What are people likely to do with their AR pistols after Augusts rule change?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kobra

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    If I had a braced AR pistol and did register it within the amnesty period to make it an SBR, could I put a standard six position stock on it afterwards? I don't have one, asking for a friend.

Last edited:

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    You could if you wanted to. I don't know why you wouldn't, at that point. Another question...after the amnesty period, will barrels <16" be regulated?

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    You could if you wanted to. I don't know why you wouldn't, at that point. Another question...after the amnesty period, will barrels <16" be regulated?
    I don't think there's any way for them to do that right now

Until they change the interpretation of the frame and receiver rule and ask for serialization on all parts - which they'll definitely try to do.

I'll ask at the office since I'm the ATF for making this thread and asking a question though for clarification.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I don't think there's any way for them to do that right now

Until they change the interpretation of the frame and receiver rule and ask for serialization on all parts - which they'll definitely try to do.

I'll ask at the office since I'm the ATF for making this thread and asking a question though for clarification.
    If you haven't been accused of being a fed at least once on INGO you're doing it wrong.

Except for @BigRed. I don't think he's ever been accused of being a fed. :)

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    frustrated sherlock holmes GIF (GIF Image)

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    If you haven't been accused of being a fed at least once on INGO you're doing it wrong.

Except for @BigRed. I don't think he's ever been accused of being a fed. :)

I didn't make the cut.... I could not keep steady enough for the drill simulating shooting a mother through a door, killing her while she held her baby.

That's fine though... I knew It wasn't my cup of tea when I did not pass that drill on how to burn women and children in their compound.

We can't all be winners.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I didn't make the cut.... I could not keep steady enough for the drill simulating shooting a mother through a door, killing her while she held her baby.

That's fine though... I knew It wasn't my cup of tea when I did not pass that drill on how to burn women and children in their compound.

We can't all be winners.
    I got hung up before we even got to the human shooting drills.

I flunked out at the dog shooting part.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    School me on this. I’ve been through this thread and might have missed it-Are braces illegal at this point in time?

Others have described to you what's going on with this, but the crazy thing is that there's still, at this moment, 1400 CMMG Banshee braced pistols for sale on GB. And that's just one brand.

Of course, I'd be hesitant to buy one right this moment - I'm thinking you'd be first on the list when ATF begins their "inquiries".

Shame too, as there's a couple calibers I'd like to have in that format.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Others have described to you what's going on with this, but the crazy thing is that there's still, at this moment, 1400 CMMG Banshee braced pistols for sale on GB. And that's just one brand.

Of course, I'd be hesitant to buy one right this moment - I'm thinking you'd be first on the list when ATF begins their "inquiries".

Didn’t think about that when I listed my CZ

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy

That's exactly how I feel.

I want several SO bad but - and of the SBR tax is waived it kind of sounds like a good deal for at least one or two pistols but the hassle and headache of the interstate travel BS + limiting factor on the resale of said firearms is really off putting.

I see quite a few people on other forums being excited for the slim chance at the $200 being waived also but the reality hasn't set in I don't think.

Even if the fee is waived and 20,000,000 people take them up on it - the feds are basically eliminating 20M gun owners ability to move freely not just now, but they're also getting the ban they want for all future pistols unless you just want to run a receiver extension.

I really wonder if there will be a sympathetic judge willing to do the right thing for the people that use the braces for their original intent who have no use for the SBR benefit of having a stock.

What about the actual, honest to God real disabled veteran who uses a pistol braced AR to hunt, or just shoot, who lives right on a state border and goes across regularly? Are they going to even be able to use their brace or will they have to use a stock? The judge should see that this is an actually extremely unfair ruling to those people, especially if they have to pay the $200 fee.

Throw in the little cards that are included in most pistol brace boxes and with already made pistols talking about how that brace was approved BY the ATF already and I really think there is a quality case to be had and thrown out in our favor.

Top Bottom