• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    Mods, feel free to move this thread (wasn't sure where it should go).

I'm curious to see what our members think of this:

Here's my main issue with Sportsman's Guide: Their "order status" page on their web-site is highly insecure. It's BS if you ask me and why I won't shop there anymore. All you have to do is enter a last name and a zip code and it will give you the order history of those people (what they bought, when they bought it, scheduled delivery date and the person's address). That's pretty scary. If the bad guys were smart, they could use this to find out when stuff was going to be delivered and be waiting on the porch to sign off on it. Or, they know who owns a lot of ammo or different firearms. Maybe I'm paranoid, but this is scary to me. I tried some "Johnsons" and "Smiths" with the surrounding zip codes and found a lot of orders.

Try is for yourself:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/OrderStatus/OrderDisplayNew.aspx

They have received numerous complaints about this and have decided not to change it because a lot of people like how easy it is to look up their order status. Security does get in the way of "easy", but security is far more important IMHO. They should at least make you enter your order number (something that only you should have). :noway:

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Mods, feel free to move this thread (wasn't sure where it should go).

I'm curious to see what our members think of this:

Here's my main issue with Sportsman's Guide: Their "order status" page on their web-site is highly insecure. It's BS if you ask me and why I won't shop there anymore. All you have to do is enter a last name and a zip code and it will give you the order history of those people (what they bought, when they bought it, scheduled delivery date and the person's address). That's pretty scary. If the bad guys were smart, they could use this to find out when stuff was going to be delivered and be waiting on the porch to sign off on it. Or, they know who owns a lot of ammo or different firearms. Maybe I'm paranoid, but this is scary to me. I tried some "Johnsons" and "Smiths" with the surrounding zip codes and found a lot of orders.

Try is for yourself:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/OrderStatus/OrderDisplayNew.aspx

They have received numerous complaints about this and have decided not to change it because a lot of people like how easy it is to look up their order status. Security does get in the way of "easy", but security is far more important IMHO. They should at least make you enter your order number (something that only you should have). :noway:

I just tried this and I am not sure how I feel about it. I can see your cause for concern. I used my zip code and a few common last names. I only got a result on one name (Smith) and it said only that there were multiple orders and that I had to enter a specific address to get any information.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    I agree, to an extent. When I check my order status, I also have to enter my street address to view my orders. I have a not-so common last name, so it's not a major concern for me, but it is in the back of my mind. What really concerns me is paying with a CC; it leaves a nice little paper trail to show what you have purchased!

You would be amazed at the number of companies, etc that have your name and address. (ie; all of that junk mail that shows up in my mailbox)If I want a name to go with an address, all I have to do is go to a website, plunk in an address, and it gives me the first and last name of the home owner. I can also go to the county courthouse to find the same information.

My point: If someone wants to find out whay you've been ordering, they are going to find out one way or another. I personally am more concerned with Uncle Sam then Joe Blow on the street. I do not let it keep me up at night. Of course, this is IMO.

Bob

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is a good point.

I'm also a little irritated by all of the mistakes (some perhaps intentional) in product descriptions. I got fooled last week and I'm not happy with the results.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I use to order quite frequently from them, then got into it with customer service because I wanted to know why they wouldn't sell ammo to those under 21. I got quoted an nonexistent federal law by no fewer than 3 people. The last guy finally called BATFE in Indy. He got the correct answer, then just says :it's our policy, thank you for your questions" and hung up on me.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    hmm. i see rhino is getting a new knife & boots...

Fiend! You've uncovered my secrets!

The boots are on back order ... probably will never see them.

The knives were supposed to be AUS8A according to the description in the catalog. Naturally they are not. It'd cost as much as I paid for them to send them back, though.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    and your order was left on your front porch, accourding to UPS, yesterday afternoon...

see it is just to easy for someone to find that you have an order coming & when to expect t....

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    and your order was left on your front porch, accourding to UPS, yesterday afternoon...

see it is just to easy for someone to find that you have an order coming & when to expect t....

Could you please check on my ammo order, my internet connection is running a little slow - Thanks ;)

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Bronson, I came here to post this very same thing, so you're fine. Here's my message that pretty much dupes yours:

Hello,

Go to Sportsman's Guide's tracking page:

Sportsman's Guide - Discount Hunting Gear, Discount Hunting Boots, Discount Shoes, Discount Ammunition, Discount Ammo, Discount Boots, Military Surplus, Outdoor Gear at The Sportsman's Guide

Type in last name "Smith" and zip code "46992."

You'll see a fly reel I bought for my brother for Christmas.

You can do this for anyone; I typed in "Smith" from 47591 (Vincennes IN, where I used to live) and another Josh Smith popped up - he ordered some German stuff.

Typed in "Jones" and put him in 46237, an Indianapolis zip code. Seems he's a coyote hunter.

You get the idea.

I wasn't trying to invade others' privacy here, but I had heard that Sportsman's Guide is rather loose with their information and figured I needed to try it out.

Anyone can see what you've bought if they know your zip and last name.

They know about the problem but are unwilling to change it, because the old tracking system was too hard for people to use!

I will not do any further business with them.

You ain't the only one who's a bit miffed.

Josh <><

Top Bottom