What do you miss? (for anyone not a lifelong Indiana resident)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I lived on the north side of Columbus Ohio for a time several years ago.

- Missed breaded tenderloins.

- Bob and Tom- This is when it was just the four of them, and they were still funny.

- Fort Waynes Coney Island.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    and just like my wife, you're wrong.
    No he ain’t. See, there’s “American” pizza, and then there’s REAL pizza. My wife’s spent a few years in Italy, and we have yet to find a REAL pizza here. There’s a little bar near downtown Lafayette that has a side business pizza deal during the summer called Snugg’s Pizza that’s actually really good, but that’s the closest we’ve found. Phoenix had several legit Italian pizza joints , all run by legit Italian pizzaiolos. A true Italian pizza is a thing of beauty!

For me:

-MOUNTAINS! I’ve quickly grown to love Indiana, but holy eff is it flat here. I learned to fly in and around the San Tan’s back home. Here? It’s green, but it’s FLAT. Makes training students on simulated engine failures tricky because everywhere is a good spot to land lol.

-The smell of a desert rain. Nothing else compares.

-Family/friends. Both our families are back in AZ, and we both grew up there, so almost all our friends are there to.

-Public land. Man, drive outside the city limits a ways and you could shoot and hunt almost anywhere. Almost all the land out here is private, so finding shooting/hunting/camping spots is WAY more difficult (anybody near Lafayette need some vermin/pest control??).

-REAL pizza and gelato. There’s a place in NE Mesa run by an Italian family that all graduated from a “gelato university” and they made the most amazing gelato, truly life changing stuff. I don’t think I’ve even seen a gelato place in Indiana yet.

-Salad bars/buffets. Like, seriously, WTF y’all?! There are NO good salad joints here. I like fried foods as much as the next guy, but good freaking grief, where’s a guy gotta go for a healthy salad option??

-Good riding roads/freeways. I’m sure I just need to explore more, but finding GOOD routes to hit on the sportbike out here is rough. The roads are all too straight, too rough/filled with pot holes, have ridiculously low speed limits, or have hazards on them (cut grass, dirt, wild life). I just wanna open it up once in awhile and almost get my knee down sometimes lol.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    No he ain’t. See, there’s “American” pizza, and then there’s REAL pizza. My wife’s spent a few years in Italy, and we have yet to find a REAL pizza here. There’s a little bar near downtown Lafayette that has a side business pizza deal during the summer called Snugg’s Pizza that’s actually really good, but that’s the closest we’ve found. Phoenix had several legit Italian pizza joints , all run by legit Italian pizzaiolos. A true Italian pizza is a thing of beauty!

For me:

-MOUNTAINS! I’ve quickly grown to love Indiana, but holy eff is it flat here. I learned to fly in and around the San Tan’s back home. Here? It’s green, but it’s FLAT. Makes training students on simulated engine failures tricky because everywhere is a good spot to land lol.

-The smell of a desert rain. Nothing else compares.

-Family/friends. Both our families are back in AZ, and we both grew up there, so almost all our friends are there to.

-Public land. Man, drive outside the city limits a ways and you could shoot and hunt almost anywhere. Almost all the land out here is private, so finding shooting/hunting/camping spots is WAY more difficult (anybody near Lafayette need some vermin/pest control??).

-REAL pizza and gelato. There’s a place in NE Mesa run by an Italian family that all graduated from a “gelato university” and they made the most amazing gelato, truly life changing stuff. I don’t think I’ve even seen a gelato place in Indiana yet.

-Salad bars/buffets. Like, seriously, WTF y’all?! There are NO good salad joints here. I like fried foods as much as the next guy, but good freaking grief, where’s a guy gotta go for a healthy salad option??

-Good riding roads/freeways. I’m sure I just need to explore more, but finding GOOD routes to hit on the sportbike out here is rough. The roads are all too straight, too rough/filled with pot holes, have ridiculously low speed limits, or have hazards on them (cut grass, dirt, wild life). I just wanna open it up once in awhile and almost get my knee down sometimes lol.
    You need to go south of Indy. Lots of hills and hollers down there and decent roads.

As for pizza even the Italians can’t decide what itnis or what’s best…. But they all know greasy floppy cardboard ain’t it.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    For you transplants from Chicagoland... what, no love for Stan's Donuts?

I only occasionally visit Chicago (only when I have to, lol!) but Giodarno's and Stan's are a must when I/we do! Save up a couple dietary "cheat" days just for the occasion.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Don't understand this; nobody's eatin cardboard where I come from.
    That's all NY style pizza is. some acidic sauce smeared on cardboard covered with greasy cheese. You gotta fold it to even eat it. That's just weird.

*Wife is Jersey, north Jersey. she took me to her fave "pizza" joint in Ridgewood to explain pizza to me. I took her to Chicago a few years later to explain how wrong she was. I'm used to the mom/pops places that load on the meats and cheese growing up. That's the pizza I like.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I not really a fan of open faced sandwiches but that sauce sounds really good. Maybe there is some good food in Illinois after all.
    I've been wanting to try something called a "Hot Brown". Depending on the restaurant, it will either be turkey or turkey and ham on some kind of bread (roll or Texas toast, etc), covered with cheese sauce and bacon.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I'm not originally from Indiana, but from north central Wisconsin. I miss the hills and woods, and there isn't anything in Indiana that compares. The birch, the pine and evergreen trees mixed in with the maple, oak, etc. I've been to southern Indiana, and it is very pretty, but the woods don't have the same feel. I also miss the snow in the winter. I enjoy winter, I enjoyed ice skating, and sledding.

As far as food, Rocky Rococo's Pizza. It is the sausage they put on it mostly, plus the cheese, and it is pan pizza. If I wasn't allergic to most fish, I would say Friday Fish Fry's, but that is mostly because family tends to get together for going out for those.

xoregonian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Jay Co.
    Met my wife in the Army. She's from here. Originally from Oklahoma. Lived in St. Louis, Kansas City, and Oregon.
    In no particular order:

Darmstdat
    Having once a week beer deliveries to my quarters. (Stationed in Germany)
    Beer and wine fests and the food served there. Did I mention the beer?

St. Louis
    Baseball games at Busch stadium. Back in the day they had ball night, hat night, bat night (yes, kids got an actual baseball bat), fan appreciation night ( after the game you would get autographs for free, yes free)
    Lion's choice roast beef.

Oklahoma
    Coit's rootbeer stand. Dodson's cafeteria. +1 for Langston's and OTASCO (Oklahoma tire and supply) Granddad got me a few bicycles there. It was by Langston's. The oldtimers called the stockyards "Packin' Town". Good pecan pie. Grandfather had season tickets for the OU football games. It was the 70's I saw some stuff.

Oregon
    Going skiing every Friday in December and January and taking my dad's CJ-7 (5-speed, manual hubs, 2 doors and no figurines in the dash). River rafting (The inner tube and cooler kind of rafting). The mountains, the coast, the forest. I miss how it was when I grew up there, not how it is now.

When stationed in Texas, bbq and pecan pie. Wife mentioned Whataburger and as a bonus, Der Weinerscnitzel.
    When stationed in Maryland, seafood and Old Bay seasoning and Camden Yards.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Cheese head here, from a city on the Mississippi River.
    The bluffs in the fall with all the leaves turning colors.
    Octoberfest. Jasper is proud of their Strassenfest but it does not compare.

What I do not miss.
    Wisconsin winters.
    Crime rate going up as people move in from Chicago.

Top Bottom