier to do.) When I moved to Indiana me, and my boys, got involved in scouting. I shot some at summer camp and made friends with people that shoot. Break-ins in the neighborhood while people were in the house motivate buying the first gun.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Shot as a kid at my grandparents, who lived on the farm my father grew up on in Western Ky. from about age 17 to 55 I didn't shoot anything (grad school in Illinois, living in NJ made that easier to do.) When I moved to Indiana me, and my boys, got involved in scouting. I shot some at summer camp and made friends with people that shoot. Break-ins in the neighborhood while people were in the house motivate buying the first gun.

Holy crap man.
    What on God's green earth would make you shoot at your grandparents?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Firearms, shows abut firearms, shooting firearms. My dad had a M1 Carbine that he kept hidden because Mom didn't want the kids to find it (and it was hidden well). I could field strip it by the time I was 9...and they never knew. It was a decade before I saw a manual and realized I'd learned to do it properly.

Outside of that, dad took me hunting and I had a .410 bolt action. We still tell silly stories about those times. Good times...Gun times...

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I have a weird story. My dad used to work security and carried a Beretta 9mm. I asked him when he came home one day if I could see his gun or something like that, I was probably 7 at the time, he said no and that it was a toy. I became suspicious of what he said. I became curious about the ''toy'' on his hip. This incident along with watching action movies, playing video games, being around my dad's side of the family who are gun nthuiasts all lead to a hobby that I spend way too much money on.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I have a weird story. My dad used to work security and carried a Beretta 9mm. I asked him when he came home one day if I could see his gun or something like that, I was probably 7 at the time, he said no and that it was a toy. I became suspicious of what he said. I became curious about the ''toy'' on his hip. This incident along with watching action movies, playing video games, being around my dad's side of the family who are gun nthuiasts all lead to a hobby that I spend way too much money on.
    Telling a kid a gun is a toy just kind of seems like asking for tragedy. :dunno:

BeDome

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    "Born into it," seems to be the most common response.

I was sort of born into it, by the circuitous route of having fourteen uncles (including both sides of the family) and two grand fathers who all hunted. My mom hated hunting (did not find game tasty) and could not care less. My father had polio in 1926 and was paraplegic but loved to have access to the fresh game he grew up eating.

I was encouraged by my father to go hunting with my uncles and cousins from the age of six. At ten years of age, my grand father presented me with my own 22 carbine single shot and I just KNEW I could take anything with it, no matter how big and scary.

I just never stopped wanting more.

Now, I have only five old uncles left alive (one ancient Korean war Marine veteran, two Viet Nam era Army veterans and one retired law officer) and every one of their kids (my cousins, even the girls) is pretty good with a weapon and occasionally they still hunt or fish together.

Wish I lived closer.

Top Bottom