• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Went morel hunting yesterday. Sprayed down with Deep Woods Off by the OG before we went out. Showered and checked for "friends" when we got home.

Woke up at 2am this morning to a Lone Star crawling across my temple (I am a side sleeper). Didn't get much more sleep after that.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central

I prefer tweezers but I've used both of the other here as well.

I've never tried peppermint oil.

I suggest you get more than one method ready and do not bother the tick until you are PREPARED to grab it and remove it quickly lest you cause it to regurgitate in to your skin and you'll have a giant itchy sore spot for a freaking month after.

Be prepared. When you act, act quickly and decisively. I don't suggest you aggravate it first with oil, matches or nail polish.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    Just bought two, thanks!

No ticks so far this year, both dogs take NexGard and we've been spraying ourselves with Wondercide (@INP8riot link).

Last year we had a few, but they were all tiny and barely visible.
    Any of the pet treatments don't prevent ticks from actually biting dogs. When the tick sucks the blood, it then dies so it can't detach in your house and then breed in there. That Wondercide (if sprayed on before they go outdoors) prevents ticks from even attaching to them.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A credit card or store card and a pair of scissors will get you the same thing for free. Yes, I have one in my wallet. Used it once. Performs as advertised. Still prefer fingernails or tweezers. Permethrin is best of all and cheaper than anything else. To tell the truth it has probably been a couple years since I had a tick that needed pulled "off".

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    A friend of mine contracted “Alpha-Gal Syndrome” from a tick bite. He is now allergic to PROCESSED red meat, however, he can eat ALL wild game, up to and including deer with no problems.

logguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    I talked to the DNR bug lady a couple years ago, she said dogs & cats can get ticks 12 months a year. The ticks live on mice & voles under the snow, dog sticks his nose in mouse nest , Wala, tick on his nose.
    I have personally removed ticks from dogs 10 months a year. the Britt is now living with kidney damage from Lyme .

I have removed several from me & the dogs, this spring in Goshen

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have pulled them off of the dogs already(all treated as well).

I am going to treat the yard again after the snow.
    I use diatomaceous earth on my animals.
    A light dusting will keep fleas and ticks off. Or if they get on it kills them within a few hours. The larvae and eggs if they have any will continue to grow, but will die off like the adults that laid the eggs.
    So in a few days your animals will be flea free. If they get wet you'll need to reapply it when they are dry.
    If you have house pets, and your house gets fleas just use a light dusting and let it sit for a few days then vacuum/clean up. You may need to do that several times to kill off and that have hatched from eggs or grown from larvae. But it's effective and safe.
    Also use in your barn, etc it works fantastic.
    Just remember light dusting is all that's needed. A little goes a long, long way.

Edit: added link
    Earthborn Elements Diatomaceous Earth (1 Gallon), Resealable Bucket, Pure Freshwater Amorphous Silica https://a.co/d/97Rko41

Last edited:

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    A light dusting will keep fleas and ticks off. Or if they get on it kills them within a few hours. The larvae and eggs if they have any will continue to grow, but will die off like the adults that laid the eggs.
    So in a few days your animals will be flea free. If they get wet you'll need to reapply it when they are dry.
    If you have house pets, and your house gets fleas just use a light dusting and let it sit for a few days then vacuum/clean up. You may need to do that several times to kill off and that have hatched from eggs or grown from larvae. But it's effective and safe.
    Just remember light dusting is all that's needed. A little goes a long, long way.

Earthborn Elements Diatomaceous Earth (1 Gallon), Resealable Bucket, Pure Freshwater Amorphous Silica https://a.co/d/97Rko41

I think Rural King carries it in large bags pretty cheap

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Still prefer fingernails or tweezers.
    Use gloves if not using tweezers or tick remover.

"Purchase latex gloves, if you do not already have them. Touching a tick with your hands can expose you to tick-borne disease, so you will need to protect your hands with gloves when you remove the tick.[1] If you have a latex allergy, you can use nitrile gloves."

Tradesylver

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2024
    Brown County
    My wife removed a tick from me last night, took a picture before and after and will be keeping an eye on it over the next few days. Put the tick in small pill plastic bag and made a note on the calendar when it happened. It was the itching that tipped me off that something wasn't right and it still itches.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central

If you research the life cycle of a flea it is terrifying! The eggs can lay dormant for a very long time until they sense movement (host). My pup had fleas when we got him and didn't see them until he was already in the house. That was 10 months ago and I'm still vacuuming DE out of the corners of the house! My my wife went nuts with the DE. We never did see any on the floors, but she was extra cautious.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Use gloves if not using tweezers or tick remover.

"Purchase latex gloves, if you do not already have them. Touching a tick with your hands can expose you to tick-borne disease, so you will need to protect your hands with gloves when you remove the tick.[1] If you have a latex allergy, you can use nitrile gloves."
    ba humbug, its a tick not kryptonite.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I get the occasional tick bite, but permethrin and a lifetime of work in the industrial chemical business I think has made me unappetizing for anything except desperate ticks. ;)
    Some people definitely seem to be preferred to others when it comes to ticks. I've felt and picked dozens off of me over the years but I've only ever had two actually dig in.

Top Bottom