What Have you done to Prepare This Week?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    We are making bread for the next few weeks and canning last of this yrs crops and purchased bulk items. If you read my wife's blog it has weekly updates on our journey. Icluding reduction of electrical usage.

As it gets colder using other sources of heat in our house to provide warmth for human comfort. Today was the dryer running and the oven on, cooking bread. A fan on low helps keep the heat moving into the other rooms instead of hanging in the laundry room or the kitchen.
    We are also stocking up on leaves and brush to feed our animals, reducing the amount of feed we will need to purchase for the winter. We also have the animals as a source for eggs, milk, and meat (chicken, turkey and goat).

Hoppes Homestead

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    Buying a couple of extra cans or Compleats when I remember. Food is the absolutely the #1 priority now, and should be for everyone. Very few of us don't have "enough" other gear (including guns and ammo). Very few of us (including me) have enough food.

I think alot of people take for grantedjust how fragile our food system is in this country. Everyone freaks out when there is a recall, but it slips away quickly. One reason we have animals of our own. We turned grass areas into areas that produce food for us. Obviously we don't live in an urban area.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Ordered 1400rds of 7.62x39 and 12 extra mags, bought a red dot and a folding grip for my VZ-58. And will be cleaning my 5 gal water jugs today to refill this week. And stuff from sams club! if SHTF I got plenty of toilet paper!

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Gander mountain got in some mountain house #10 cans! They said the put them out yesterday and sold a few...after i left they had eggs left(4 cans I think).That was about an hour ago.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Received 10k of primers via Fedex.
    Ordered 4 steel lips 25 rnd mags for the 10/22
    Canned a case of venison.
    Picked up 10lbs of pancake mix to add to the stores.

Trained for 2.5 hours on ccw drills, shooting from a vehicle.
    crawling to your gun while getting pummeled and then shooting,
    low light ccw etc.

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    Picked up 10lbs of pancake mix to add to the stores.

Watch that the pancake mix stays within date/rotate your stock. old Pancake mix may and possibly will grow more than one type of mold that will cause a bab day or fatal reaction for people allergic, even slightly, to molds. Trust me: been there, done that, have the snopes page to proove it... Oh and the pancakes taste horrible after they get like that.

It should be ok untill opened if sealed in plastic or if you know for sure if you or a loved one isn't allergic to molds, but be aware of the date. Taking a box of benadryll and waiting out an allergic reaction wouldn't be the best thing to do when S*** is already Hittin' The Fan...

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    I purchesed a PSL (Romanian Draganov) from SOG and 4 -Mags and a Pouch From Cole's Dist.
    24 - USGI 1911 Mags

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Watch that the pancake mix stays within date/rotate your stock. old Pancake mix may and possibly will grow more than one type of mold that will cause a bab day or fatal reaction for people allergic, even slightly, to molds. Trust me: been there, done that, have the snopes page to proove it... Oh and the pancakes taste horrible after they get like that.

It should be ok untill opened if sealed in plastic or if you know for sure if you or a loved one isn't allergic to molds, but be aware of the date. Taking a box of benadryll and waiting out an allergic reaction wouldn't be the best thing to do when S*** is already Hittin' The Fan...

Thanks for the tip. It is in our rotated food, not my long term stores. I would guess that the 10lb bag will last our family about 3-4 months.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    What "SHTF" scenario's are you preparing for at this point? Just curious...

There are just so many choices.

- Fuel crisis, causing trucks to stop rolling for more than 3 days. There's generally only about 3 days food supply in the stores and warehouses in most cities.

- Certain elements start realizing that Obama is not going to keep some of the real or perceived promises made during the campaign (a safe bet since too many of the things his supporters are expecting are completely out of his control). Expect large scale riots in that case.

- Our precipitous withdrawal from Iraq leads certain extremist elements to conclude that the US is "weak" and can easily be intimidated. The result is another large terrorist attack on the US to force still more concessions.

- Bird Flu mutates to human-to-human contagious. Lots of deaths there and (for those who survive) again the stores are empty because of the disruption.

- Solar Cycle 24 is off to an awfully weak start. "Global Warming" could turn to "global cooling" remarkably quickly, leading to quite a bit of crop loss to unexpected weather. See "stores are empty."

- New Madrid finally decides to let go again in a serious way. Look at other major natural disasters for what to expect there presuming you weather the quake and aftershocks themselves.

And on and on.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    What "SHTF" scenario's are you preparing for at this point? Just curious...

Start with an image similar to the floods that have hit Indiana throughout our history...toss in a few tornadoes...mix in a rolling nation wide black out...add a teaspoon of human nature(riots and such...as there is no tv for the sheeple)...add a touch of gas shortages(or cant be pumped without power)...and lets just put a dash of food shortage in there(say it either has no fuel to get to the store or the supply is short.Just imagine everything you take for granted every day is gone. That is what myself and most are prepared/preparing for. Will it ever happen? All of these things at once,probably not. But being prepared and being able to take care of my family is for me a matter of pride. What can I say...i was a boyscout.
    Think of it as insurance,an investment in your well being and well being of the ones you love.
    You buy insurance for a home in case it burns to the ground(because you put 50 strings of light on one plug). Imagine calling them to buy insurance after the firedepartment puts it out.They wont give it to you lol. Same thing for being prepared. If you need it and dont have it your not going to get it. And I for one am never going to rely on someone else(or the goverment)to meet my needs.
    Think that explains why for me any how.
    ps. I started a social group for central indiana. With the hope of starting a mutual support group. The first meeting will hopefully be in january(after the holidays).Those interested please join the social group or pm me.

or you can just :koolaid: and hope someone else will take care of you :twocents:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Keep in mind that if things do start to happen the first thing that will usually go wrong is communication. Have a plan to communicate with those you need to and have back ups.

Just my opinion

Top Bottom