What in the name of Yahweh is "yakking putty"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I had an older relative tell me he was working on a home project and he needed to put some "yakking putty" on it.

I think I knew what he was talking about...like "rope putty" but I didn't want to seem like a green horn by asking, "WTF is 'yakking putty'?" so I just shut up.

Now he is gone and I can't ask him to clarify, so which one of you guys can help me out? :D

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Oh wow, it's been 50 years since I heard that term. A crew who built AO Smith Harveststores (blue silos) back in the early 70s called the sealant they put between the panels Yacking Putty. It came in rolls, had a paper backing and was maybe 2 inches wide. Looked like a tar-like substance, more of a gel.

When they got the job done, they closed the hatches and pumped up the air pressure inside. Then a guy on a swing would spray the seams with soapy water to check for air leaks. The guy who did that, yeah he was nuts.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Oh wow, it's been 50 years since I heard that term. A crew who built AO Smith Harveststores (blue silos) back in the early 70s called the sealant they put between the panels Yacking Putty. It came in rolls, had a paper backing and was maybe 2 inches wide. Looked like a tar-like substance, more of a gel.

When they got the job done, they closed the hatches and pumped up the air pressure inside. Then a guy on a swing would spray the seams with soapy water to check for air leaks. The guy who did that, yeah he was nuts.
    Pressure test with air is no joke. See any air compressor tank failure photos. Second best is to be in the same garage when it lets loose.

pilgrim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Columbus
    I had an older relative tell me he was working on a home project and he needed to put some "yakking putty" on it.

I think I knew what he was talking about...like "rope putty" but I didn't want to seem like a green horn by asking, "WTF is 'yakking putty'?" so I just shut up.

Now he is gone and I can't ask him to clarify, so which one of you guys can help me out? :D
    I always called it Akinputty, rope putty.

Top Bottom