What chains are better for hanging steel targets?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've got some steel targets on my range but the chains break as soon as a link vets knicked. Is there a particular type of chain that better than the others?

Redacted

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Westville
    I heard that using old firehouse or steel wire works well. I've also heard of people using leather straps which can take a few more shots and are easy to replace. Or, you can just take a piece of angle iron and weld the plate to it and have a fixed swinging target and be done with it.

forklfteddie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    IMBED TARGET INTO THE BACK STOP AND THROW A SHOVEL OF DIRT IN BACK AND ALONG SIDES THEN YOU DO NOT NEED TO WORRY ABOUT RUN AWAYS. I THINK THAT WOULD BOTHER ME MORE ABOUT HITTING CHAIN AND NOT KNOWING WHERE IT WENT. MAYBE IT WILL HIT YOUR EAR MUFFS THEN YOU'LD KNOW WHERE IT WENT.USING A CHAIN IS ALWAYS DANGEROUS ROUND ANYTHING IS AN ACCIDENT WAITTING TO HAPPEN. SHOOT ANY TYPE OF ROUND OVER 3500 + AND YOU HAD BETTER KNOW WHERE IT IS AT ALL TIMES, HECK EVEN A 22L HAS BEEN KNOWN TO HIT A ROCK OR WATER AND TRAVEL WELL OVER A HALF A MILE TUMBLING....

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    IMBED TARGET INTO THE BACK STOP AND THROW A SHOVEL OF DIRT IN BACK AND ALONG SIDES THEN YOU DO NOT NEED TO WORRY ABOUT RUN AWAYS. I THINK THAT WOULD BOTHER ME MORE ABOUT HITTING CHAIN AND NOT KNOWING WHERE IT WENT. MAYBE IT WILL HIT YOUR EAR MUFFS THEN YOU'LD KNOW WHERE IT WENT.USING A CHAIN IS ALWAYS DANGEROUS ROUND ANYTHING IS AN ACCIDENT WAITTING TO HAPPEN. SHOOT ANY TYPE OF ROUND OVER 3500 + AND YOU HAD BETTER KNOW WHERE IT IS AT ALL TIMES, HECK EVEN A 22L HAS BEEN KNOWN TO HIT A ROCK OR WATER AND TRAVEL WELL OVER A HALF A MILE TUMBLING....

Why are you yelling?

Cool Breeze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    Fort Fun
    Para-cord may be another option- good for a lot of weight, strong and much smaller diameter so less chance of getting hit. in the event it does, very easy and quick to repair.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I heard that using old firehouse or steel wire works well. I've also heard of people using leather straps which can take a few more shots and are easy to replace. Or, you can just take a piece of angle iron and weld the plate to it and have a fixed swinging target and be done with it.

Angle will not stand up to the steady beating either.

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    Para cord will work for about 5 shots.

You need something durable and chain fits the bill.

I used cheap 5/16 stuff from home depot with stainless hooks on either end.

I started with links of the same make but the bullet fragments cut through in no time.

I put stainless hooks on this go around and they are holding up great.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Para-cord may be another option- good for a lot of weight, strong and much smaller diameter so less chance of getting hit. in the event it does, very easy and quick to repair.

Lol, I tried paracord once in a pinch and the splatter sheared it in one shot.

If you attach the plate correctly, the chain doesn't have to be all that heavy duty. Run hardened carriage bolts throughout the holes and attach the chain to the rear of the plate with a nut. The plate swings rearward when hit and the splatter is directed downward.

(Not mine, but you get the idea)

60085_01_ar500_steel_targets_640.jpg

Last edited:

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    One other advantage to using carriage bolts, if you get longer ones you can use washers to space the chain away from the plate. Just a few between the plate and chain will have the target tilted down a few degrees to help assure splatter gets directed down.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    If you can find some, rubber conveyer belting cut into 3" wide strips works great. It will take a lot of direct hits before it will tear in half.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've been using stainless carriage bolts and they don't do well with a direct hit. Maybe its because I have to use a smaller bolt due to the hole size. I always run the chains to the rear so the splatter how's downward.

jotto

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    NW Indiana
    Our steel gongs get a lot of use on our range. Thusly the mounting system gets hit a lot. What we've found that works best and lasts the longest is strips cut from old tires. They will take a few direct hits before failing and are easy to replace. My range picks up old tires from local businesses when needed for free.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    If you are planning on shooting the chains a lot, I would go with the cheapest chain that holds the target up, and keep plenty on hand to replace as needed. Anything that you are shooting at will need a bit of maintenance from time to time. Hanging from carriage bolts to tilt the plate at a slight angle to direct splatter down is the best way (besides not shooting the chain) to help ensure longer hardware life.

d30carls

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Cicero, IN
    old seat belts work well they can take several shots without breaking and are available at any local junk yard for a whole lot of nothing

Top Bottom