What drills did you run this week and how did you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ran several drills today.

First up was a drill called Diminishing Dot's. I failed miserably at this one, lol. I didn't even make the slowest time on the sheet.

I ran a drill called Present Arms Drill:
    2-shots from ready, 2-shots with hand on holster and 2 shots drawing from holster. Supposedly it is a Gunsite test after a 2 day class where the student should be able to get the two rounds off and on target in 1.5 seconds.

I succeeded with my TX22C (1.35,1.27,1.50) and failed 2 out of three with my 2.0 Compact(1.41, 1.51, 1.88)

Next up was Quick and Dirty:
    TX22C score was 144
    Didn't run it with the Compact though I intended to

Next drill: Scat Drill
    TX22C-Score: 125.24
    Compact-Score: 94.47

Last up was a few failure to neutralize drills with my Shield: 2.79 and 3.25

I was happy with today's session other than the first drill.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I ran the 99 Drill today with the TX and Compact. Scored a 75 with the TX and 68 with the Compact. Not great, but an improvement over the last time I shot them. I had a lot of difficulty dropping the mags on the mag change part. Thumbs just weren't working, lol. I lost the most points on that portion scoring approx. 10 less points than the other parts.

I would like to have an extended release for the TX but the only one I know of is a Tandemkross one and it's too extended with sharp edges and it cuts into my support hand while shooting. If someone would come up with one with half the increased extension of the Tandemkross, I'd be in Goldilocks land.

Since that drill consumes a fair amount of time and ammo, after that I set up a course where I fired on two targets, 1 at 7 yards, 1 at 10, ran to the dueling tree, shot that, then the Texas Star, then to the other side of the bay doing a reload to drop the plate rack. Kinda fun to try and see what a IDPA/USPSA I COF would feel like.

I was at the range for 1 hour 40 minutes which is much longer than my usual time there. It was a good session.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I was afraid that the range would be busy today as it was almost 40 and some sun. To my surprise I was the only one there. Probably because there is still 4-5 inches of snow on the ground. The worst part was I forgot my phone so no photo documentation. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, I sucked so bad pictures weren't required.

I started again with all 3 guns I am currently shooting and running Justin Dyal's Prep Time. This drill is deceiving. The times look very generous at first, but once you recognize you are 10 yards away and shooting a 3X3" post it, it comes into focus. So on this drill which gun I was using made quite a difference. Since recoil control is not tested, the big difference was mostly due to triggers. My 365XL is stock and as such really brings up the rear in this department compared to my Atlas trigger in my Staccato and the sub 2 pound Greyguns in the Sig. I had 1 Mike with the 365 and one with the Legion on the 2 shot string.

I went from that to the Rangemaster DOM, Cover the basics. I was so slow I went and looked in a mirror to see if I has suddenly aged 20 years. With the 365Xl I ran a 7.02 HF (Tom gave a par of 6). Part of this was because of the reload. One, it doesn't always drop free because my hand gets in the way, two being a lefty with a small stiff slide release means I have to come over the top to charge. The Staccato brought 8.36 HF and the Sig Legion was a 9.18. A common denominator was that my draw was SLOOOOOOW. Not sure what is going on there, I feel like I am being honest in dry fire, so???

Next up was the meat of the session do Stoeger doubles, and Bill Drills. On the doubles I worked at 5, 7, and 10 yards. At 5 I was averaging .20 splits with nothing outside the down zero. At 7, .22 splits with 1 or 2 down and at 10, .23 splits but with a number down. With this information I should probably not even mess with the 5 yard distance. On the Bill drills (from concealment) the slow draw was still plaguing me. I did run some one shot draws and was getting a 1.5 ave so clearly I am either just slow, or overconfirming. To think, Tim Herron did 7 yard bill drills to the A box in the head this week and managed a 1.89 clean. (after 3 days, 1700 rounds and I think he said 260 attempts). I followed this up with some D5's at 10 and some SHO D5's at 10.

I closed it out with 10 shots to a 3X5 at 25 yards. I ran a disappointing 4/10 at this, but at least they were all in the head. All in all, not a great session but at least I didn't freeze to death.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I know this is really for shooting drills, but I'm going to document that today I did 15 minutes of drilling from the side control position with my buddy Billy during open mat.

We started in the position and worked to escape or recover guard. The top player worked to maintain control. I did not escape as smoothly as I'd like. I had my back taken at least twice but was never mounted. I did escape a few times or was able to wrestle up to better position and get on top.

From the top position I was able to control fairly well if I moved over the shoulder or to north south. I gave up the undertook a few times and Billy is hard to control once he has the underhook.

Billy is a forum member. Maybe he will read this.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I know this is really for shooting drills, but I'm going to document that today I did 15 minutes of drilling from the side control position with my buddy Billy during open mat.

