• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Guardian65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2018
    Kokomo
    Review of get home bag; next week will start checking preps in storage; purchased 100 rounds 9 mm ammo; planning to start some physical training to get in better shape.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Picked up some books to share with the family so they can understand what the world looks like when it has descended into barbarism and savagery. Even Teddy's good series "The Winning of the West" only alludes to the true horrors that people will inflict on each other given the desire and power to do so. He did reference these books though: "The Hunting Grounds of the Great West" and "Thirty Years Among Our Wild Indians" both by Col Richard I. Dodge and "Massacres of the Mountains" A History of the Indian Wars of the Far West, by J. P. Dunn Jr.

I would argue that these things still live in many corners of the world, some of which I have seen, but there are others who would bring it here...like MS13 for instance.

It's a mental prep.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Picked up some books to share with the family so they can understand what the world looks like when it has descended into barbarism and savagery. Even Teddy's good series "The Winning of the West" only alludes to the true horrors that people will inflict on each other given the desire and power to do so. He did reference these books though: "The Hunting Grounds of the Great West" and "Thirty Years Among Our Wild Indians" both by Col Richard I. Dodge and "Massacres of the Mountains" A History of the Indian Wars of the Far West, by J. P. Dunn Jr.

I would argue that these things still live in many corners of the world, some of which I have seen, but there are others who would bring it here...like MS13 for instance.

It's a mental prep.

I take my 11 year old G-Daughter to a private art class every Thursday night. She has serious talent and I am one to nurture what gifts we are given. It is a half hour roll out so we have some time. This is our special time and the conversations have been very enlightening. Last nights topic was how would I handle "Purge Night". Apparently she saw the movie at a friends house and has spent some curious time on line about the topic. That was an interesting conversation.

Her eyes were opened to the idiocy's of people. In a gentle way of course...:):

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I take my 11 year old G-Daughter to a private art class every Thursday night. She has serious talent and I am one to nurture what gifts we are given. It is a half hour roll out so we have some time. This is our special time and the conversations have been very enlightening. Last nights topic was how would I handle "Purge Night". Apparently she saw the movie at a friends house and has spent some curious time on line about the topic. That was an interesting conversation.

I'm almost afraid to look that up...surprise topics brought up at a friends house are something to be wary of.

There are so many questions we need to ask that we shouldn't have to, if people would only behave. "Can X stay over at my house?" "Maybe, what are you going to watch, who else will be there, who will be the adult in charge." And you might need to add in questions about criminal history and drug use. I would say it seems like a sad time to be a kid but my kids seem to shrug it off...because they're kids I guess.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Another thing ... taking classes again, hoping to eventually improve my employment prospects, which will in turn improve my financial situation and long term finances, which is prepping!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Another thing ... taking classes again, hoping to eventually improve my employment prospects, which will in turn improve my financial situation and long term finances, which is prepping!

Absolutely. And you already know that the guy with the most bullets owns the gold when the world melt down. I wish you luck on your journey.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm almost afraid to look that up...surprise topics brought up at a friends house are something to be wary of.

There are so many questions we need to ask that we shouldn't have to, if people would only behave. "Can X stay over at my house?" "Maybe, what are you going to watch, who else will be there, who will be the adult in charge." And you might need to add in questions about criminal history and drug use. I would say it seems like a sad time to be a kid but my kids seem to shrug it off...because they're kids I guess.

Kids these days do come up with some crazy stuff. The 11 year old is sharp. She is curious. She knows we are prepared. She also knows that to share of our being ready is verboten in the politically correct and racially charged society. She is mixed. It is obvious to her the differences in people and how they see the world. In our conversations she often asks about scenarios that involve crisis at some level. It is really something that she is this aware.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy

Glad you talk with her. I too, have these conversations with my daughter. They are enlightening about how she really knows more than most about what is happening in the world.

wsleigh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2018
    Greensburg
    So.... Just started putting together a BOB/SHTF pack. I was cleaning up my storage unit and ran accross my old scouting/camping stuff. Was actually suprised how much of it was still in usable condition as well as how much of it fit into the "bug-out" mindset. Maybe my old scoutmaster actually did know what he was talking about. Need to update a few things, and try to find replacement for other broken things. And from what I've learned from this thread, I think I'll be able to finish setting it up fairly well. It's based of off my old Coleman Peak1 backpack, so it will be a little on the big side.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Been a while since an update, but here goes. We took the kids to California and stayed in San Francisco, visited a couple state & federal parks, and ended up in lake Tahoe with the rest of the family herd on our every other year mass migration. The kids got some experience on what to put in their backpacks, and what not to. Mostly they carried their own water, a bandana, a head lamp, and whatever other snacks they wanted. I carried a pack for any jackets, additional water, a filter, etc. We didn't carry or use much gear and stayed light. Kids put some good hiking miles in. Wife and I had a lot of conservations with the kids asking about homeless people, "different" people walking around town, and we genuinely had some great family time.

While with the whole herd, my cousin who's an avid democrat was asking me about prepping. He'd been watching movies like the purge and reading disaster books. I recommended One Second After to him to read and think about. It's in his que now. He was talking about his concerns about trying to get out of the city, his concerns about having clean water on hand or filtering. Of course he threw in the old "I'm coming to your house" line, and I assured him, I/we may or may not be there. It was a good talk with a guys who's eyes are just starting to open to the exposures we have as a nation/society.

Got home, and had a couple zeroing projects to do. Adjusted sights on M1A scout, set a 50 yd zero on some back up iron sights on an AR that was long overdue. Started drawing and firing a S&W 69 44mag that may or may not be going with me to Alaska in just over a month. Even using huge targets the 44mag is a lot of gun to pull out and fire quickly with any accuracy. I'm going to practice the heck out of it, but first indicators tell me that may not be the best fit for me. I really don't enjoy shooting a 44mag or bigger anymore, and I certainly don't want to pack the weight if I don't really need to.

Physically, getting prepared for a trip to Alaska. Backpacking gear is all 99% decided except for the clothes. I will wait till I'm a couple days out from the trip to finalize that based on the most current weather forecasts. Otherwise, I have everything all laid out and will start hitting the road at night after the kids go to bed for some much needed backpacking exercise. I don't consider any of this a bug out or go bag kind of exercise. It's just me getting more in tune with nature and what I need to get along outdoors for a week with everything I'm willing to carry. With that trip coming up in mind, I have been overthinking my gear and meticulously making small pointless revisions. At this point I'm splitting hairs on decisions and only waiting till the flight touches down in Anchorage.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Of course he threw in the old "I'm coming to your house" line, and I assured him, I/we may or may not be there.

It amazes me how many people actually say that... and believe that they will be welcomed with open arms when they did nothing to prepare besides head your direction.

I just tell them that they need to bring all their preps and we will see if there is room for them. No preps means no entry. One neighbor that I used to talk to decided that he had plenty of guns and ammo so that would buy him a spot. Well we have plenty of that as well... and none of it eats my food. Besides, bringing 30 guns that you don't really know how to use doesn't help as much as you might think.

Only two people are welcome here without preps... mother in law and my father. She has plenty of food stuff, but because she is a hoarder like that, and he has plenty of firearms which are mostly mine.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Spent a day with friends on their farm, it was a BBQ and bullets day. We ate pulled pork and ham and bean soup and shot a raft of weaponry. We toured the back 40 get away cabin on a river and talked about group bug out options if it ever comes to that; who to invite and what to bring...and how to bring it if the technology fails us.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    It amazes me how many people actually say that... and believe that they will be welcomed with open arms when they did nothing to prepare besides head your direction.

I just tell them that they need to bring all their preps and we will see if there is room for them. No preps means no entry. One neighbor that I used to talk to decided that he had plenty of guns and ammo so that would buy him a spot. Well we have plenty of that as well... and none of it eats my food. Besides, bringing 30 guns that you don't really know how to use doesn't help as much as you might think.

Only two people are welcome here without preps... mother in law and my father. She has plenty of food stuff, but because she is a hoarder like that, and he has plenty of firearms which are mostly mine.

I know I'd have family show up at my house. Some family members will be more welcome than others based on their attitudes, experience and skills. Years ago I wrote down a set "rules for refugees" that is printed out and would be handed to anyone thinking they are getting resources put aside for my kids just because they showed up with a smile. The first line in my rules is the following: "You are free. My family and I are free. You are not a slave or an indentured servant here. You are free to leave at any time with what you brought with you, but so long as you are seeking refuge in my home using the provisions that my family has sacrificed to accumulate then you will follow these rules or be asked/told to leave."

So many fools out there, including many on this very forum think owning all kinds of guns will save them just from the sake of owning them. I really don't care about the gun collections if a guy can't do a single pull up or make a cold bore 200 yard shot with irons to bring down a deer. Now if the guy has a set of guns that look well worn and used then I'm all for it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So many fools out there, including many on this very forum think owning all kinds of guns will save them just from the sake of owning them. I really don't care about the gun collections if a guy can't do a single pull up or make a cold bore 200 yard shot with irons to bring down a deer. Now if the guy has a set of guns that look well worn and used then I'm all for it.

When all hell breaks loose, you could put a chin-up bar attached to a lock on your front door. If you can't do one pull up, you can't come inside!

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I know I'd have family show up at my house. Some family members will be more welcome than others based on their attitudes, experience and skills. Years ago I wrote down a set "rules for refugees" that is printed out and would be handed to anyone thinking they are getting resources put aside for my kids just because they showed up with a smile. The first line in my rules is the following: "You are free. My family and I are free. You are not a slave or an indentured servant here. You are free to leave at any time with what you brought with you, but so long as you are seeking refuge in my home using the provisions that my family has sacrificed to accumulate then you will follow these rules or be asked/told to leave."

I'd like a copy if you still have it.:yesway:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

I don't have a formal set of rules, although it's a good idea to think about what they might be. I've always thought that my rules would include a little daily pledge for any extended family members who we might take in to recite each morning. The pledge would be their acknowledgement of appreciation for the shelter and food they receive, and their recognition that they know who makes the rules in our place.

We're expecting our first grandchild in September. I've seen Churchmouse talk about it, and he's absolutely right, that little boy isn't even born yet, and we have a renewed sense of purpose in our prepping. A new reason and a new urgency.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Friday/Saturday was a good test for the Genset.
    Awhile back I bought a Champion 2000W inverter generator, but I had yet to really run it hard.
    We were without power for approx 24 hours, ran the genny for 12 of those.

It ran the indoor fridge,1/2 size beer fridge, full size deep freeze, two window fans, and a charging station for phones and the laptop.
    All on less than a gallon of gas.....

I never felt the need to break out the big, open frame, gas hog of a generator that I also have.

I did decide to order a hour meter for it, to keep better track of run times.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom