What drills did you run this week and how did you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ran a drill called Quick and Dirty. 30 rounds total.
    3 yards, holstered, draw and fire 3 rounds SHO, switch and fire 3 rounds WHO within 6 seconds
    5 yards, holstered, draw and fire 3 rounds to the body and one to the head in 4 seconds, repeat two more times
    7 yards, ready position, 3 rounds only, fire, conduct an empty gun reload and 3 more rounds within 7 seconds
    15 yards, holstered, draw and fire 3 rounds standing, drop to kneeling and fire 3 rounds in 12 seconds.
    Maximum possible score=150. Zero points for shots past par time.

I shot a 103 with my TX22 and an 95 with my M&P.

Next up was the SCAT drill. Scored a 124.58 with my TX22(first time with this pistol) and a 106.57 with my M&P which is the highest score to date with that pistol.

Ran the Texas Star clean in 6.73s with a 2.92s draw. It may be the first time I cleaned a Texas Star
    Ran the plate rack in 5.42s with a 2.27s draw. Cleaned it also.

Oh, and I sent a couple old hard drives to Heaven today. "Blew the lungs right out of them with my 9 mm!"

All in all I am very pleased with today's range session. My attitude is good and I'm taking the performance/results as they are knowing that I was out there doing something.

Cedartop, do you want to keep this thread going for 2023 or start a new one? I'm good with continuing this one. It seems to be mostly you, backtrail and myself consistently posting but that's okay. It does help me to post my range sessions both from an accountability point and an exercise in humility. I mean, who would be bold enough to post a 5.42 second plate rack when a lot of folks can clear one in 2.27 seconds which was my draw speed!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Ran a drill called Quick and Dirty. 30 rounds total.
    3 yards, holstered, draw and fire 3 rounds SHO, switch and fire 3 rounds WHO within 6 seconds
    5 yards, holstered, draw and fire 3 rounds to the body and one to the head in 4 seconds, repeat two more times
    7 yards, ready position, 3 rounds only, fire, conduct an empty gun reload and 3 more rounds within 7 seconds
    15 yards, holstered, draw and fire 3 rounds standing, drop to kneeling and fire 3 rounds in 12 seconds.
    Maximum possible score=150. Zero points for shots past par time.

I shot a 103 with my TX22 and an 95 with my M&P.

Next up was the SCAT drill. Scored a 124.58 with my TX22(first time with this pistol) and a 106.57 with my M&P which is the highest score to date with that pistol.

Ran the Texas Star clean in 6.73s with a 2.92s draw. It may be the first time I cleaned a Texas Star
    Ran the plate rack in 5.42s with a 2.27s draw. Cleaned it also.

Oh, and I sent a couple old hard drives to Heaven today. "Blew the lungs right out of them with my 9 mm!"

All in all I am very pleased with today's range session. My attitude is good and I'm taking the performance/results as they are knowing that I was out there doing something.

Cedartop, do you want to keep this thread going for 2023 or start a new one? I'm good with continuing this one. It seems to be mostly you, backtrail and myself consistently posting but that's okay. It does help me to post my range sessions both from an accountability point and an exercise in humility. I mean, who would be bold enough to post a 5.42 second plate rack when a lot of folks can clear one in 2.27 seconds which was my draw speed!
    I am heading to the range now. I will run Quick and Dirty, the Rangemaster DOTM and the other stuff I had planned. Just got my Legion X-carry back with the Gray guns comp trigger we will see how that runs.

New one or continue this one? Not sure.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I was supposed to have today off of work, but had to go in this morning to fix some problems. Unfortunately I think that set the tone for the day.

I wanted to run the Rangemaster DOTM cold with my C2 and carry gear so that is what I did. I made par but was a little on the slow side.
    PXL_20230102_184700416.MP.jpg

Went to run the Quick and Dirty which I know I have run before but I couldn't remember how to score it are even what target to use. I decided on a IDPA because there is a body to head transition in it. I got wild on my second run of string 2 and pulled 3 out. At 15 I went a little high with the first shot from kneeling. All were well within par.
    PXL_20230102_185424397.MP.jpg

After those I switched to IDPA gear and the aforementioned Legion X-Carry I just got back fresh with a 1.8# trigger. It is still a piece of crap. It just kills me how inaccurate this gun is. Anyway it was time for the meat of my workout so I went to 10-10-10 drill but on 3X5 cards. I ran that 10 times and was finding that my grip is just not staying consistent. 10 shots at speed will reveal things like that. Every so often rounds were going high or squirting out the sides. I could feel it and see it happening, but actually correcting was getting frustrating. I ran the standard 10-10-10 on a B8 for 5 runs after that and while all were passing, under 10 seconds over 90 points, my best score was a 99 and was averaging 7.5 seconds. I then ran a couple from the ready but with a reload and did manage to also get "passing" runs on both of those.

I then ran the RM Armada drill with this gun and rig. I shot it faster and more accurate but this was most likely due to the fact of being well warmed up. I shot a 11.64 hit factor.
    PXL_20230102_194631052.MP.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ran the FBI qual with both pistols. Easily passed. Next time I run it, I'm going to tighten the groups since I had plenty of time in most of the strings.

Then I just shot the plate rack for fun and did some accuracy work to empty my mags before going home. I think it's good to do some unstructured shooting from time to time. At least it is for me.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Let me get the excuses out of the way first. I thought it was going to be 40 degrees and sunny today, in reality it was 32, cloudy, and breezy. Oh well.

I just changed my 507k on my 365 XL out for a EPS carry so I started by sighting that in. I got it close with my current practice ammo at 10 yards and then dialed it in at 10 and 25 with my carry ammo. (Federal 147 HST). After that I ran the 5 yard round up. For those that say this guns shoots like a full size gun, well you must be a lot better shooter than me. It shoots well, but for me it is harder to shoot well, especially one handed than a bigger gun. My smallest gun that shoots really well is my Staccato C2.

I decided to try my spare barrel in the Sig Carry Legion to see if it would improve accuracy. Short story, it got even worse. I put the factory threaded barrel back in. I have given this gun so many chances and I don't know why. Anyway after that I went to doubles at 5 and 10 yards and "practical accuracy" at 10 and 25. I ran these basic drills in the continuing quest to improve my grip consistency and thereby my accuracy at speed. These paved the way for the big drill of the session, Average Joes Challenge: D town shuffle.

This drill really worked all of the stuff I have been trying to do so when I saw it I knew I would have to try. I used IDPA targets instead of USPSA. On the five yard target for the body shots I used predictive shooting and on the 15 yard target and the 5 yard head shots I used reactive. There are of course those who could use predictive on all of them but I am not there yet. I ran the drill 7 times (70 rounds) my best clean run being 4.45 seconds. It went fairly well and for this type of shooting the X-carry lack of accuracy didn't hurt me.

The last drill was what I call the 5-5-5 but with a twist. Typically I shoot this at the beginning as a warm up, slow fire trying to keep all of the rounds into as small a group as possible. Today I shot it from 10 yards like usual and the normal 5 FS, 5 SHO, and 5 WHO, but the target was the IDPA head and the goal was to shoot them reactively and just keep them in the head. I can't report the time because I apparently forgot to write it down. I was getting pretty cold by then. It went well though.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Ran the FBI qual with both pistols. Easily passed. Next time I run it, I'm going to tighten the groups since I had plenty of time in most of the strings.

Then I just shot the plate rack for fun and did some accuracy work to empty my mags before going home. I think it's good to do some unstructured shooting from time to time. At least it is for me.
    I haven't run the FBI qual in a while. I was introduced to it 10 years ago in the Rangemaster Instructor Development Class. It is one of the tests you have to shoot to pass the class. IIRC we had to get a 90% on it. I have run it a number of times since and have seen many others run it. Of course the 25 yard stage seems to be where most drop their points. I have been considering using this for my coaching sessions this spring at my club but am a little worried it might be too much for some of the newer shooters.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Let me get the excuses out of the way first. I thought it was going to be 40 degrees and sunny today, in reality it was 32, cloudy, and breezy. Oh well.

I just changed my 507k on my 365 XL out for a EPS carry so I started by sighting that in. I got it close with my current practice ammo at 10 yards and then dialed it in at 10 and 25 with my carry ammo. (Federal 147 HST). After that I ran the 5 yard round up. For those that say this guns shoots like a full size gun, well you must be a lot better shooter than me. It shoots well, but for me it is harder to shoot well, especially one handed than a bigger gun. My smallest gun that shoots really well is my Staccato C2.

I decided to try my spare barrel in the Sig Carry Legion to see if it would improve accuracy. Short story, it got even worse. I put the factory threaded barrel back in. I have given this gun so many chances and I don't know why. Anyway after that I went to doubles at 5 and 10 yards and "practical accuracy" at 10 and 25. I ran these basic drills in the continuing quest to improve my grip consistency and thereby my accuracy at speed. These paved the way for the big drill of the session, Average Joes Challenge: D town shuffle.

This drill really worked all of the stuff I have been trying to do so when I saw it I knew I would have to try. I used IDPA targets instead of USPSA. On the five yard target for the body shots I used predictive shooting and on the 15 yard target and the 5 yard head shots I used reactive. There are of course those who could use predictive on all of them but I am not there yet. I ran the drill 7 times (70 rounds) my best clean run being 4.45 seconds. It went fairly well and for this type of shooting the X-carry lack of accuracy didn't hurt me.
    Curious why the change from the 507 to the EPS?

Yes, it was colder but not as bad as a couple weeks ago when I had to abort the session. Way too cold. My hands got a little chilly today. I need to remember to load mags the night before in my warm-ish(65 degrees) home.

I wrote down the requirements for the D-Town Shuffle. I'll run it next time.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I haven't run the FBI qual in a while. I was introduced to it 10 years ago in the Rangemaster Instructor Development Class. It is one of the tests you have to shoot to pass the class. IIRC we had to get a 90% on it. I have run it a number of times since and have seen many others run it. Of course the 25 yard stage seems to be where most drop their points. I have been considering using this for my coaching sessions this spring at my club but am a little worried it might be too much for some of the newer shooters.
    The shooting from standing and then dropping to the knees would concern me a bit for new shooters. That's a fair amount of movement if you are one instructor with a line of shooters.

But if you are coaching a small group, I think it would be fun for them. If they pass, they will feel good that they shoot well enough to be in the FBI! :)

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Curious why the change from the 507 to the EPS?

Yes, it was colder but not as bad as a couple weeks ago when I had to abort the session. Way too cold. My hands got a little chilly today. I need to remember to load mags the night before in my warm-ish(65 degrees) home.

I wrote down the requirements for the D-Town Shuffle. I'll run it next time.
    Wanted to give a closed emitter a try. There was nothing wrong with the 507K. I try to be up on all things dot related.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I just changed my 507k on my 365 XL out for a EPS carry so I started by sighting that in. I got it close with my current practice ammo at 10 yards and then dialed it in at 10 and 25 with my carry ammo. (Federal 147 HST).
    @cedartop

Can you give a review of the EPS? I'm getting interested in the EPS optics from Holosun, and a review from a member holds more weight than most other sources.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Did the D-Town Shuffle today. Quickest with the TX22 was 5.93, still from compressed ready(should have holster by next week) and 6.38 with my Compact.

Ran the Quick and Dirty next with both pistols. Still a little slower with the Compact that is due to drawing from the holster vs compressed ready with the TX22. I need to check my first shot time when I am working from compressed ready. Not that it matters now that I will have a holster moving forward.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Started with checking zero on the 365XL at 10 and 25 after mounting the new EPS unit last weekend. It was good. I will now put witness marks on the screws. After the zero check I went into the Rangemaster Short Combat Accuracy Test. I scored a 11.36 HF which is in the Advanced ranking but not great. I realize it has been too long in between sessions with my little carry gun and it definitely shows on the one handed stuff.

Out came the Sig Legion X-Carry and I started with a 10 yard zero on that as well. Not surprisingly, the XL put up a better 10 yard group.

So some new stuff today, sorta. I have been watching a bunch of videos from Tactical Performance Center lately and they have challenges which look like good drills so I gave some of them a shot.

I started with their Reactor drill. This is very similar to something I do in dry fire and have seen Gabe White teach it as well. I have attached a link to the drill but in short you are at 4 yards shooting at rows of 1 inch circles. You start with the trigger prepped and on the beep you take your shot basically as fast as you can. I think through a combination of working this in dry fire, and the new 2 pound trigger in this gun I did very well and after 6 runs (30 rounds) I averaged a GM score and had a fastest time of .14. I was feeling pretty good about that so I also ran some SHO and WHO. That was not so good and I actually did better on WHO but had a number outside the 1 inch circles on both of those.

Next up from TPC was the Flinch Grinch challenge. Well as good as I did on the first one, I did that poorly on this one. This drill consists of starting with the trigger to the rear as if you had just fired a shot, releasing through reset and then pressing of a shot. Wow did I have a lot of misses on those 1 inch circles. This will be getting some dry fire time for sure.

The third TPC challenge was the Diminishing Dots. Instead of starting aimed in on this one you start from more of a compressed ready and shoot a sequence of 4 dots that start at 3 inches? and go down to 1 inch. This didn't go too badly and all of my runs were in the Master classification, except for the ones where I went a little wide on the 1 inch dot.

These drills were fun and challenging and I think I will try some more and then pare them down to the ones that I need right now along with the ones I do poorly on, like the Flinch Grinch.

I decided to do some runs on the IDPA 5X5 and I have to say I was a little disappointed. Out of three runs I had two experts and a Master. If you remember the goal is to run Master on demand so I have a ways to go. My draws to first hit were too slow, my consistent grip for managing recoil and getting the splits I need still needs work, and even though my reloads felt awesome, they were still a little slow at between 2.0-2.25 seconds. I am fairly convinced I am on the right track, I just need more proper practice.

I had 2 rounds left so I went back to 25 yards and basically ran something similar to the first TPC drill but on the head of the IDPA target. My first shot was a .22 and dead center hit. The second one was a .20 and just nicked the cardboard where the ear would be, resulting in a miss.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Started with checking zero on the 365XL at 10 and 25 after mounting the new EPS unit last weekend. It was good. I will now put witness marks on the screws. After the zero check I went into the Rangemaster Short Combat Accuracy Test. I scored a 11.36 HF which is in the Advanced ranking but not great. I realize it has been too long in between sessions with my little carry gun and it definitely shows on the one handed stuff.

Out came the Sig Legion X-Carry and I started with a 10 yard zero on that as well. Not surprisingly, the XL put up a better 10 yard group.

So some new stuff today, sorta. I have been watching a bunch of videos from Tactical Performance Center lately and they have challenges which look like good drills so I gave some of them a shot.

I started with their Reactor drill. This is very similar to something I do in dry fire and have seen Gabe White teach it as well. I have attached a link to the drill but in short you are at 4 yards shooting at rows of 1 inch circles. You start with the trigger prepped and on the beep you take your shot basically as fast as you can. I think through a combination of working this in dry fire, and the new 2 pound trigger in this gun I did very well and after 6 runs (30 rounds) I averaged a GM score and had a fastest time of .14. I was feeling pretty good about that so I also ran some SHO and WHO. That was not so good and I actually did better on WHO but had a number outside the 1 inch circles on both of those.

Next up from TPC was the Flinch Grinch challenge. Well as good as I did on the first one, I did that poorly on this one. This drill consists of starting with the trigger to the rear as if you had just fired a shot, releasing through reset and then pressing of a shot. Wow did I have a lot of misses on those 1 inch circles. This will be getting some dry fire time for sure.

The third TPC challenge was the Diminishing Dots. Instead of starting aimed in on this one you start from more of a compressed ready and shoot a sequence of 4 dots that start at 3 inches? and go down to 1 inch. This didn't go too badly and all of my runs were in the Master classification, except for the ones where I went a little wide on the 1 inch dot.

These drills were fun and challenging and I think I will try some more and then pare them down to the ones that I need right now along with the ones I do poorly on, like the Flinch Grinch.