We started in the position and worked to escape or recover guard. The top player worked to maintain control. I did not escape as smoothly as I'd like. I had my back taken at least twice but was never mounted. I did escape a few times or was able to wrestle up to better position and get on top.

From the top position I was able to control fairly well if I moved over the shoulder or to north south. I gave up the undertook a few times and Billy is hard to control once he has the underhook.

Billy is a forum member. Maybe he will read this.
    Maybe not a shooting drill, but still drilling for improvement and not just running your mouth. I mean after all, as long as you never let anyone get within 21 feet who needs skills.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Maybe not a shooting drill, but still drilling for improvement and not just running your mouth. I mean after all, as long as you never let anyone get within 21 feet who needs skills.
    I pretty much stay home aside from Jiu Jitsu. So I'm either way outside 21 feet, or basically hugging everyone I see. Its all or nothing for me.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Did a repeat of last week's drills. 99 Drill with both pistols. Scored better this week and didn't fumble with the reloads as often. It's obvious that I need to work on the draw and reloads so this is a good drill to get reps in.

I am transitioning back to an overhand slide release vs hitting the slide release with my support thumb. I like the support thumb release on my 1911 and M&P but the release is so small and recessed on the TX that I miss it often.

But I should adopt one was for everything, lol.

99 Scores
    TX22C=84
    2.0 Compact=77

Ran out a mag of 9mm on the plate rack; 4.19, 4.96

Range was surprisingly busy. Only one bay left in the back when I took mine.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I shot yesterday at the end of the light. It was pretty nice when I got to the range, about 45 and sunny, but by the time I left it was down to 33 and I hadn't really dressed for it and was getting a bit cold.

Started off wanting to do some one handed work on my warm up drills as I know I have been neglecting it lately. Boy was I right. Once again the difference, for me anyway, was in stark contrast between different guns. Running my 5-5-5 drill at 25 yards produced some pretty bad results. The 2 handed work was ok, but the SO and WHO was abysmal. Need to not neglect that as much in both live and dry fire. It used to be somewhat of a strength for me. It is tough to work everything.
    PXL_20230211_215342185.MP.jpg

After this I went to a drill from a forum member over on PF. I had been doing it live fire for a couple of weeks and this was my first chance to do it live (and dry, it is a mix). Forcing yourself to shoot beyond where you are comfortable can teach you some things. I noticed some side to side wobble, support hand getting on the gun too late sometimes, and overextension especially at the 3 yard line. I also noticed, and this is largely what the drill is about, I can observe with my vision way more in dry fire than in live.

Long story short, 15 yards draw fire 2 in 2 seconds.
    7 yards, draw and fire 2 in 1.5 seconds.
    3 yards, draw and fire 2 in 1 second.

PXL_20230211_222121738.MP.jpg

I then ran the Wilson/IDPA 5X5 3 times. Had 2 expert and 1 master run. My times were fast enough but I dropped too many down 1's.

I finished up doing one shot draws to the headbox at 25. I was trying to draw and fire as fast as I could get settled on the target the proper amount for that distance. My presses weren't as good as they needed to be and at an average of 2.25 seconds per shot I only went 5/10 on hits.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Started same as last week mostly with the 5-5-5 at 25 drill. Did so bad with the 365XL that I did it a second time. I skipped the Staccato as I had other work planned for that and went to the Legion. I had my best 25 yard shooting yet with that gun. It wasn't impressive by many standards but for me and that gun it was not bad. All of the freestyle rounds were in the black on I really only had 2 flyers with the one handed stuff.

Next up was the C2 and the Vickers Dirty 30 Part 2.

PXL_20230218_215129939.MP.jpg
    String 1 8.92 seconds, String 2 9.93, String 3 11.83 seconds. As you can see most of my points down I pushed to the right. Most of these were at 15 were I should have been a little more patient.

Going back to the Legion I ran the "See What You Need to See" drill twice. I am seeing more and am getting faster. I dry fired it every day this past week. My problem point is making the 1 second time for 2 shots at 3 yards still. The 7 and 15 yard stages came in good though I did have a couple of wild shots. With a drill like this you realize just how important the index is. Everything has to be correct with your draw.

A couple of Bill drills netted me a 2.48 and 2.42. Nothing to write home about there. The hold up is the draw. For a 2 second Bill drill you really need a 1 second draw to first hit.

My biggest disappointment for the day was probably the 25 yard 2.5 second par concealed draws to the headbox. I stunk those up bad. After 10 of those I did 5 slow fire to the head and did get them all but they were spread out. Inaccurate Sig strikes again.

