What do you miss? (for anyone not a lifelong Indiana resident)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    I'm also from Kettering/Dayton. Marion's pizza is my favorite. Miss how downtown Dayton used to be. Was an exciting vibrant city in the 60's-70's. Now it is a vacant lot warzone with no hope. It was nice growing up near the USAF museum and all the Wright brothers sites.

When the kids were small, wife and mother in law would shop all day, I would take the kids to the usaf museum

D.R.SCOTT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I still live in Indiana, but was stationed in CA for 8 years. I could have lived out there with family if I wanted, had a good job opportunity and everything. No way in hell.

I missed the more earnest lifestyle from home, and of course the laws pertaining to guns, property, and vehicles are much better here for the individual. Plus the seasons, Christmas lights on palm trees is as fake and akward as the majority of people I met out there. Most the people I met who I befriended were transplants that ended up in CA like I had.

I'd like to add my experience was with so cal. The Northern folks were much more agreeable.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I'm not originally from Indiana, but from north central Wisconsin. I miss the hills and woods, and there isn't anything in Indiana that compares. The birch, the pine and evergreen trees mixed in with the maple, oak, etc. I've been to southern Indiana, and it is very pretty, but the woods don't have the same feel. I also miss the snow in the winter. I enjoy winter, I enjoyed ice skating, and sledding.

As far as food, Rocky Rococo's Pizza. It is the sausage they put on it mostly, plus the cheese, and it is pan pizza. If I wasn't allergic to most fish, I would say Friday Fish Fry's, but that is mostly because family tends to get together for going out for those.
    My sister lives in Wisconsin. I could definitely move there. Love the fresh cheese curds ya get there and seeing that super rich black dirt

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The thread about Expat Hoosiers brought up the topic of "What do you miss from Indiana?" for those who have moved away.

I ask a similar question: For those who moved from elsewhere into Indiana, what do you miss about your former state or former area?

I lived in the Chicago suburbs for over 40 years before moving to southern Indiana in 2021.

What I miss from Chicagoland:
    I have several good friends, that I miss seeing frequently. (But that really has nothing to do with Chicagoland.)
    I miss Giordano's and Lou Malnati's Deep Dish Pizza. (I often drive over 3 hours round-trip to Indianapolis, which is the closest place with any good Chicago pizza.)
    I miss Turano bakery's French Rolls. (I never realized that French rolls were a Chicago thing and was shocked that no-one carries them here.)
    (Honorable mention to Portillo's and Jewel-Osco)

I have thus exhausted the list of everything I miss about Illinois and about the Chicago area.
    Well to go the other way, as a life long Hoosier I miss the days when all of you that miss things from your old home were not here.

Please take Lou Malnati’s, Giordano’s, and all the rest and go back…

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Lived in west Michigan as a kid. Woods in the backyard all the way down to the lake. Spring Lake, to be exact. Connected to the Big Lake in Grand Haven.
    Salmon fishing, both lake and streams.
    Rabbit hunting at my grandma's old farm.
    The sucker run every spring.
    Ice fishing.
    More deer and public land than you can imagine.
    Towering pines.
    Trout streams everywhere.
    Having my extended family around, but that turned out to be for the best.

I get to do some of these things as we have a cabin up by White Cloud, but I do miss the outdoors as a way of life rather than a visit

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Well to go the other way, as a life long Hoosier I miss the days when all of you that miss things from your old home were not here.

Please take Lou Malnati’s, Giordano’s, and all the rest and go back…
    Well, that is rude and uncalled for. I am happy to be in Indiana and could never go back to Illinois with their escalating attack on the 2nd amendment, including bans of most common firearms. I moved to Indiana primary because of politics. Illinois has got even worse in the last 2 years and will continue to slide down the political drain in the future.

But each region of our great nation has things that are great about that region and things that people miss. Even states who have been absolutely ruined by the leftists like Illinois, California, New York & Hawaii have great things about them. (Not so sure about New Jersey though. ;) ) It is no disrespect to your "new home" to still miss some things about your "old home"...

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Well, that is rude and uncalled for. I am happy to be in Indiana and could never go back to Illinois with their escalating attack on the 2nd amendment, including bans of most common firearms. I moved to Indiana primary because of politics. Illinois has got even worse in the last 2 years and will continue to slide down the political drain in the future.

True, I came about a year earlier in March of 2000 also from Illinois and would never go back. I have friends a from there also looking for a place to move to here in Indiana. Politics and knowing my conservative voting would never make any difference with the huge liberal block from Chicago and Cook county was a big part of the move. I welcome anyone who comes here and votes for the values that have made this a great state. Now as for those that come here to escape a liberal state and vote for what they left, a pox be on them. Jim.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

But each region of our great nation has things that are great about that region and things that people miss. Even states who have been absolutely ruined by the leftists like Illinois, California, New York & Hawaii have great things about them. (Not so sure about New Jersey though. ;) ) It is no disrespect to your "new home" to still miss some things about your "old home"...
    So it is “rude“ for me to want the good things about my home before those from screwed up states moved here? I am basically saying the same thing you are, you are pining for what you miss from your old home, yours in another state, mine in the same state…

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    The area surrounding our subdivision has EXPLODED with new home construction. In many instances they are just starting on the foundation with a sold sign up already. Seeing a lot of vehicles parked in the driveway with Illinois plates.

Old Road Dog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2022
    Gowdy
    Pork Roll/Taylor Ham (your description will show if your from Northern NJ or Southern NJ, 2 completely different states), Tuna subs from a little local shop, and WAWA, but WAWA is on the way to Indiana this year or next. Your gonna be blown away by WAWA.
    Other than that not a GD thing.......
    My wife asked if I thought about going back to visit friends or her family, I said "No but ask me again in 10 years"....

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    The thread about Expat Hoosiers brought up the topic of "What do you miss from Indiana?" for those who have moved away.

I ask a similar question: For those who moved from elsewhere into Indiana, what do you miss about your former state or former area?

I lived in the Chicago suburbs for over 40 years before moving to southern Indiana in 2021.

What I miss from Chicagoland:
    I have several good friends, that I miss seeing frequently. (But that really has nothing to do with Chicagoland.)
    I miss Giordano's and Lou Malnati's Deep Dish Pizza. (I often drive over 3 hours round-trip to Indianapolis, which is the closest place with any good Chicago pizza.)
    I miss Turano bakery's French Rolls. (I never realized that French rolls were a Chicago thing and was shocked that no-one carries them here.)
    (Honorable mention to Portillo's and Jewel-Osco)

I have thus exhausted the list of everything I miss about Illinois and about the Chicago area.
    Lobstah! Local history (think, “Cradle of Liberty”, ironically), the (ocean) beach, good bagels and summah vacations in the white mountains.

Mostly, I miss my family, but I can’t do the politics or the traffic…sorry, Mom.

Last edited:

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    I have lived a few other places: NC, AR, CA, WA

I miss fresh seafood, scuba diving, sailing, "real" snowboarding, a teriyaki shop in every town/suburb, elk hunting, not worrying about venomous spiders or snakes, bear hunting.

Even CA you could fish for free from a pier and I would often catch lobster. That's about all I miss from that state except the teriyaki and Mexican food, but those can be found in better states.

I can't think of a thing I miss from AR and plan to never set foot in that place again.

Top Bottom