WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Lets see, last week:

I made myself harder to kill.

Worked out/ran/rucked etc 6 days in a week.

Dryfired once G19, shotgun

Hit the range with my stepson and helped him hone his skills. I ran my own drills with G19, J frame and .22 rifle (practiced snap shooting on small targets to replicate game getting)

Cut and stacked some firewood. Better now than winter.

Laid in 200 rds of JHP .32 auto. About 4 years worth! LOL.

BOWTIE72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2018
    Laporte
    Started working out/healthy diet, range time, going through and organizing inventory, meeting with like minded friends to share knowledge

BOWTIE72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2018
    Laporte
    Nothing for 5 months until today.

Why is it always the rich prep'r that gets killed in survival books?

Funny you should mention that, relating to real world all of the rich preppers I know of just buy buy buy with no practice, no exercise, etc. Literally lazy, boastful individuals who will be the perfect target for the unprepared...

BOWTIE72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2018
    Laporte
    It amazes me how many people actually say that... and believe that they will be welcomed with open arms when they did nothing to prepare besides head your direction.

I just tell them that they need to bring all their preps and we will see if there is room for them. No preps means no entry. One neighbor that I used to talk to decided that he had plenty of guns and ammo so that would buy him a spot. Well we have plenty of that as well... and none of it eats my food. Besides, bringing 30 guns that you don't really know how to use doesn't help as much as you might think.

Only two people are welcome here without preps... mother in law and my father. She has plenty of food stuff, but because she is a hoarder like that, and he has plenty of firearms which are mostly mine.

I have the same situation with my family/friends. Nobody wants to prepare, just "come to my house" when shtf. I've decided to stop asking/telling people about prepping unless I know they are serious. It is a hard decision to turn away family and friends who are unprepared but nobody will reap the benefits of hard work, serious cash, and discipline it has taken me to prepare but my wife and 3 kids. All those who said I was crazy, stupid, foolish etc. For prepping will find a closed door policy with me.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Went through some boxes of gear (posted a few things in the classifieds, btw :)).

Made a bow/drill set and practiced a making a few fires by friction.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Went through some boxes of gear (posted a few things in the classifieds, btw :)).

Made a bow/drill set and practiced a making a few fires by friction.

We re-arranged some space. Moved the get out of dodge totes to a better area. put another tote in the rotation that made it possible to add some gear and supply's to the existing.
    Also went through the clothing to check for fit and need. Made a short list of changes for the fall. The terrorists are growing. The cloths we had in play are to small now.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Got a canned security system at the new place. Have the plans for outside lighting and going to run cat5 cable to all the places I plan to put cameras up in.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Got my bike back in 1985 before there was much of that. I read a lot and used then-standard strategies dealing with seat tube and forearm-saddle-stem measurements. Customization was mostly through components. Got the frame off the rack, so no real custom work was available or I might have tried a longer top tube. I've ridden it over 20K miles without issues.

If you bike purchase includes a professional fitting, might as well use it. Otherwise it depends on how much the fitting and the bike are.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Currently we have a red oak that is producing massive amounts this year. Last time it happened I collected a lot, but it took so much to get the tannin out. What is the secret? There is a lot of meat in each nut, I hated to let it go to waste.
    Reds are tougher to process than whites, but more forgiving of collection timing. Whites you gotta get right after they fall or they will get eaten by animals or sprout. Reds can sit for a while, and have fewer weevil worms.

Reds have to have the tannin removed, either by cold or hot soaking. Hot is quicker but changes the end product in some undesirable ways. Cold takes longer - maybe a week or more, unless you have a stream nearby. Dry whole acorns first, feed any emerging weevil grubs to the chickens (they love them), crack them to get the meat out. The testa (papery brown rhind) stick to the nut in reds, and must be removed eventually. Crack the meats and soak, changing the water daily until it is not bitter anymore. This will often loosen the testa also. You can save the tannin water as a skin astringent. Dry the meats again (in a dehydrator, on a wood stove or in a low oven) and grind in a meat grinder. Run through a wheat grinder for finer flour of desired. Store in freezer or dry COMPLETELY (it will mold of stored damp.)

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Meijer is having their 10 for $10 sale again. I stocked up on some food items like rice dishes, pasta, soups, and smoked sausage. The freezer is pretty full right now. Pantry is busting at the seams.

Pork loin is $1.15 per lb. There was also a "buy one get one" deal on toilet paper. I came home with 60 rolls. Buying so much spit out a manufacturer's coupon for $5 off my next trip.

With Meijer mperks I spent $115 today but saved $60. This is without any coupons.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom