• Status
    Not open for further replies.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington

I love these guys. Almost everything they've done has been great. I was glad to see they paid homage to this classic song. As a lifelong warrior, this has been a favorite of mine since it came out. I still find it lacking without Mark's ethereal guitar in there, but given that omission, it's as good as anyone else will ever do it.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Richie Kotzen is a fantastic guitar player and singer. At times his vocals remind me of Chris Cornell.

Here's a good Richie primer...

Yeah I figured that was him on the vocals for Some People specifically. I remember Adrian did vocals on one of the B side Maiden songs and I didn't remember him sounding like that.

mbkintner

Up the Irons
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Behind You
    Yeah I figured that was him on the vocals for Some People specifically. I remember Adrian did vocals on one of the B side Maiden songs and I didn't remember him sounding like that.

He also played guitar for Poison on the Native Tongue album when CC Deville was out of the band. After that he replaced Paul Gilbert in Mr Big for awhile. He also records with Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater) and Billy Sheehan (Mr Big) in the band Winery Dogs. My preference is his solo material but Winery Dogs is pretty good too.

And as you could probably guess from my avatar...I'm well versed on Adrian Smith. :-)

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana

I had always suspected what this song was about and what the last line meant ("Then I lit a fire, isn't it good, Norwegian wood"), but Paul confirmed it.

The Beatles’ song was about an extra-marital relationship Lennon was having at the time. His friend Pete Shotton later suggested that the woman in question was a journalist – possibly Maureen Cleave, a close friend to Lennon.

‘Norwegian Wood’ is my song completely. It was about an affair I was having. I was very careful and paranoid because I didn’t want my wife, Cyn, to know that there really was something going on outside of the household. I’d always had some kind of affairs going, so I was trying to be sophisticated in writing about an affair, but in such a smoke-screen way that you couldn’t tell. But I can’t remember any specific woman it had to do with.
    John Lennon
    All We Are Saying, David Sheff
    Although begun in Switzerland, ‘Norwegian Wood’ was completed as a collaboration between Lennon and Paul McCartney. Talking to Rolling Stone in 1970, Lennon attributed the middle section to McCartney, although in a 1980 interview with Playboy he called it “my song completely”.

I came in and he had this first stanza, which was brilliant: ‘I once had a girl, or should I say, she once had me.’ That was all he had, no title, no nothing. I said, ‘Oh yes, well, ha, we’re there.’ And it wrote itself. Once you’ve got the great idea, they do tend to write themselves, providing you know how to write songs. So I picked it up at the second verse, it’s a story. It’s him trying to pull a bird, it was about an affair. John told Playboy that he hadn’t the faintest idea where the title came from but I do. Peter Asher had his room done out in wood, a lot of people were decorating their places in wood. Norwegian wood. It was pine really, cheap pine. But it’s not as good a title, ‘Cheap Pine’, baby…

So she makes him sleep in the bath and then finally in the last verse I had this idea to set the Norwegian wood on fire as revenge, so we did it very tongue in cheek. She led him on, then said, ‘You’d better sleep in the bath’. In our world the guy had to have some sort of revenge. It could have meant I lit a fire to keep myself warm, and wasn’t the decor of her house wonderful? But it didn’t, it meant I burned the f***ing place down as an act of revenge, and then we left it there and went into the instrumental.
    Paul McCartney
    Many Years From Now, Barry Miles

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom