Watch your insurance rates skyrocket with this...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Maybe I'm missing their point, but, my insurance company already knows - that's how they insure my collection.

I believe their point would be to have you carry liability insurance against the possible use or misuse of a legally owned firearm by covered individuals

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Why? :dunno:

Are you admitting that houses with guns are more dangerous, or are you implying that insurance companies will ignore actuarial data because they think they can get away with charging gun owners more with no actual basis for this?

I believe the idea behind the law is another tangential approach to discouraging/diminishing 2A rights. I believe insurance companies would get on board because there would be little downside for them and a ma$$ive up$ide. I believe it would then be used to further the gun control agenda by attempting to revoke your 2A rights in the event you lose/cannot get said liability insurance

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Eddie Cutler, president of Gun Owners of Vermont, has concerns about the bill’s short form.

“It’s in short form which means that it goes into committee and they can write anything they want,” he said. “There’s no language, there’s nothing technical, there’s not anything. They can sit there in committee and say ‘Well, now we have to have liability insurance or some kind of a locking system.’ We just don’t know.”

Cutler said a bill normally would go through legislative council first. This is when a legislator goes to a team of lawyers at the Statehouse and explains what is needed so the bill gets written with the best possible legal framework.
    “They didn’t even do that,” Cutler said.
    If the bill were to include a requirement for liability insurance, Vermont won’t be the first state to have such a proposition. New York State Assemblyman Felix Ortiz, D-Brooklyn, proposed last year to require $250,000 liability insurance for gun owners. At the federal level, U.S. Rep. Carolyn Maloney, D-N.Y., introduced legislation last June to require gun owners to have liability insurance.

Bob DePino, vice president of Gun Owners of Vermont, doesn’t like the notion of gun owners paying for what he says [STRIKE]should be[/STRIKE] is a right. [Edit by me]

“You will now have to pay insurance to exercise your constitutional rights. That’s kind of like a poll tax,” DePino said. “If they can’t ban the guns and they can’t ban the ammunition, then they are going to make it so hard, so expensive, so tedious and time consuming to own a gun that people are just going to give up the guns.”

Stevens explained why the bill is in short form.
    “Sometimes we file such short forms to put an idea into conversation,” he said. “They rarely become law, or discussed beyond an introduction. If they are taken up for further consideration, it will be up to the committee of jurisdiction to move it along and determine the details.”

"“Anyone who says or thinks that this is not a backdoor registration scheme is either lying or deluded,” Eddie Garcia, founder of the Vermont Citizens Defense League, told Vermont Watchdog.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Mine doesn't:D I am with one of the few companies that doesn't have a special limit of liability on firearms.

That's interesting, what insurance company would that be please.
    And are they aware of what firearms you own ? And are pictures of condition, appraisals and serial numbers in your insurance company's files ??

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Read that response from the G.O. of VT, I also read the bill. Short form is true - seems like "a shot across the bow", that is to say a bill that everyone knows will die, but the rep can place a feather in his hat to show off to his liberal supporters.

Meh.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It would be horrible if it became like auto insurance. One more stricture that law abiding citizens have to obey but criminals don't. Get tired of jumping through hoops when I'm not even in the circus

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    That's interesting, what insurance company would that be please.
    And are they aware of what firearms you own ? And are pictures of condition, appraisals and serial numbers in your insurance company's files ??

SafeCo Insurance. They are a Liberty Mutual company. No, they are not aware of any of my firearms and nothing about them is in my file. Now, if one wanted to schedule each firearm, those items would be required.

Top Bottom