• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOCOM242

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Picked up some new dog tags, a coyote camelbak system (only $15!), some elk jerky, and an ESSE-4 knife from Knife Lady's table.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    New stocks for my 686 from handgungrips.com
    Machete from Knife Lady
    2 boxes .38 special, $15.00 per box
    Some glassware from the Mr. Science guy

I looked around for an Airweight, found one with exposed hammer for $625, but didn't buy it. I guess they've been scarce for awhile.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    New stocks for my 686 from handgungrips.com
    Machete from Knife Lady
    2 boxes .38 special, $15.00 per box
    Some glassware from the Mr. Science guy

I looked around for an Airweight, found one with exposed hammer for $625, but didn't buy it. I guess they've been scarce for awhile.

ZX guns had J frames back at 399.00 instead of the ridiculous prices most places have been at.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    ZX guns had J frames back at 399.00 instead of the ridiculous prices most places have been at.

That's unfortunate for me. Might have been out by Sunday when I went, or I missed it, because I scoped out their tables. Their prices were very good from what I saw, and a great selection.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I picked up a Rock River Arms Tactical Operator. I was kind of torn between that and similarly spec'ed Stag Arms. I went with the RR in the end because I got a better deal. I paid about $1100 after taxes, which from what I can see online, seems pretty much in line with about as low as they get (hell, I found a Slick Guns deal from 2011 for an Operator for $970, so I think it was a pretty good ballpark).

Interestingly enough, I found the same rifle for $999 at table near the left rear. The dealer was out of Louisville, so they said they would have to ship it to my dealer (adding a transfer fee). It still might have been cheaper, but honestly the attitude of the dealer killed it for me.

I asked one of the guys at the table how the RR shot with steel cased ammo (which had been my primary question to pretty much every dealer I talked to... turns out none of them really know, for any of their guns, which I find pretty ridiculous, but that's a side point). Anyway, the guy I was talking to floundered a bit and went to get his boss. The boss came over and I asked the same question. He said, "Well, it will probably work, but the problem is the lacquer coating the rounds can stick in the chamber".

Now, this is one of my big pet peeves, because this is patently false. Not only is it false, it is mostly irrelevant, since the vast majority of the steel cased ammo manufacturers switched to a polymer coating like a decade ago (I think Brown Bear is still lacquered, but Wolf and TulAmmo have switched on most of their stuff). But beside that, steel doesn't expand as well, letting more carbon build up, which can cause a case to stick in a tight (read not actually 5.56) chamber. They are also generally lower powered, so if the gas system is touchy.

Anyway, so I said, "Well, it's not really the lacquer....", which is as far as I got when he said, "Whatever" and turned his back and walked away. So, not only does he have no idea what he is talking about, he is also rude.

My response? **** that guy. I took my business elsewhere and dropped over a $1000 with someone else, who was not only polite and helpful, but also was a heck of a lot more knowledgeable. It maybe have cost me $50 more, but it was worth it not to deal with that jackass.

I wish I remembered the name of the company that the jackass worked for, so I could share it. The company that I chose to do business with was ACME Sports in Seymour. They even told me if I had any issues to just call them and they would work with me to get it fixed. That's the kind of customer service that leads to repeat business.

So, a message to all the FFLs out there, I know you get tired of all the tire kickers, but you run the risk of driving customers away if you insist on letting your ego get in the way, especially at a venue like the 1500. If they are in your shop, maybe they'll stay because their desire to get whatever outweighs their annoyance with your attitude. But if a customer can just walk 50 feet and find a competitor, it would behoove you to try to provide a little bit of actual customer service to get the sale.

TrentS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Speedway
    Picked up 500 loose rounds of 762x39 in a plastic ammo case for $150. I thought it wasn't a bad deal and I wanted some bulk to run through a MAK-90 I picked up recently. I wanted some bulk 556 but NO WAY was I paying those nose bleed prices.

MordecuS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Mooresville
    I was finally able to find some PPK magazines. The only ones available for sometime have been the PPK/S, which led me to believe that the PPKs were actually made out of Unicorn horn. Thankfully one booth had a couple.

maddogmech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    My son and I went to the show on fri eve. Pick up 1000 45 bullets for reloading and a box of 38 S&W's and a couple of mags for my anschutz 22 mag. Over all a better show that the last couple.

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    went Sunday and got everything I was looking for. 1k .40cal bullets some .224 bullets. and a camo hat for my son. It was a nice day to be out.

bradw266

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I bought a Walther P22 for my wife. Found a pretty good deal compared to my LGS. She wants to go out and shoot with me. How can I turn that down?

shootamc58

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    noblesville
    I bought three knives from brad. Great deal. One of the three was my son's first pocket knife. He really took his time in deciding and was so proud when we got home. Spent about 2 hours going over safety with him. It was a great deal and a great experience getting to do it with my son.

JoeWop

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Westfield
    XD 9 and Ruger SR22

I picked up a XD9 4" and a Ruger SR22, as well as a couple extra mags for the XD and some Gen 2 Magpul with windows for my DPMS...great buys

Top Bottom