Probably only a couple more range trips like this and I will have to start training for the Bianchi cup match in May.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I found out last week that I have to use my safety on my TX22C if I shoot rimfire. I am anticipating a few dead triggers if I shoot the first match in early March so I decided to work on setting the safety when I holster/reholster and thumbing it off on the draw.

You would think this would be automatic since I historically have shot 1911's. But a couple years now with striker fired pistols without thumb safeties and I have lost that movement.

I ran the 99 drills again so I could get some reps in to practice engaging and disengaging the thumb safety.

Scores for both the TX and Compact weren't great, but that's okay. If I improved every range session, I'd be a pro by now!

99 Drill:
    TX22C=76
    Compact= 67

I was slow on the draw partly due to the layers of clothing I had on and partly due to my hands being a touch cold. But hey, we need to be able to shoot in adverse conditions when not everything is perfect, right?

Range was kind of busy. There was a class in one bay and people in the two bays on either side of me.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Nice at at the range. It was a bit impromptu and this unstructured. But i figured it would be a nice cold test as i haven't live fired since New years eve.

Gen 5 19 with 407c and grip anchor. On an enigma with jmck shell and under a hoodie, thermal, and t shirt.

Cold test was the Bakersfield Qual but on a b8, because wtf has 7" circles in their range bag?!¿ Made the pars except for the reload string, which had a horrible first shot time because the dot was not in the window. It was not high, as usual with a glock, but LOW which is certainly an anomaly for me. The final string put one in the 7 ring for -1 and the rest were all within a half inch or so of the 9 ring so i called them good. Being within a .25 over par on the reload string also netted a -1 for a 298.

Next up was Dyal's prep time. Deceiver!! All under par but put one out on each of the last three strings. Disappointing but lesson learned as the drill is intended. He called it in the article, fast guys not using enough time and applying the necessary amount of care to the trigger.

Rest of the day was spent messing with rifles. Zeroed a friend DD with the shittu eotech and we ran a set of standards. I split my time between his DD and a 15/22 messing with the cheek pistol concept. I'm not much into rifles though so it was meh.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ran the Bill Drill cold with my EDC a few times. Best time was 4.20.

Ran the SCAT drill with the TX and Compact. Not the best but okay.

Then ran the plate rack a bunch of times with the quickest being 4.58 with the Compact.

Looking at my draw speed I am consistently around the 2 second mark.

I did get one of the head shots from ready position in 0.92 seconds. I didn't think I could do anything in less than a second! :)

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Not as warm as they said it was going to be today, but that is ok as it kept people away and at least it was sunny.

Started the session out by zeroing my new Custom Works slide/SRO on the X-Carry. Tried it first with the ZEV barrel which had horrible accuracy with the stock slide. Well, long story short it did no better with this slide. As a matter of fact, at 25 yards it looked like a shotgun pattern. Switching over to the factory barrel, which itself has been disappointing in the accuracy department, it did OK. I thought I had a picture of the 3 25 yard runs but can't find it.

Shot the Spaulding 3 rd fadeback with both the 365XL and the X-Carry. At 5 yards I was WHO, and at 7 SHO, then at 10, 15, 20, and 25 I has FS. With the 365 I had 6 out of the 18 rounds off the 3X5 but just by a little. With the Legion I threw one out at 20 and 1 at 25. Wish it would have been clean, but that is good enough for what this gun is for.

PXL_20230226_174602107.MP.jpg

Next up was the Rangemaster March DOM the Baseline Assessment drill shot with the Staccato C2. Not sure exactly how I did on this because I had everything wrote on the target, and can't find that picture either. IIRC I had a 195/200 and was well under par on everything except the SHO string.

After that I went into the meat of my session with the SWYNTS drill and the SWYNTS 2 drill. The latter involves transitions. On the first I am continuing to see more in dry fire than live, but the gap is shrinking. Still at a bit of a standstill on my draw as evidenced by the D2 at 3 yards not breaking 1 second for 2 shots. I noticed during the second drill that works backwards in a way that I was rushing as the distance went back to 15 yards and I wasn't seeing enough to get good hits. That stage includes drawing and shooting 2 to the left target and 2 to the right target in 2.6 seconds total. That is a 1.4 draw with sub .40 splits to 2 sheets of 8"X10" paper using a 2 inch black aiming spot for 4 shots. It is doable at 15 yards but at my current level, I have to get everything right. And as I said, I was rushing and not seeing quite enough. The dry work will continue.

Lastly I went back to 25 yards and worked timed and untimed headshots from concealment with the X-Carry.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    I don't stockpile ammo but instead shoot as much as the budget allows. Thus i have not yet bought my allotment of 9mm for the year yet but wanted to take advantage of the nice day and so i took my 15/22 out again. I rarely work rifle stuff so it's been nice working on the basics there. Single shots, reloads, and transitions plus plenty of teen splits because sitting 22's fast is a great time!

