• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I keep 25 lbs bags of flour and the instant pancake mix.

I know that when you add homemade granola to the pancake mix and serve pancakes and coffee to dudes who slept on the ground in single digits they will think its the best food they have ever had.

11-B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    I know a lot of guys buy flour & yeast etc with this grand idea that they're going to be making delicious bread post SHTF. I buy the big bags of Krusteze pancake mix so all I have to do is add water to one other ingredient and heat over a fire. It's not quite homemade bread, but it simplifies things and will get you by pretty easily.

WOW :n00b: I didnt think about that I will be switching gears on that thank you for the info

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    10 lb bags at Sams club. It has oil in the mix already so it is perishable so this is more of an eat what you store, store what you eat item.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Got a new to me Glock 22.

But more importantly the wife and I got ourselves on a plan to pay off all debt except my student loans by this time next year.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish once all debt is removed. "The ABC's of Financial Freedom" is a great book to learn how. It's a faith based outlook.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Be thankful if the twins don't need the fancy (anti colic) formula. That stuff is about $30 per can that's not much bigger than a coffee mug and it only lasts about 4 or 5 days.

They are on a mix of natural (Mom) and formula and so far the regular stuff is working. They have put a whole new twist on the preps.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know a lot of guys buy flour & yeast etc with this grand idea that they're going to be making delicious bread post SHTF. I buy the big bags of Krusteze pancake mix so all I have to do is add water to one other ingredient and heat over a fire. It's not quite homemade bread, but it simplifies things and will get you by pretty easily.

Great tip. Thanks you sir. Never stop learning and adjusting.

Curls & Swirls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgan County
    Tomorrow I am going to the store and picking up about 150 bucks of dry foods for long term storage....Beans, Rice, Flour, Yeast, coffee. Any other ideas......???

Don't forget the spices to make it all taste better!!! Salt, Sugar, etc.
    If you have a SAMS Card (or have a friend) they have Large Containers of spices, 4 lb boxes of salt .98. Lots of things from Sams I keep in my rotation, but don't just assume that because it is in bulk it is a better deal there, because some things are NOT.

This week I did a little price comparison shopping up at Indy. I went to SAMS, GFS, ALDI (going next week), Wal-mart, Kroger to compare prices. I am going to make a list and chart so I know what a good price is on everything I buy. I like to buy everything I can at Kroger when it goes on sale (there regular prices are crazy) because then I get extra fuel rewards (I earn $3.50 off every time I spent $100 because my burb will hold all 35 gallons offered, but usually I have spent more like $300 or $400 so my I get $10.50 or $14 off and around here our Turkey Hill usually has the cheapest diesel around) , can use coupons (they double everything .50 or under) and earn extra boxtops for my homeschool group (this helps pay for all those fieldtrips for our unsocialized children).

11-B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Don't forget the spices to make it all taste better!!! Salt, Sugar, etc.
    If you have a SAMS Card (or have a friend) they have Large Containers of spices, 4 lb boxes of salt .98. Lots of things from Sams I keep in my rotation, but don't just assume that because it is in bulk it is a better deal there, because some things are NOT.

This week I did a little price comparison shopping up at Indy. I went to SAMS, GFS, ALDI (going next week), Wal-mart, Kroger to compare prices. I am going to make a list and chart so I know what a good price is on everything I buy. I like to buy everything I can at Kroger when it goes on sale (there regular prices are crazy) because then I get extra fuel rewards (I earn $3.50 off every time I spent $100 because my burb will hold all 35 gallons offered, but usually I have spent more like $300 or $400 so my I get $10.50 or $14 off and around here our Turkey Hill usually has the cheapest diesel around) , can use coupons (they double everything .50 or under) and earn extra boxtops for my homeschool group (this helps pay for all those fieldtrips for our unsocialized children).

I shop at Krogers because at the end of the month i have spent 500 bucks and get .50 cents off per gallon

and I have lots of salt and pepper to include other spices

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    My wife and I pull up two both sides of a Kroger pump to use the fuel rewards. Between the truck and van, we can use the full 35 gallons. We have to coordinate this really well, because we are in the habit of staying at least half full on the gas tanks.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Full day on the presses, 2k 9mm and 3k 223. Started on 9 right after coming home from church and just stopped. I was out of blasting 9 so I really needed to get it done.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Bagged up another 50 pounds of rice and 30 pounds of beans. I also found that my Walmart is selling Mountain House again and happened to have some on clearance, so I picked up some while there.

I need to get by the LDS store and get some other food items to add to my stores.

11-B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Today I just picked up:

10 lbs. of Red Kidney Beans
    12 lbs. of Lentils
    6 lbs. of Garbanzo Beans
    30 lbs. of Rice
    6 lbs. of Coffee
    10 lbs. of Pancake Mix
    3 gal. of Water

About 2 Weeks ago I picked up:

30 lbs. of Rice
    10 lbs. of Black Beans
    30 lbs. of Pinto Beans
    20 lbs. of Flour
    20 lbs. of 16 Bean Soup
    1 lbs. of Coffee
    8 1/2 gal. of water

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Picked up several pack of white wash clothes...18 for 4 bucks at Walmart...I plan on getting 15-20 packs of these of theses...it is what we will use should ****F and we run out of TP.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Picked up several pack of white wash clothes...18 for 4 bucks at Walmart...I plan on getting 15-20 packs of these of theses...it is what we will use should ****F and we run out of TP.

My wife saw these at our local Wally and passed on them. We discussed the need and i hope there is still some there tomorrow.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom