Vito Whisper solvent traps & other "legal" machinegun parts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    yes. Hunting without a can last year (because I forgot to bring the can when I was zeroing) was a big mistake. One shot without and my ears rang the rest of the day. With the can, even with HV ammo, it is not all that noticeable.

I wouldn't shoot all day without ear pro, but for hunting it def reduces the noise. It's also nice not to get every living thing's attention within a mile of your shot.
    Amateur. I hunted all the time without earpro as a kid. Pffff!

What was that? Huh? Can you please repeat that? Say again?

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    So, when I hear a person say: " I was talking to someone earlier about how I wanted to eventually make my own suppressor on a form 1 or 4 or whatever the form is. He started telling me about solvent traps." It concerns me if they possess "any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler..."
    I've been talking about building my own silencer for probably 30 years. Just never got around to it because I never bothered to look into what exactly I need to do legally before I begin. I'm the kind of guy that when I put a larger engine in a small truck and had clearance issues with the hood closing, I made my own intake manifold out of scrap aluminum and a tig welder so I could close the hood without modifying the body. When I was 10 years old, I made my own bow and arrows out of a tree, some string and a dead bird. When I needed a 460 big block to fit in a 1967 Mustang convertible, I redesigned the shock towers so it would fit and stiffened the body to handle the torque. It's just what I naturally do. I make things and modify things. No need to be concerned about my having a solvent trap. As I said, the only ones I've ever seen in person were crappy 6061 aluminum. That is the wrong material for withstanding such pressures.

Those of us who know how to build things know we could make a silencer out of a flashlight and washers if we wanted to. We just don't want to. A state of freedom is a state I've been in my whole life and intend to stay in for the remainder of my life. I notice the words "and intended for use in assembling". I have never bought or acquired anything with the intention of turning it into a silencer, but we gun guys like to think about and talk to other gun guys about what we would like to do, like to buy, like to have, and plan on getting in the future. Kind of how we car guys like to talk about how we want to put a 327 V8 in that old S10 Xtreme pickup one of these days. If we ever find the time and money to do it.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Read this from a shooter's perspective, NOT a suppressor salesman:

I've purchased and registered "fuel filters" to use as suppressors. Yes, registered through the ATF, serialized, model number, etc. They're cool, kinda, but their suppression isn't all it's supposed to be. We had four, registered them all, shot them, then used a grinder to cut them up and dropped them from the registry. The only nice thing is that you can choose the aperture hole in the front cap.

They're cheap, not well built, and basically a shrapnel grenade for the inexperienced user. For 22, they were fine. Big ones were good on 9mm. But for 556, we tested five rounds and decided we'd rather stay intact than press our luck. Also there weren't suppressor height sights tall enough anywhere to use the 9mm can on a pistol.
    I'm actually so nervous about getting or building my 1st NFA item that I would want to make sure it was something that would last the rest of my life, that if I ever had to produce to LE, I could do so, and if it was ever out of my name, it would be done through a transfer. I would be afraid that the government would not enter something into a computer after I destroyed an NFA item, think I still had it, then come harassing me about where it was.

I use to get pulled over probably 5 times a year at least when I had gotten a brand new license plate. The previous owner of the plate number had his plate stolen & reported it stolen. The plate # was reissued to me, but for some reason, the police computers still listed my brand new license plate as a stolen plate. I felt very much harassed, even though I'd done absolutely nothing wrong.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Those of us who know how to build things know we could make a silencer out of a flashlight and washers if we wanted to.
    And although I can't install an engine - I do know how to file paperwork. We all have our strengths.

Don't be angry, just think about it, figure out what you want, and talk to people that fill the void in your strengths. It's simple to do - kinda like making a manifold for... uh, a ... that thing you were talking about. Easy for you, but you know what you're doing.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    And although I can't install an engine - I do know how to file paperwork. We all have our strengths.

Don't be angry, just think about it, figure out what you want, and talk to people that fill the void in your strengths. It's simple to do - kinda like making a manifold for... uh, a ... that thing you were talking about. Easy for you, but you know what you're doing.
    I'm sure the paperwork isn't difficult. I've just never looked into it that much. Not sure why you'd think I'm angry or why you'd think it's appropriate to try and insult me.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I'm actually so nervous about getting or building my 1st NFA item that I would want to make sure it was something that would last the rest of my life, that if I ever had to produce to LE, I could do so, and if it was ever out of my name, it would be done through a transfer. I would be afraid that the government would not enter something into a computer after I destroyed an NFA item, think I still had it, then come harassing me about where it was.

I use to get pulled over probably 5 times a year at least when I had gotten a brand new license plate. The previous owner of the plate number had his plate stolen & reported it stolen. The plate # was reissued to me, but for some reason, the police computers still listed my brand new license plate as a stolen plate. I felt very much harassed, even though I'd done absolutely nothing wrong.
    Again - don't be nervous. You sound a little younger, so I doubt a suppressor is going to last the rest of your life.

NFA items aren't a sentence to be searched for the rest of your life. They're a single item, like a set of tires, that if kept properly cleaned and rotated, will last a LONG time. As for the tickets, that's on you.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I'm sure the paperwork isn't difficult. I've just never looked into it that much. Not sure why you'd think I'm angry or why you'd think it's appropriate to try and insult me.
    Anyone that knows me knows I don't insult anyone. I was just trying to communicate on a common ground. If I missed the point, then apologies.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I apologize then. I just assumed the suggestion that I need my hand held to do paperwork was an insult.
    For the first set of papers - everyone needs their hand held, and there's nothing wrong with that. That's where people like me (or your local dealer) come in.

There are always questions and it's easier to ask than just trudge through and get your forms rejected.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I apologize then. I just assumed the suggestion that I need my hand held to do paperwork was an insult.
    I suggest buying an economical 1 to start with, do paperwork with dealer to find out whats involved and then 1 day, take the suppressor apart to clean and learn to make your own from it...reverse engineering per se.

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    I just watched an episode of Mythbusters where they fired a pistol in a fairly elaborate vacuum chamber. Practically no sound was made. So did they, on a nationally syndicated program, create a un-taxed suppressor?
    If they did violate NFA 1934, has the BATFE defined the ambient atmospheric pressure that requires a excise tax stamp?

Of course they have not because it's easier to use our tax dollars to persecute prosecute an individual with vague, impromptu interpretations, than published specifications. End rant here.

MH

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    No, paperwork isn't difficult if you know what you're doing. The stakes are high with NFA stuff though, so dealing with known and trusted experts minimizes the risks of mistakes.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Buy a “fuel filter” off some Chinese website and take a chance on some trigger happy batf (bureau of animosity towards Fido) agent shoot my dog…I’ll pass!

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Those of us who know how to build things know we could make a silencer out of a flashlight and washers if we wanted to. We just don't want to.........

And for good reason.....although I enjoyed the suppressors made out of 4 D cell Mag Lights (yes, the infamous Widow Maker) which were ubiquitous on "The Walking Dead"".
    Kind of how we car guys like to talk about how we want to put a 327 V8 in that old S10 Xtreme pickup one of these days. If we ever find the time and money to do it.

My '99 S-10 Xtreme was the host for a B&B'd 383. The narrowed rear end and steamroller meats made for an.........interesting driving experience.

Nicknamed "Shadow", it should have been ca!!ed "A Cautionary Tale".

Top Bottom