I decided to do some runs on the IDPA 5X5 and I have to say I was a little disappointed. Out of three runs I had two experts and a Master. If you remember the goal is to run Master on demand so I have a ways to go. My draws to first hit were too slow, my consistent grip for managing recoil and getting the splits I need still needs work, and even though my reloads felt awesome, they were still a little slow at between 2.0-2.25 seconds. I am fairly convinced I am on the right track, I just need more proper practice.

I had 2 rounds left so I went back to 25 yards and basically ran something similar to the first TPC drill but on the head of the IDPA target. My first shot was a .22 and dead center hit. The second one was a .20 and just nicked the cardboard where the ear would be, resulting in a miss.
    Sounds like some good drills. Did you download some targets with 1" circles or did you already have some? Are the Dot Torture circles 1"?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    @cedartop

Can you give a review of the EPS? I'm getting interested in the EPS optics from Holosun, and a review from a member holds more weight than most other sources.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Started of this session with the 3 round fadeback drill that Dave Spaulding often uses and shot it with the 3 guns I am currently shooting or carrying the most. Yes, I should have shot it clean with the Staccato C2 as it is definitely capable of doing it but I got a little impatient. The gloves I wore today probably didn't help matters either. 5, 7, 10, 15, 20, and 25 yards.

PXL_20230121_201954592.MP.jpg

During the week I have been dry firing the Flinch Grinch drill from TPC that I did so poorly on last week. I did improve, but the flogging will continue. I ran it FS, SHO, and WHO.

My main drill was the Ben Stoeger drill I guess called Bunny Stacks? It is very similar to the X drill just shot in a different pattern. I tried to keep a focus on process in this drill not outcome. Making sure that I was keeping a consistent grip and that on the headshots I was seeing what I needed to see and pressing the trigger consistently. I did this from the ready as it was pretty cold out there and I was bundled up.

I had planned on finishing up with The Complete Combatant bullseye drill but didn't do a good enough job of ammo management so I ran one of my friends Randy Harris's favorite drill, the Rostoff Challenge. I passed it, which isn't a huge deal depending on what you are shooting it with, but I was happy knowing the problems I have been having the the Legion X-Carry in the accuracy department.

PXL_20230121_205702906.MP.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    No range session today. I had some skin cancer cut off the top of my head and I was concerned my earpro and cold weather hat would mess with the 7 staples up there, lol.

I should be okay by next Sunday.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I didn't think I would make it out this weekend but there was a break in the snow this morning and with no wind the 25 degrees didn't seem too bad. I again started with the 3 round fadeback and like last week didn't clean it with any of the guns. Most of the misses were so close that I really wanted to keep shooting until I could get a clean 3X5 but reminded myself that was not what I am currently working on.

Next drill up was my main drill of the day but I also ran it with all 3 guns. I have used this drill before but I just saw where Dave Spaulding has given it a name. He calls it the deliberation drill. It is basically the Hackathorn/Vickers Test, or 10-10-10 done on a 3X5 card. Shooting 10 rounds at a time at a relatively quick pace is definitely a test of grip. Using the 365XL I shot it 4 times at a 10 second pace and managed to finally get them all on the card on the last run. Using this gun for me it is clear to see how not having a normal support hand grip is more of a challenge. When I switched to the C2 I decided to run it a little faster as it is much easier to shoot. One thing I didn't count on was the effect the vastly different triggers would have on me and on my first run I sent the second shot very high while still recovering from recoil. There isn't much prep needed on that 2011 trigger. Up last I used the Legion X-Carry and tried to go at an 8 second pace. I ran more iterations with this gun and cleaned it about half the time at that pace. For me this is definitely reactive shooting, that is getting a sight picture before pressing the trigger. That is the easy part and keeping a consistent grip through ten shots is the part I still am working on. I am not sure if others have this issue, but when it is cold out it is much harder for me to keep my grip intact.

I had 6 rounds left out of my 200 so I continued the 3X5 theme and shot from 25 yards slow fire with the Legion. I went 4/6 on the card. Not bad, but still not up to the ease or accuracy of my Walther Q5.

Top Bottom