What happens now the US has hit the debt ceiling again?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

In a 19 January letter, Treasury Secretary Janet Yelen announced a similar "debt issuance suspension period" for the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund (CSRDF) through 5 June, as well as the suspension of payments to the Postal Service Retiree Health Benefits Fund (PSRHBF).

Last edited:

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Cut the salary of every. Single. Politician. For what they do, $150K max. And that would still be grossly overpaying most of them given how inept they are.

Make them live in regular, reasonable houses like the rest of us.

Stiff penalties (prison, HEAVY fines, etc.) for those caught doing insider trading, backdoor deals and “buyouts” for their votes, etc.

Campaign spending caps, regardless of where the money comes from.

TERM LIMITS FOR EVERY OFFICE.

STOP SENDING MONEY TO CORRUPT ******** COUNTRIES BY THE BILLIONS.

Just a few ideas we can use to reign in this problem. How many times has it been said in the past decade that “YOU CAN’T SPEND YOUR WAY OUT OF DEBT!!!”

:wallbash: :xmad::soapbox:

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    The more government is shut down, the less the screw up. I don’t draw government money, they can be shut down for months and I still have a paycheck. I think they need to amend the shutdown rules to include a larger swath of the fed and add in that no taxes are owed for each day they are shut down and it will not be collected as back taxes when they open back up.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    They just raise it again. R will fight it and fail because D will say the R are stopping SS and welfare if they don’t agree to their terms. Media will say same thing and R will cave so they don’t look like they are the bad guys stopping SS. It’s how it goes every time
    Isn’t it ironic that every time government is shutdown SS is stopped and national parks are closed but still seems like important things like ATF never miss a beat…

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Well without ss the old folks will expire soon anyways so there’s a sure fire democrat vote. And they need to cripple us so the atf CAN do it job of disarming us.

Makes sense to me, not like republicans have a spine or actually have our backs anymore anyways. There are a few exception… I think

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Cut the salary of every. Single. Politician. For what they do, $150K max. And that would still be grossly overpaying most of them given how inept they are.

Make them live in regular, reasonable houses like the rest of us.

Stiff penalties (prison, HEAVY fines, etc.) for those caught doing insider trading, backdoor deals and “buyouts” for their votes, etc.

Campaign spending caps, regardless of where the money comes from.

TERM LIMITS FOR EVERY OFFICE.

STOP SENDING MONEY TO CORRUPT ******** COUNTRIES BY THE BILLIONS.

Just a few ideas we can use to reign in this problem. How many times has it been said in the past decade that “YOU CAN’T SPEND YOUR WAY OUT OF DEBT!!!”

:wallbash: :xmad::soapbox:
    I do not have a problem with paying them well. The other money they make while there is a problem. If you cut their pay, they are only going to look elsewhere even more for money.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    A shutdown should be a total shutdown(except for military of course). To further the whole conversation, no backpay while shutdown. all politicians get a paycut & reduction in benefits. All politicians should be working out of the home district and aren't required to be in DC anymore. The technology we have allows for secure video conference & tele-commuting. I saw this one the other day, if your not on the floor you shouldn't get paid. You must vote yes or no on a bill. All bills should have a line by line review. I don't believe any bill should be voted on without a complete review.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I do not have a problem with paying them well. The other money they make while there is a problem. If you cut their pay, they are only going to look elsewhere even more for money.

Then define “well.” IMO $150k-200k is plenty for what they do. Make them work a regular job when out of session. I don’t get paid if I’m not at work, and neither should they.

And throw their ass in jail if their side hustle is illegal. That’s what would happen to you or me. Hell, I’d be dead if I did half the crap they get away with!

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    They will raise it. They have too. The R’s will act like they are fighting it. But in the end they will raise it. They have to. Our financial system is based on raising it. They have no choice. Raise it or default.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Never going to happen. It has been this way for most folks lives. This goes all the way to bankruptcy before it crashes…
    I didn't say it would happen. I said it was time. Way past time. We've been bankrupt for a very long time now. Congress and the treasury just refuse to admit it.

Top Bottom