• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    Looking to purchase a bolt action rifle and was wanting to get some ideas on calibers...and most importantly which ones could be used if the DNR implements deer caliber changes for rifles. I was thinking .308, and I know this would be kinda overkill for coyotes, but I'm partial to this caliber from past experience....and I wouldn't be saving the pelts anyway. I know a lot of guys use .223 ar styled rifles, but Ive always wanted a Rem 700, and am now primarily stuck on which do all caliber to purchase....

Rifle would be used primarily for varmint hunting and long distance range plinking. However, I don't want to have to replace the rifle down the road if I get into deer hunting.
    So, am leaning towards .308, but would like to hear any other suggestions on calibers and the pros/cons.

This is not a thread about bolt action vs semiauto...fyi.

Any helpful suggestions?

Tobryan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Lafayette
    308 makes a heckuva hole in a varmint. If you don't care about fur salvage, have at it. Great, readily available round. .243 might be as good all-around as you can find for both quarry. Bullet ranges are good for varmint up to deer (standards are 80gr & 100gr). Something to ponder anyway.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    Most of my rifle experience has been with .243. I have found it does fine on deer, and is a fine varmint round also. I will likely use my old Savage 110 in this caliber for future deer hunts if the current proposal passes.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    .243............ to.............. .280

Depends on what your main focus is.
    Deer first, varmints second........start on the right.
    Varmints first, deer second, start on the left.

I've run .243's for chuck and yotes for decades.

Buddies ran .25-06 for deer (whitetail and mulies) and pronghorn.

Even .30 cals work, if you handload, on varmints.

Blasting varmints is fun. Being able to spot the hit is more fun. Boomers ruin that.

Hell if they go 6mm minimum I'll probably go lower power than .243 Win.
    Think a 6mm TCU would be fun ( and ideal on yotes).

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    308 makes a heckuva hole in a varmint.

That it does. I smacked a coyote with one last year and could have put my fist into the exit without touching the sides. No heart left whatsoever but it still managed to get up and make it about ten yards and took several minutes to die. Tough critters.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    .243 or .260. I bought my .260 a couple of months ago but haven't had a chance to put it through the set up stages.
    I have a .243 Winchester 70 that's my most accurate rifle. (handloaded cheat). I don't have to worry much about elevation allowance to a reasonable distance.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    That it does. I smacked a coyote with one last year and could have put my fist into the exit without touching the sides. No heart left whatsoever but it still managed to get up and make it about ten yards and took several minutes to die. Tough critters.

I heart shot one with a lowly .357 pistol and it ran 20 yards and fell over, didn't even wring its tail.

Hit them with .223 and .243 varmint loads............boom flop. Maybe a kick or tail wiggle. But down and out in seconds. Not minutes.

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I been hearing some good things about the Sharps .25-45 and is a good round for what you are looking for in hunting varmint up to even deer. There are a few videos on youtube about this round and the converstion kit which works with any 223/5.56 AR.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I heart shot one with a lowly .357 pistol and it ran 20 yards and fell over, didn't even wring its tail.

Hit them with .223 and .243 varmint loads............boom flop. Maybe a kick or tail wiggle. But down and out in seconds. Not minutes.

I hit him with a 168gr Sierra Matchking, didn't have a varmint round available so he got what I had on hand.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I hit him with a 168gr Sierra Matchking, didn't have a varmint round available so he got what I had on hand.

I'm sorry, for your convenience an animal should needlessly suffer?
    It's pretty much common knowledge why we use varmint bullets........on varmints.

If it really took minutes then you should have had enough shame to not post it, or post some excuse.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I think i'm missing something here. I don't see any varmint suffering from being hit with a 168 matchKing which i assume is a .308 bullet. Any coyote shot with said bullet in the proper place is gonna be dead real soon.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm sorry, for your convenience an animal should needlessly suffer?
    It's pretty much common knowledge why we use varmint bullets........on varmints.

If it really took minutes then you should have had enough shame to not post it, or post some excuse.

Excuse me Mr Holier Than Thou. I guess every deer you've ever shot dropped dead in it's tracks, eh? No? You heartless, cruel man. Shame on you.

It's a coyote. I'll shoot them with whatever I have on hand every time I get an opportunity just as the law says I can and don't owe you or anyone else an apology for it. I've been around a minute or two and fired just a couple of rounds out of rifles and I shoot what flies accurately and consistently out of my rifle. Some might say that's the most ethical way to go about it but apparently not everyone.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    You flubbed it and don't have the decency to admit it.
    Holier than thou? Everybody knows that right below the Pope are the cops.

Varmint hunting, yeah it's a completely new sport.
    Sierra makes these things called varmint bullets.........because they're silly like that.

Your sniper hat sucks as a hunting cap. Change it, or stay on the streets and out of the sticks.

IMHO your rebuttal post is glaring proof of the BS in the INGO and other gun culture where everybody with a .308 thinks they're a fur taker.

It aint all about accuracy, it's what is accurate with the proper bullet. This is hunting, not benchrest.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I think i'm missing something here. I don't see any varmint suffering from being hit with a 168 matchKing which i assume is a .308 bullet. Any coyote shot with said bullet in the proper place is gonna be dead real soon.

He said it took MINUTES to die. A coyote may be just the lowest of varmints to some, but it's still an animal. I think all are deserving of humane exit. Sure sh*t happens from time to time, that's why one uses proper gear. It reduces the effects or errors/variables.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Excuse me Mr Holier Than Thou. I guess every deer you've ever shot dropped dead in it's tracks, eh? No? You heartless, cruel man. Shame on you.

It's a coyote. I'll shoot them with whatever I have on hand every time I get an opportunity just as the law says I can and don't owe you or anyone else an apology for it. I've been around a minute or two and fired just a couple of rounds out of rifles and I shoot what flies accurately and consistently out of my rifle. Some might say that's the most ethical way to go about it but apparently not everyone.

Did you even try varmint bullets/loads?

Does .1 or .2" difference in group size matter on a coyote that's within 300 yards?

Most ethical way about it? Your MINUTES to die proves you were sadly mistaken. Yet you still won't admit it.

What an ass.

Top Bottom