What Have you done to Prepare This Week?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Where do you get canned powdered milk?

I've seen it available from canned freeze dried food suppliers. Essential Resources is coming to mind, but I don't know if that is it. You can also get canned butter. Another option is also super pasteurized milk. This is safe non-refrigerated for quite a few months, possibly nearly a year. I saw some at the Meijer on the southside, but people don't know what it is, so it was near the expiration date already.

VanillaThunder

Shooter
    Rating - 94.5%
    52   3   0
    Aug 13, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    -added a few boxes of WWB to the ammo storage cans i got at the gun show.

-stored the following in airtight containers:

rice
    beans
    flour

-ordered 2 extra mags from slow1911s
    -added lamp oil and lamps, matches, and peanut butter to my SHTF rack

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South

Just an FYI. Flour does not store for a very long time. In an airtight container, it is good for about a year. Whole wheat is less, because if the germ being included (although better for you).

For long term storage of flour for survival, you want to store hard winter wheat and use a grinder to make flour in small quantities. It is the most healthy whole wheat flour you can have, and wheat stores in air tight containers for 20 years without degrading.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Where I will go and who I will take with me. Natually my family will be at the top of my list of people. Then comes my friends and their family. As for as the rest? I Pray that the Lord will bring us together.

My family farm is far from big cities, but I have to get there first. Transportation is my first concern. Food, water and shelter is at the farm.

"ThatGuy"

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I went out earlier today and started mapping out some way points. My buddies dad is an ex-marine and has 27 wooded acres with a 2 bedroom modular guest house on it. he said that if anything was to happen that me and my gf could stay there. I plotted some points for if SHTF and we needed to bug out. I also plotted some points where we've always hunted the deer in the past with good results. I put 3 cases of mre's in the guest house basement along with 5 cases of water.

DodgebyDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    AHAHAAHAHAAHAHA

damn you all and this thread, as I am going back to square one now.

I thought when I started reading here yesterday I would get ideas, go through some of my stuff, replace batteries...................

I'VE BEEN ATTACKED BY MICE!!!!!

They got in the backpack, the dufflebag, the riflebag. Chewed the friggen label off the breakfree bottle. I have not a rifle cleaning patch to my name now (there were about 10k in that bag that became a mouse nest that is now in the trash). The day AFTER Indy 1500.

Now I'm really mad. Mostly because I grew up on a farm and am fully aware of the damage mice can do. However, better to know now than find out on the way out the door (oh by the way honey, we have no extra toilet paper because the mice ate it)(god you should have seen that closet)

I did get it cleaned up before LDG got home.

Lesson learned :n00b:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    AHAHAAHAHAAHAHA

I thought when I started reading here yesterday I would get ideas, go through some of my stuff, replace batteries...................

They got in the backpack, the dufflebag, the riflebag. Chewed the friggen label off the breakfree bottle. I have not a rifle cleaning patch to my name now (there were about 10k in that bag that became a mouse nest that is now in the trash). The day AFTER Indy 1500.

Now I'm really mad. Mostly because I grew up on a farm and am fully aware of the damage mice can do. However, better to know now than find out on the way out the door (oh by the way honey, we have no extra toilet paper because the mice ate it)(god you should have seen that closet)

Cats (sorry for your loss)

house_mouse-781037.jpg

22510_Cat-Caught-a-Mouse_620.jpg

Last edited:

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Convinced my daughter to drop her "boyfriend" He was not what she thought he was. Many future SHTF issues prevented with that wonderful man being out of our life!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Convinced my daughter to drop her "boyfriend" He was not what she thought he was. Many future SHTF issues prevented with that wonderful man being out of our life!

+1

And no shovel required...

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    AHAHAAHAHAAHAHA

I have a Beautiful White w/Black spots Tailess Femail cat you can have.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Pretty much every week, I get a couple pounds of beans, rice, cornmeal, or other bulk stables. Tossed in the freezer to kill any bugs or eggs, then tossed into airtight containers for longer term storage.

Recently started stocking up on firewood (we have a functioning fireplace) for emergency heat.

Got my EBR built and am now accumulating ammo.

Next on the list is a reloading set.

Biggest thing, however, if accumulating knowledge: everything from how to build a spark-gap transmitter (and a coherer for a receiver) to emergency medicine to how to make a ghillie suit.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    +1

And no shovel required...

+2

My Daughter showed me his last email to her after she broke it off. He is a classic idiot. He said he was so upset ......... didn't see it coming and its all because her dad didn't like him.:):

I justed pointed out a whole lot of things to open her eyes, and she made the right call.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Buying a couple of extra cans or Compleats when I remember. Food is the absolutely the #1 priority now, and should be for everyone. Very few of us don't have "enough" other gear (including guns and ammo). Very few of us (including me) have enough food.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    Just an FYI. Flour does not store for a very long time. In an airtight container, it is good for about a year. Whole wheat is less, because if the germ being included (although better for you).

For long term storage of flour for survival, you want to store hard winter wheat and use a grinder to make flour in small quantities. It is the most healthy whole wheat flour you can have, and wheat stores in air tight containers for 20 years without degrading.

We have whole wheat that is over a year old that we are currently using on a ratational basis so older is used first and newer is put to the back. Ours is stored in the %0 # bags ina large freezer kept on minimal setting. That freezer is just for the wheat and is only opened approx, once every two months, when we need another 50 #s. In the kitchen the wheat is stored in 5 gallon buckets and we've never had a problem.

The long term plan includes growing and using our own. making space and re arranging our gardens to include such things right now.

Top Bottom