• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I have hunted black bear in Maine four times and have taken three bears. I would consider a .357 Mag loaded with a heavy bullet to be my minimum suggestion for black bear. I would feel confident carrying my S&W 681 loaded with either Garrett or Buffalo Bore ammo.
    East of the Mississippi...I'm comfortable with a 180 grain cast load, in .357 magnum, from Buffalo Bore as it would be sufficient, as would 10mm, .44 magnum, and .45 Colt +P, or .454 Casull!
    West of the Mississippi...I'd stick with the .44 magnum, a 10mm, or .454 Casull!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I remember that video of a black bear pursuing the guy through the woods. They said it was a hungry bear and wanted to eat the guy.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    9mm.

No reason for anything more.

Generally - black bears are human sized. BIG boars are like BIG humans. Sure - they're around. But averages are averages for a reason. Black bear are also not super thick skinned animals.

Most importantly is if you can hit your target.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    9mm.

No reason for anything more.

Generally - black bears are human sized. BIG boars are like BIG humans. Sure - they're around. But averages are averages for a reason. Black bear are also not super thick skinned animals.

Most importantly is if you can hit your target.
    I wasn’t even thinking about boars. I have never been around them either. Guess I have a good reason to buy a 10mm.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    I know this is very open ended question. I am going to Tennessee to look at a remote piece of property. Which got me thinking. What would others carry for personal protection and black bears. I have read articles of people killing them(humans and bears) with 22 LR up to a 300 ultra mag. What pistol caliber would you personally carry if you were going tent camping and hiking?
    After all of the replies I’m left wondering if I misunderstood. Are you looking at property to buy or going bear hunting?

I guess I don’t understand the implied “what if”..

My crop insurance adjusters don’t come armed with the fashionable flavor of the day to inspect fields where bears, turkeys, small game of any description, waterfowl, whitetail and if you buy the rumors, cougar are reported. Believe me if one showed up with some kind of cannon he would be asked to go back to the office and send someone less fashionable. I suppose that if you are a hammer, every problem is a nail.

Are simple carry guns changed based on grocery shopping verses going to Lowe’s or mushroom hunting?

Flame on……..

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Correct but that comment made me think of hogs also. I had not even thought about that.
    Much like TF's comments on bear, hogs are also human sized and not particularly tough. People tend to exaggerate the toughness of potentially dangerous wild animals. Animal attack stats indicate that speed and accuracy are far more important than heavy artillery when dealing with aggressive animals.

redgreenrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Decatur county
    I agree with the 10mm. I carry an XDm 10mm when hiking in TN or KY. But like others have said, they're not too aggressive so wear a bear bell to let them know you're around and they should vacate the area from the nice jingling sound alone. Just don't pet the cubs.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Much like TF's comments on bear, hogs are also human sized and not particularly tough. People tend to exaggerate the toughness of potentially dangerous wild animals. Animal attack stats indicate that speed and accuracy are far more important than heavy artillery when dealing with aggressive animals.
    I dont consider a 10mm heavy artillery.

Trevelayan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Putnam Co.
    I would use 9mm with Underwood or Buffalo Bore hardcast, black bears can be intimidating but 99% of the time they'll leave you alone and or/wander off if you don't antagonize them. Much like 2 legged predators I'd prioritize capacity

rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    I've camped a lot in black bear country. They aren't anything to worry about. So carry whatever you carry for two legged problem creatures.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom