• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hobie8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Lake County
    Any Walther P99 owners out there? I was at Blythe's yesterday fondling one and really liked how it fit my hand...my G19 felt like a brick compared to the P99. Was wondering what everybody thought of them. Thanks in advance for any info!:ingo:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I REALLY like the P99 platform...

Ergonomics are top notch. They were doing interchangeable backstraps when it was just a gleam in other maker's eyes.

Utterly reliable, too with almost any ammunition. My 9mm version, however, didn't like steel-cased Brown Bear ammo.

The "AS" trigger is something to behold, an engineering marvel, in my opinion.

AND they have a de-cocker.

They are, of course, larger than a G19...not by much. Replacement parts are VERY hard to come by, as it all goes through S&W. Magazines are expensive. Thankfully, the SW99 magazines will fit the P99.

In MY experience, recoil, even from the 9mm, is a little snappy. Personally, I blame the height of the slide. There's a lot more mass above the barrel of a P99 than there is in a G19 (purely subjective observation). I do believe that my new M&P 9c has less felt recoil than my full-sized P99 9mm. My P99 9mm is quite accurate as well.

I've also owned a P99 in .40 S&W. Recoil was stout and "torque-y", but that sucker was dead-nuts accurate too. I cannot remember if I had any issues with aluminum cased ammo, though. Been too long ago. (Sold it last May or June for rent money)

I think that they're worth the used price... But I don't think I could ever bring myself to pay for a NIB one. I found both of mine (used, LNIB, 1st generation, AS triggers) for $475 and $450 at Gander Mountain in Greenwood.

I'd buy 'em all day long at that price.

-J-

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I have a SW99 40 that I really really like so can I get in on the love fest, Best feeling gun in my hand, a great size for carry,

I bought a S&W M&P 40 for a full size gun to fill out the needs. and it compares nicely but the SW99 is still my main carry gun

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    p99 owner here

I also have a Walther P99, in .40 caliber. It was my first handgun that I bought and I did a lot of research preparing for it. Never had any regrets. It has the best ergonomics of any gun I've held. Its look, feel, size, accuracy, concealability, make it an excellent choice.

I've owned it for 4 years and shot it many times and carry it occasionally. The only weird thing that ever happened was that a factory magazine broke while inside the gun. All mags are susceptible to wear and breakage, thats why you should have a whole stack of them ready to go. :):

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My youngest Nephew borrowed my 9mm Wather P99. He loves it so much he won't give it back to me, so I armed wrestled him for it. Heck man, I lost. On purpose, but don't tell him. He gloated for days.

I would have gone to the range and do a shoot compitition for the sidearm, but then again, he's a better shot that me.

So, are the P99s good handguns? Me and my Nephew think so.

Al B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    EM78 South IN
    My wife and I have been out several times to look at pistols and the P99 was one of her favorites. Looks like a fine pistol to me.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Winchester1:

You can find a very good condition used P99 in the $400-$450 range...as were both of mine. Of course, that was about 3 years ago now.

A NIB P99 from a shop will be around $750+

They come with 15/16 rd mags. I have 2 15rd and 1 10rd for my P99.

New/extra magazines are expensive, though. It's a little cheaper to buy a SW99 magazine.

-J-

Top Bottom