• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STAG556

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Indy
    I've basically made my decision, this 9-5 stuff is tearing me apart inside b/c I know its not what I really want to do. So, I decided to start here before going to a recruiters office. Are there any Army Recruiters here on INGO? If so, please PM me. :patriot:

dleeharrison

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Good for you! I joined the Army right out of high school and it was the best thing that I did. I spent a tour in Nam and 2-1/2 years in Germany. I learned a lot, met a variety of people, experienced a wide variety of issues and used the GI Bill to obtain a college education. The attitude towards the service is a lot different than it was during the Vietnam area. Now, GIs are looked up to - quite different from when I was in.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    There is an Army recruiter on INGO. I will search for his user name and get back to you.

The Army was the greatest experience of my life! I think it's a great choice for military service, but do you plan to look into other branches?

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why the Army and not another branch?

Was wondering the same. OP sure sounds as if he has just started his thinking process. Maybe OP has sentimental reasons for wanting the Army, such as following a family tradition ? ? ? If thats the case, thats great !

Personally, I would talk to a representative of each branch. Op also has to decide what specialty interests him. Once that is decided, he can compare and see which branch offers the best training in that area and also who might offer the best opportunities. Also, one branch might offer different duty stations that might appeal to the OP over another.

All the branches are fine choices. Just pick the one that suits you best ! Good luck with your decision!

jmildoc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    South of Indy (in the woods)
    Was wondering the same. OP sure sounds as if he has just started his thinking process. Maybe OP has sentimental reasons for wanting the Army, such as following a family tradition ? ? ? If thats the case, thats great !

Personally, I would talk to a representative of each branch. Op also has to decide what specialty interests him. Once that is decided, he can compare and see which branch offers the best training in that area and also who might offer the best opportunities. Also, one branch might offer different duty stations that might appeal to the OP over another.

All the branches are fine choices. Just pick the one that suits you best ! Good luck with your decision!

Yes I agree with you 100% I was in the Navy but lived on an Army base and worked at National Naval Medical Center where we saw all branches of the military. So I can agree that any branch is a good choice but once you take the ASVAB each branch will offer you different jobs some may be better for you in the long run than others. Especially if you want to just do your time then get out. Seems like there are many Veterans on this site and we are all here for you and im sure you will be able to get many questions answered this way.

radonc73

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Lowell
    Like it has been said I would say it is one of the best decosions I ever made. Teaches you alot about yourself and if you use it right it will give you a better chance in life for jobs and an education.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    I loved it and with almost 20 years in Active and Guard time I still love it.

As for the Army, it used to be the only branch that would give you a contract in writting of what school you wanted. When you went to MEPS and signed up if they didn't have ths school they gave 2 other choices, if you didn't want either of those then you didn't have to join. That was many moons ago though...

Other than that Hooah!

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    Find some practice ASVAB tests online or go to the library or bookstore and have a go at raising your score before you go in for your testing. Anything you can do to raise your scores will open more doors of opportunity for you in terms of what career paths you can take.

Ask if any jobs come with a signing bonus. With the current economy they may not have to offer any, but it never hurts to ask. I received $11k for making it through boot camp and my first round of schools. Got paid before I even hit the fleet.

STAG556

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Indy
    I had entertained the thought of other branches (I actually have a girlfriend at the Air Force Academy) but army is what suits my likings. Rangers to be more specific. I've wanted to be a major league doorkicker ever since I was a little kid but the parents persuaded me to go to college after high school. Here I'm 23, finishing college in December, not very happy with what I'm doing and I've decided I have no desire to do this 9-5 work for the time being. There's just that burning underlying desire to join that's never really gone away. So I'm finally going to do something about it

jmildoc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    South of Indy (in the woods)
    Yes thats right I didnt even think about the sign on bonuses!! I got a $6K sign on bonus. Also you may want to look into what it takes to become a ranger and the success rate as well just so that you dont get your hopes up. I wanted to become a part of SWCC in the navy and since I am color blind I couldnt make it. but it didnt stop me from training for it anyway.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Ranger School is not something you can sign up for when you enlist. It is a school with very limited slots awarded on a competitive basis. I would guess less than 10% of those who apply are accepted. Would help if you were #1 in both basic and AIT, maxed out pt scores, marksmanship, got jump qualified, and served a couple years with a great record. I would start with joining a unit like the 82nd and becoming Airborne then applying.

Having said that I will agree serving your country is a worthwhile endeavor and as corny as it sounds you will get out of it what you are willing to put in. I was a 19D by the way...

STAG556

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Indy
    I fully understand what it takes to be a Ranger. I know it's difficult, I know it's painful I know it'll suck. HOwever for reasons beyond my understanding, i still aspire to be one. Currently that's where my sights are set and hopefully I'll be able to pull it off. Detonics it's funny you say that, 19D was my #1 match according to the army website.

johenz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Indianapols, IN
    As a former soldier I'm biased towards the Army, but I actively encourage every young person, especially young men, to consider military service. I sincerely believe it is the greatest service one can render to one's country; it instills discipline; it teaches teamwork; you develop friendships with folks from across the social spectrum which will last a lifetime.

If you're serious about the Army, I'd especially encourage consideration of the combat arms (ie, infantry, armor, artillery, engineers, scouts). The risk is greater, but the lessons learned are much greater.

johenz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Indianapols, IN
    I fully understand what it takes to be a Ranger. I know it's difficult, I know it's painful I know it'll suck. HOwever for reasons beyond my understanding, i still aspire to be one. Currently that's where my sights are set and hopefully I'll be able to pull it off. Detonics it's funny you say that, 19D was my #1 match according to the army website.

I was a 19D for a while. My avatar is a picture of "Old Bill", a drawing by the great western artist Frederick Remington of a US Cavalryman. "Old Bill is the mascot of the US Cavalry.

Scouts out!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I had entertained the thought of other branches (I actually have a girlfriend at the Air Force Academy) but army is what suits my likings. Rangers to be more specific. I've wanted to be a major league doorkicker ever since I was a little kid but the parents persuaded me to go to college after high school. Here I'm 23, finishing college in December, not very happy with what I'm doing and I've decided I have no desire to do this 9-5 work for the time being. There's just that burning underlying desire to join that's never really gone away. So I'm finally going to do something about it

My son did the same thing, and is in boot now. He chose the Navy because his heart is in aeronautics. From what he has told us, he is glad he went to school, matured a little, and even though it is hard as ..., well, you know, he is so glad he is in.
    Good luck to you and follow your heart.

Navy Mom and Proud of it! :patriot:

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Ranger School is not something you can sign up for when you enlist. It is a school with very limited slots awarded on a competitive basis. I would guess less than 10% of those who apply are accepted. Would help if you were #1 in both basic and AIT, maxed out pt scores, marksmanship, got jump qualified, and served a couple years with a great record. I would start with joining a unit like the 82nd and becoming Airborne then applying.

Having said that I will agree serving your country is a worthwhile endeavor and as corny as it sounds you will get out of it what you are willing to put in. I was a 19D by the way...

Back when I was in, you could get a Ranger contract when first entering. Also while at 30th AG at Ft Benning there is a Ranger liaison that has slots to fill also. I know of 2 people in my BTU that had Ranger contracts. Once BT and AIT where completed they went on to Airborne school. :twocents:

Top Bottom