• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I have a Marlin 1894 in 357 and am very happy with it but I have been looking at the 16 inch barreled Rossi 92 in 357 also. It feals lighter, and of course it is shorter, more compact. I know you can't put a scope on it in the traditional way but thats not a problem with my use. What do you guys who have one of these think of them ? Is it reliable, dependable, accurate ? What do you like and dislike about it ?

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    My 16" pre-Taurus Rossi M92 in .357/.38 Spl. is my favorite CF woods bumming and general "fun" longarm. It's very lightweight, handles beautifully and is quite pleasingly accurate with a pretty wide variety of loads.

Functioning is essentially 100% reliable so long as the mechanism is operated with a bit of "authority". The only loads which it just does not like are full WCs, no matter which cases they are in. Loaded singly, they're quite accurate but just will not cycle through the action with any consistency. My general purpose handloads of a 158 gr. SWC over 4.7 gr. of Unique in .357 cases works flawlessly and delivers consistent 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" 5-shot groups at 50 yds from the bench when I do my part correctly.

Much of this I attribute to having had a Lyman 66A receiver sight installed on it soon after I got it. Makes a huge difference for me compared to the stock open irons and well worth the modest cost of having two holes located, drilled and tapped.

Out of the box, the action was tight and a bit "gritty" feeling. A thorough cleaning, proper lubrication and a few hundred rds downrange (plus a a couple of hundred "dry" cycles) slicked things up considerably. It's just continued to improve with use and is now about as smooth-feeling as one could ask.

IMHO, it was quite a bargain (I paid about $260 for it, IIRC) and has given me great service and many hours of enjoyment.

runt6213

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    I have had the same experience as Claddagh above. Very nice little woods bumming gun. Accurate as hell, changing out the stock sights is a must. Get a good set of peep sights and the difference is almost instantaneous.
    I give it a steady diet of .357 mag158 gr. Jsp and .38 special125. Gr. Semi- jacketed hollow points. I haven't shot WC out of mine.

I love mine and would never get rid of it.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Rossi 92

I have had mine for over 10 years and no problems its a 45 LC
    Used it to shoot Cowboy Action Shooting a long time ago

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    We have three in our household, my son has one in 454 Casull, I have one in 357 magnum and another in 44 magnum, we really like them all. No problems at all.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I picked mine up last year before deer season in 44 Mag. So far its been nothing but wonderful. Good accuracy, action isnt bad, especially considering I paid about half what a Puma would have cost, and at least a few hundred less than a new Marlin. I went with the 20" barrel, didnt think the 16" was that much lighter, and the added sight radius is nice.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Sooo, then you guys have good luck with this little lever.... and I shouldn't have any reservations in adding one to my safe.... ? Anything besides the sights that need attention too ? Any parts you would recommend replacing or paying special attention to ? Thanks for the information so far, appreciate the vote of confidence in the Rossi lever...

rhinoabe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Jennings Co.
    I have a pre-Taurus Rossi M92 in .357 purchased used and is as smooth as silk.I also have a new model M92 .45Colt 20" Oct Bbl.
    It was a little stiff at first but after about 150 dry cycles it is smoothing up.
    I have a Henry in .22 .Now i need something in .44mag.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Paco Kelly's Leverguns.com • View topic - Rossi M92 Lever rifle - a fun gun in more ways than one.

RossiM92s-357Magtop45Coltbottom-1.jpg

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    I asked the same question on the forum a few months back. Ended up trading for a Rossi M92 in .44 Mag, Octagon 24" Barrel and it is a really nice rifle with a smooth action. Now I want a .45 Colt and 44-40. They are a quality built rifle that won't break the bank.

Cowboy 44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    i have one in .44mag it is compareable to a marlin in quality but is by no means a winchester. i deer hunt with mine

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Got the 16 inch barrel in .357 with big loop so I could play "Rifleman". Love it, shoots great and I am going to drill and tap the lever for the thumb screw soon. It simply has to be done.

Neal

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    North central Indiana
    Got the 16 inch barrel in .357 with big loop so I could play "Rifleman". Love it, shoots great and I am going to drill and tap the lever for the thumb screw soon. It simply has to be done.

Any chance one could spin-cock it like the Rifleman and shoot yourself in the armpit? I have always thought it would be fun to try that,(the spin-cock, not shooting myself in the armpit) but at 5'7", my arms are not nearly as long as Chuck Connors' arms, so I am not even going to try. Maybe a 16" barrel would make it easier.:n00b:

Speaking of the Rifleman, I wonder if he ever shot any live ammo through any of the Win 92's that he used for the show? Seems to me that using live ammo and putting that steel butt plate against his boney hip would add a new sensation to the shooting experience. :D

dsol, please post about it when you get the screw in the loop lever. I have a Rossi Puma .357, and I have heard there are ring loop levers available for it. :tumbleweed:

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I wouldnt try to spin cock it with the screw in, just so I wouldnt shoot myself in the armpit. I am 6 foot tall, not nearly as tall as Chuck Conners, that is why I had been looking for the 16 inch barrel version myself.

I grew up watching The Rifleman back in the 70's, and I finally got me something to customize and play with. Was a long time coming.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Little .44 mag trapper Rossi 92 above a traditional Winchester 94 30-30. It has been reliable though I've had <100 rounds through it. Accuracy is good though I've shot it at 100 yards or less. I do want to replace the silly safety with a peep sight.

My only complaint is about the design rather than the manufacturer: those darned lil points that probably fit the ergos in the late 1800s, absolutely suck on a 6'3", 225 lb man. They DIG into the meat of your shoulder.

IMG_9712.jpg

Top Bottom