My 15/22 is the most reliable rimfire I've owned. Not a single malfunction or misfire in several hundred rounds from my random steel challenge leftover box. I've had it longer than nearly any other gun and round count is unknown because i don't track rimfire but it's a staple.

I ran plenty of rifle drills and pistol standards. I don't differentiate here as the shooting problem is the same in my mind, despite what tool you're using. The rifle (especially rimfire) just highlights how much easier it is to meet those standards than with a pistol. I would not hesitate to use my 15/22 defensively if need be and it is a solid choice for elderly etc... who may struggle with center fire. Rimfire isn't a recommendation if you can run something else but i think it's viable if reliable.

The main problem is that i have to crank the shot timer sensitivity or it doesn't pick up shots. I need a comp to make it louder like many of the steel challenge guys. Fun day for sure! It's starting to crank my interest in a pcc for affordable rifle play and as a steel challenge gun.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't stockpile ammo but instead shoot as much as the budget allows. Thus i have not yet bought my allotment of 9mm for the year yet but wanted to take advantage of the nice day and so i took my 15/22 out again. I rarely work rifle stuff so it's been nice working on the basics there. Single shots, reloads, and transitions plus plenty of teen splits because sitting 22's fast is a great time!

My 15/22 is the most reliable rimfire I've owned. Not a single malfunction or misfire in several hundred rounds from my random steel challenge leftover box. I've had it longer than nearly any other gun and round count is unknown because i don't track rimfire but it's a staple.

I ran plenty of rifle drills and pistol standards. I don't differentiate here as the shooting problem is the same in my mind, despite what tool you're using. The rifle (especially rimfire) just highlights how much easier it is to meet those standards than with a pistol. I would not hesitate to use my 15/22 defensively if need be and it is a solid choice for elderly etc... who may struggle with center fire. Rimfire isn't a recommendation if you can run something else but i think it's viable if reliable.

The main problem is that i have to crank the shot timer sensitivity or it doesn't pick up shots. I need a comp to make it louder like many of the steel challenge guys. Fun day for sure! It's starting to crank my interest in a pcc for affordable rifle play and as a steel challenge gun.

I love my 15-22! It is a blast to shoot. I did have some feed issues early on so I put a Volquartsen extractor in which eliminated it.

I have been focusing on getting some time behind my "newish" TX22C, but I'll be getting it back out soon.

I like to use it along with my .22 pistol to run the CSAT drill.

It's just a fun gun to run!
    M&P 15-22 Right Side.jpg

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

Yep. I run my 15/22 way more than any of my true AR's these days. You are right about the shot timer though. If by myself I usually just set a par.

BTW, that is the same way I go with ammo.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Started off with what I have been wasting altogether too much time with, trying to wring accuracy out of this Sig. Last night I put the new Killer Innovations barrel in and it did not look promising. It would not even cycle reliably by hand with dummy rounds in either slide. I did keep working it and oiled it up good. At least at the range today it ran well with no issues in the original slide. I will try it with the Custom shop slide next. Accuracy was ok. Certainly better than the Zev barrel. I ran 50 through it at 10 and 25 yards.

I always try to do at least one defensive drill with my carry gear. Today it was the Rangemaster 3X5 drill that Wayne Dobbs had posted on Facebook. The target is a 3X5 card using a B8 as background (I actually used something else) At 5 yards you have 5 seconds for a draw from concealment and 5 shots. At 5 yards from the ready you shoot 3 rounds SHO and then 2 rounds WHO in a par time of 7 seconds. Next is 3Reload3 at 7 yards from the ready in 8 seconds and then finish up with 4 rounds at 10 yards from the ready in 4 seconds. Shots in the 3X5 are 10 points, shots in the backer are worth 5 and off of that is zero. Next time I may try them all from the holster. I shot this with the Staccato.
    PXL_20230304_211946949.MP.jpg

After that drill I switched back to the Legion and ran SWYNTS 2 times, once with each Legion upper. I was happy to make my par times at 15 and 7, and even make the par of 2 shots at 3 yards in 1 second twice. One with each upper. I am starting to get enough under par at 15 that I should probably switch to a little more refinement. At 7 I don't yet have any extra time and at 3 it is still a grind to get under a second. I find at these levels the sometimes breakdown seems to be getting the proper grip with my support hand on the draw.

Stoeger doubles were next at 15, 10, and 7 yards. I was clearly gripping to hard with my primary hand resulting in less than optimal hits and splits.

I finished up with the Rastoffs Challenge drill which I failed by throwing a round into the black. I had hoped to do some movement drills today but the range was flooded from all of the recent rain and snow so it seemed best to just stay in one spot.

Top Bottom