• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dgriner001

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2021
    Indiana
    I’ve heard alot of great reviews on palmetto state armory’s Psa daggers. They’re basically a cheaper Glock, but still reliable. You can get them full size or compact, and can get a basic one for 250-300 dollars. Or you can spend a little more and get one that is optic ready, and still under $400

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I’ve heard alot of great reviews on palmetto state armory’s Psa daggers. They’re basically a cheaper Glock, but still reliable. You can get them full size or compact, and can get a basic one for 250-300 dollars. Or you can spend a little more and get one that is optic ready, and still under $400
    Wait,,, What? I wasn't aware you could get cheaper than a glock.

E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    I am going to add my vote for the CZ P10C. I bought mine from a guy who had 600 plus rounds through it already at a training class. I have been shooting it now for 4 years. I have taken three handgun classes with it and shoot 1-3 matches with it every month. Conservatively it has had 2,500 rounds through it. I have yet to have a failure of any kind and have shot brass, steel and aluminum cased rounds from Blazer, Venom, Winchester, Remington, AAC & Fiocchi, probably other brands I can't remember.

Just ran a quick search and found them available brand new at three different sites under $400. PSA had a sale running a few months back for $369 with an optic cut.

My only dislike is I have cushy soft office worker hands and the stippling on mine is relatively sharp after a few magazines.

I carry mine without any hesitation.

I also have a Canik TP9 SA which I have put at least 1,000 round through without a hiccup. Wonderful trigger and has been totally reliable.

Hotcocoa

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2023
    Osceola
    I was thinking about this as not everyone has $800-2500 to put on a self-defense handgun.

This can be a good source of information for those seeking a reliable inexpensive self-defense handgun.

So what handgun do you personally have experience with that is reliable, and have had no malfunctions with at least 500rds fired including self-defense ammunition.

Post your experiences with the above criteria.

Make and model of firearm.

How many rounds of ammunition including self-defense ammunition you have fired without any malfunctions.

Ammo wise include the brand, weight of bullet, and type of bullet you used.
    Example:
    Federal 124gr FMJ
    Federal 124gr HST

Do you recommend it as an under $400 reliable self-defense handgun?
    Psa dagger with rmr cut i have a dagger slide with 7k rounds on it on a p80 frame as my edc, you can grab the holster for the dagger from psa made by trex arms

Attachments

• IMG_6313.jpg
      IMG_6313.jpg
      560.4 KB · Views: 6
    • IMG_6315.jpg
      IMG_6315.jpg
      461.8 KB · Views: 6

Franc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2021
    Fishers, IN
    If you allow for used pistols, I recommend Sig Sauer P290RS. I got mine for $395 almost new, and had put 2,215 round down range (yes, I do keep a log). There were a total of 3 failures to feed in the first 100 rounds, then no malfunction after that. This was not unusual for a new gun.

Most of the rounds shot were cheap Winchester or federal bulk pack fmj. I did shoot several boxes of IWI 125 gr JHP rounds to make sure it works, as I carry this ammo. It has sealer on the primer and should last many years.
    This gun is perfect for pocket carry with a leather sheath.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If you allow for used pistols, I recommend Sig Sauer P290RS. I got mine for $395 almost new, and had put 2,215 round down range (yes, I do keep a log). There were a total of 3 failures to feed in the first 100 rounds, then no malfunction after that. This was not unusual for a new gun.

Most of the rounds shot were cheap Winchester or federal bulk pack fmj. I did shoot several boxes of IWI 125 gr JHP rounds to make sure it works, as I carry this ammo. It has sealer on the primer and should last many years.
    This gun is perfect for pocket carry with a leather sheath.
    Criteria is under $400 new or used, and something you have personally used and have at least 500rds through it including self-defense ammunition.

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    Had a nice PD used Browning BDA 45 (aka Sig P220).
    Accurate, eat everything I put in it, easy to shoot.
    Should be able to find a nice used one for about your price.
    If you find one in 38 Super, let me know.

MH

Cpruz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2023
    NW Indiana
    I've been carrying a Springfield Hellcat for 3 years. 450 rounds later and zero problems. No jamming which can be a problem with some guns with a double stack mag. Small enough to fit in a jacket pocket. Dependable, smooth trigger pull, fits in your hand well. A pawn shop near me has 3 for sale from $300 to $450.

Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    At least 2000 rounds down range from 3 different ported PSA Daggers that I now consider completely reliable.
    For the most part New Republic ball, 115GR and all tested with 50 rounds of 124 GR HST. I have had stoppages but all attributed to mags or ammo. All of mine were purchased slide and frame separately but complete guns ship with Magpul mags. The Magpul mags don't seem completely reliable but with Glock mags mine have all run like Glocks.
    A Dagger WITH an optic cut can be had for less than 400 allowing you to have a Dagger with an optic mounted for the price of an MOS Glock, no optic.
    Just an observation but I'm always skeptical of people that say they run thousands of rounds without a malfunction. It's been my experience that malfunctions are 99% ammo, mags or operator and unavoidable. I see low powder charge and hard primers, on an irregular basis with practice ammo so malfunctions are and unfortunate reality.
    Reliability is a relative term, anything mechanical can and will eventually fail with enough use. The heart of, as well as the weak link in a semi-auto pistol IS the magazine and that's why I carry and train with a spare. YMMV

You seem to be pretty impressed/pleased with the PSA Dagger.
    I was looking at that and I had a few questions that you may be able to answer.
    I went to the range yesterday with my Bersa .380 (EDC) and a Springfield XD9. I never compared them before yesterday. I'm ready to have the XD9 as EDC. But, the lack of safety like most other guns(separate lever for safety/decocking) bothers me.
    Can you tell what the safety on the Dagger is like? What do you do regarding the use of a safety? I don't have any Glocks. I would prefer to have a round in the chamber with the safety on. But, I don't feel really comfortable doing that with the XD9 (backstrap and trigger safeties). Do you have any suggestions?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    You seem to be pretty impressed/pleased with the PSA Dagger.
    I was looking at that and I had a few questions that you may be able to answer.
    I went to the range yesterday with my Bersa .380 (EDC) and a Springfield XD9. I never compared them before yesterday. I'm ready to have the XD9 as EDC. But, the lack of safety like most other guns(separate lever for safety/decocking) bothers me.
    Can you tell what the safety on the Dagger is like? What do you do regarding the use of a safety? I don't have any Glocks. I would prefer to have a round in the chamber with the safety on. But, I don't feel really comfortable doing that with the XD9 (backstrap and trigger safeties). Do you have any suggestions?
    Get some training, and some perspective. Thousands upon thousands of people safely carry striker fired guns with no manual safety switch every single day. Safety is a mindset, not a lever.

Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Get some training, and some perspective. Thousands upon thousands of people safely carry striker fired guns with no manual safety switch every single day. Safety is a mindset, not a lever.
    Arrogance really doesn't help.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Arrogance really doesn't help.
    Not arrogance, just decades of experience in the military, law enforcement and public safety.

Maybe someone with such a fragile ego should reconsider whether they should be carrying a weapon around. People like that are usually prone to do stupid things.

I didn’t recommend anything that wouldn’t be recommended by the most seasoned armed professionals. Don’t ask for advice if you’re only looking to hear what you want to hear.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    For CC under $400 new, I'd vouch for Shield Plus. ~600 rnds of Fed/Rem/WWB/Norma 115gr ball and ~112 rnds Speer Gold Dot 115gr. Zero hiccups of any kind.

For pocket carry, LCP II/Max. Between the two, ~700 rounds various mfr ball ammo 95-100 gr, 150 rounds of Critical Defense FTX. Zero hiccups of any kind.

Cannot vouch, I don't own one, G3C for "budget" self defense and IMO, they got the size right for compact equals concealed carry.

For slightly over $400, I'd recommend the CZ P-07 (DA/SA/Decocker) which I bought specifically for AIWB carry. Currently at 500 rnds Rem/Fed/WWB and 67 rounds Speer Gold Dot 115 gr. Zero hiccups of any kind.
    Good reply and spot on. Have both myself and am happy to stand by your opinion. Mine are fine CCW and easy to clean and shoot. Have my Shield Plus on my hip as I write this. Ammo suggested at 124 gr JHP does fine. Good luck.

Top Bottom