• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    If you have a College Degree (or will get one soon), complete it first. Than go in through OCS. Officer Candidate School.

I took this to mean Marine OCS, ie. comment below. But the above line may have been meant in general.

Looked into that route a couple yrs ago. In the end I realized the corps wasn't for me at that point in my life. Also I managed to get only 6 pull ups after 2.5 months of training my upper body and barely passed the PT requirement. For Marine OCS it is really high I believe somewhere around 215-240 on the Marine PT test with average OCS candiate scoring much higher. I strongly recommend reading "A Bullet Away" an excellent book about OCS and a Recon Marine officers personal story. I can hook you up with some more reads the recruiter I talked to back then recommended. I am still pissed though my then girlfriend didn;t let me go up in the Hornet, ie. initial discussion happened at Purdue's airport and I am a private pilot although my vision would have disqualified me from aviation anyway.

STAG556

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Indy
    Well I thought it was time for an update on this thread. I've signed the option 40 meaning I'm guaranteed Airborne and Ranger School. I'm enlisting first and then I'll head to OCS down the road after I've been a real soldier for a while. I appreciate everyones input but the U.S. Army was the winning branch!

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    I've basically made my decision, this 9-5 stuff is tearing me apart inside b/c I know its not what I really want to do. So, I decided to start here before going to a recruiters office. Are there any Army Recruiters here on INGO? If so, please PM me. :patriot:
    Make yourself a career in the Air Force.:patriot:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Well I thought it was time for an update on this thread. I've signed the option 40 meaning I'm guaranteed Airborne and Ranger School. I'm enlisting first and then I'll head to OCS down the road after I've been a real soldier for a while. I appreciate everyones input but the U.S. Army was the winning branch!

are you guarenteed a ranger school slot? let me know any questions you have.

congrats on choosing to be the best in the U.S. Military!!!! Now do it!

also, dont bulk up (muscle) before you go. get to where you max out on your PT and then just focus on running. then run some more. matter of fact, just run to Benning, lol.

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    are you guarenteed a ranger school slot? let me know any questions you have.

congrats on choosing to be the best in the U.S. Military!!!! Now do it!

also, dont bulk up (muscle) before you go. get to where you max out on your PT and then just focus on running. then run some more. matter of fact, just run to Benning, lol.

I can run to Georgia just like this! All the way to Fort Benning and never quit! Ya, right.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

HOOAH!!

Best advice I can give: Listen to what the SGT's tell you and pay attention to detail.

See the stripes in my sig?

If you see someone wearing some, don't **** them off ;) :D

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    congrats on choosing to be the best in the U.S. Military!!!! Now do it!.

He didn't join the Marines.:xmad:

If you were joining the Marines this would be the best advice. Now since you want to be a Ranger you might want to bulk up on some twinkies.;)

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield

A bit of early advice for OCS.

Most prior enlisted wash out of OCS because they lack patience when dealing with the rest of the Candidates. Just tuck that away into the back of your mind somewhere.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    He didn't join the Marines.:xmad:

If you were joining the Marines this would be the best advice. Now since you want to be a Ranger you might want to bulk up on some twinkies.;)

LOLZ!! There is some truth to that though. Get as fat as you can while still being able to PT. You won't be able to eat nearly enough for the calories you'll be burning.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    If he gets a Ranger Tab then he will be fine. He will run circles around MANY MANY officers.

I realize that this is tongue in cheek, but honestly, that is going to be an obstacle as much as it will be an asset.

It can be very easy to lose patience with your squad of fellow candidates when you're running circles around them while they struggle.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I realize that this is tongue in cheek, but honestly, that is going to be an obstacle as much as it will be an asset.

It can be very easy to lose patience with your squad of fellow candidates when you're running circles around them while they struggle.

your only as good as your weakest man. as a leader its just as important to make sure ALL of your men suceed. put the weak ones in front and let them set the pace. If they cant make it then eventualy they will be gone. no one will make it through Ranger school or any other military leadership coarse with an "I" or "ME" attitude. same holds true in combat. theres no "I" in TEAM.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    your only as good as your weakest man. as a leader its just as important to make sure ALL of your men suceed. put the weak ones in front and let them set the pace. If they cant make it then eventualy they will be gone. no one will make it through Ranger school or any other military leadership coarse with an "I" or "ME" attitude. theres no "I" in TEAM.

I'm sure you know this, but as a leader, just putting the slowest guys up front won't hack it, even in OCS. It's your job, as a leader, to find a way to make the slowest guy faster. You have to make him better than he is.

Having good team work, and being a good leader are not always the same thing.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    your only as good as your weakest man. as a leader its just as important to make sure ALL of your men suceed. put the weak ones in front and let them set the pace. If they cant make it then eventualy they will be gone. no one will make it through Ranger school or any other military leadership coarse with an "I" or "ME" attitude. same holds true in combat. theres no "I" in TEAM.

What if you have the I and me attitude and not just an I OR ME?:laugh::p

Top Bottom