• Status
    Not open for further replies.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    From Teddyb: "Had a wake up call about some of the guys I thought were on board. Trying to take a completely different look at the guys I've been thinking that I'd be able to count on if things got bad. I need to start focusing on finding prepper friends."

Keep on it man. There are a lot of men who fancy themselves "prepared" and squared away because they have a gun, some ammo and a Bear Grylls knife.

But they will not spend a dime or time on actually getting to the field and training hard for the fight that is to come.

I don't get people who prep, for bad things, and then stop short of training hard. Its like being kinda pregnant.

You will find the right crew. It takes time.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You might have better long term success by motivating friends you already know that you can trust to become preppers.

Each of the guys I'm referencing read "One Second After" years ago based on my recommendations and got into the gear portion of prepping to some extent. The problem is that they don't realize they are unskilled sheep walking in the valley of wolves holding very nice things that wolves would like to take away and have for themselves. I won't give up on them, but they can't be the force of my efforts anymore. Can't keep buying shares of stock while the values keep diving and thinking it's a good investment. Time to broaden my search, and honestly I'm looking forward to it because it's going to lead towards empty brass, worn gear, and mud.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Each of the guys I'm referencing read "One Second After" years ago based on my recommendations and got into the gear portion of prepping to some extent. The problem is that they don't realize they are unskilled sheep walking in the valley of wolves holding very nice things that wolves would like to take away and have for themselves. I won't give up on them, but they can't be the force of my efforts anymore. Can't keep buying shares of stock while the values keep diving and thinking it's a good investment. Time to broaden my search, and honestly I'm looking forward to it because it's going to lead towards empty brass, worn gear, and mud.
    Where are you out of?

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    The two areas I'm lacking are comms and physical training. Gotta get with it. The ammo scare of late has led me to sell off old ammo and wait for new stuff to become available. Still have plenty but decided my "Barter" stash could be better used for selling off and widening my food stores. I can make as much as I need now that I've prepped more components than live rounds.

I've gotta get back into shape. After a round at climb time I was really sore and lethargic the next day. I plan to take the boy scouts I lead backpacking this year so it's a great time to start.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Went through clearance stuff at Meijer, found PowerBar's for $.60, Charmin baby wipes, dental floss, stainless steel water bottles, hand sanitizer, and some small rolls of gauze all for less than $.75 each, except the $5 water bottles.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Went through clearance stuff at Meijer, found PowerBar's for $.60, Charmin baby wipes, dental floss, stainless steel water bottles, hand sanitizer, and some small rolls of gauze all for less than $.75 each, except the $5 water bottles.
    Any time I go to Meijer, I always check out the clearance shelves.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I bought several 4'x8' osb sheets from an acquaintance pretty cheap.

I marked them all this morning with color coded Sharpie cut lines measured for most windows of my house.

If ever windows break: I'll be able to cut along the lines and know which hole to fill in quick fashion (provided I wont need them for something else in the meantime).

Tbald14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Got a New 870 and 300 rounds of varies loads. While i was getting that they were bringing out there remaining stock of 9mm and i was able to fight my way there the crowd to get 500 more rounds. I wouldn't normally do that but it was at a reasonable price for the times.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Got ten more five gallon jugs for storage. Checked with manufacturer and feel confident that they are food safe. New as well, so that helps. Loading part of them with water. Going to use one as a test for dry goods.They have seals in the lids. Maybe load one with rice, drop in an O2 pack and see how it works.

Either way moving four of the jugs with water to an off site location.

Bought more food to rotate through the stores at home. Also got more boo-boo supplies.

Started situating some armor that I have collected. Put a IIIa vest in the truck. Will fit under a light jacket or shirt to allow me to remain gray. Got new III coated steel plates and put them in an outer vest so I can practice safer than with my IV ceramic plates. Moved those plates to another outer vest and added a blow out kit of sorts to it. It will be stored in the tornado shelter.Also collected a Level II and IIIa set of vests for storage along with a couple soft plates to think about integrating into a vehicle.

My main concern is with a natural disaster, but I am preparing for human error in judgment as well.

Continuing the slow process of exercising and such. Problem is I love the hops and hate the treadmill.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Still building up the water reserves. Now, with the new twins my daughter has blessed us with our preps have taken a turn.
    Formula/diapers/baby wipes/oils/potions/cuddly things and so on.
    We are going to have to expand the space again.

We had our 3rd power outage so far this winter. The infrastructure is old and creaky. It was only a few hrs. but temps were low and the twins require warmth. Ran the genny's on both houses. I need 1 more Genny.

Cable

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    Stocked up on camping equipment from a local Gander mountain that is planning on going thru a remodel. They have a lot of gear up to 50% off.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    bought a pair of 4 buckle overboots...the kind that won the Battle of the Bulge. OK they helped..keeping feet dry in cold weather is very important. Put them in the back seat of the Escape, in case it ends up in a ditch. Also making good progress on the loading room, mudding this week, hoping to paint next week. I could get so much done if I didn't have to go to work.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Went shopping for the new twins. Holy bat poop batman.

Pampers/formula/clothing/bits and pieces of this and that.
    We will be cycling these things through for shelf life and fit.

Again....Holy Bat Poop.....Prep never ends.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Be thankful if the twins don't need the fancy (anti colic) formula. That stuff is about $30 per can that's not much bigger than a coffee mug and it only lasts about 4 or 5 days.

11-B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Tomorrow I am going to the store and picking up about 150 bucks of dry foods for long term storage....Beans, Rice, Flour, Yeast, coffee

Any other ideas......???

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Tomorrow I am going to the store and picking up about 150 bucks of dry foods for long term storage....Beans, Rice, Flour, Yeast, coffee

Any other ideas......???

I know a lot of guys buy flour & yeast etc with this grand idea that they're going to be making delicious bread post SHTF. I buy the big bags of Krusteze pancake mix so all I have to do is add water to one other ingredient and heat over a fire. It's not quite homemade bread, but it simplifies things and will get you by pretty easily.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom