• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    +1... reminder the officer unloaded 16 shots.
    You shoot to....
    Yep. Keep shooting till the threat stops moving. Someone laying on the ground with a gun in their hand can kill you just as dead as someone standing. And just because u cant see the gun doesnt mean it's not still in their hand under them or whatever.
    I'll defer to my training. My experience with real life people and if I'm judged by a jury so be it. I'll be facing them alive

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    He only fired 16 shots because he ran out of bullets. If he had carried his spare, he would have shot more.

I'm guessing this whole thing was to prove some point and punish this cop. Point taken. Now police will be not only second guessing their choices (more than they already do) but triple and quadrupling check them which is going to result in them NOT taking the shot or hesitating so much that it will be too late to do anything. There will be loss of life, theirs included.

This will not produce the outcome they were hoping for.
    But hey, as long as we keep white cops from killing poor defenseless, unarmed black thugs, it's all good.
    Because BLM. :rockwoot:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    He got carried away - Lost control IMO

Did he?

What if he'd only fired one round and the outcome was the same? Does that change anything? If yes, then what do the other rounds matter? How many rounds are acceptable? How much time do we allow a person to gather information, process it, reconcile any discrepancies which might be brought on by things like tunnel vision, auditory exclusion and looming, reach a decision and send the appropriate signals to the appropriate muscles to execute the appropriate commands?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Let's keep in mind that the standard is proof beyond a reasonable doubt. I don't see anything in that video which brings me to believe there was an intentional, unreasonable or unjustified intent to kill a person which should result in a guilty verdict. But our criminal justice system has been corrupted and polluted by feelings and every day facts matter less and less. I guess someone got their pound of flesh, it'll be interesting to see if it was enough flesh to satiate those who "care".

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yep. Keep shooting till the threat stops moving. Someone laying on the ground with a gun in their hand can kill you just as dead as someone standing. And just because u cant see the gun doesnt mean it's not still in their hand under them or whatever.
    I'll defer to my training. My experience with real life people and if I'm judged by a jury so be it. I'll be facing them alive

I agree. Someone laying in the ground with a gun in their hand can kill you just as dead. Someone laying on the ground, after being shot multiple times, with a knife in their hand? Well, out side of American Ninja-type movies, I have yet to hear of such an instance. The first shots, "may" have been justified, the ones after he's fallen to the ground? I don't see it.

...and you don't shoot until the threat stops moving, you shoot to end the threat. I, and apparently the jury concurred, believed the threat had been stopped, when the officer unloaded subsequent rounds into the suspect.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Did he?

What if he'd only fired one round and the outcome was the same? Does that change anything? If yes, then what do the other rounds matter? How many rounds are acceptable? How much time do we allow a person to gather information, process it, reconcile any discrepancies which might be brought on by things like tunnel vision, auditory exclusion and looming, reach a decision and send the appropriate signals to the appropriate muscles to execute the appropriate commands?

I have absolutely do not how I would react, none and I hope I never find out.

The man had a knife, messed up on drugs. It appears he turned towards the cop and he let go. The man fell and the cop kept shooting. I cannot imagine.

I truly think he should not have been found guilty of 2nd degree murder. A cop going against a big kid/man screwed up on drugs with a knife...in Chicago.

I cannot imagine. It is easy to look back and decide how one should have done something. I feel sorry for the guy.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I agree. Someone laying in the ground with a gun in their hand can kill you just as dead. Someone laying on the ground, after being shot multiple times, with a knife in their hand? Well, out side of American Ninja-type movies, I have yet to hear of such an instance. The first shots, "may" have been justified, the ones after he's fallen to the ground? I don't see it.

...and you don't shoot until the threat stops moving, you shoot to end the threat. I, and apparently the jury concurred, believed the threat had been stopped, when the officer unloaded subsequent rounds into the suspect.
    Ok I used the wrong words. I've always said all other times "shoot till the threat is stopped". Another reason not to talk to police without a lawyer, all it takes is one innocent word mistake like that and you're forever ****ed.
    If I feel threatened by their movements I'll shoot. I can't talk every hypothetical on the internet but I have real life situations that have shaped my mindset. Also training. That comes into play.
    When I see people who act aggressively towards police I am a lot less likely to give them the benefit of the doubt and I'll likely side with the officer who has training

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Did the cop know it was a knife. Did the cop know he didn't have any other weapons on him, standing on lying down.

For the record, impact reactions and convulsions do count as still moving around. :):

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    What continually grinds my gears in these situations, whether they involve police officers or not, is the complete and total lack of responsibility of the perp or the incredibly obvious and ridiculously easy decision which could have prevented the outcome. Show me a video of anyone walking up to a total stranger and shooting them dead for no reason and I'll gladly join in the dog pile and pray the bastard never sees the light of day again. Show me a video of someone who could have easily done what they knew damned well and good was the right thing to do but decided not to and they get shot/killed as a result and I'm not down with hanging the person who fired the shots.

Dead is dead. Justified and reasonable is justified and reasonable. This whole "the first 7 rounds were fine but that 8th and 9th were offensive even though I've never been in a situation more stressful than someone cutting me off on my way to Starbucks" bull**** needs to stop.

Don't want to end up dead? Don't do anything which would make the ending of your life justifiable and/or reasonable.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    **** it. I hope every cop in Chicago sees this verdict and comes to the same conclusion. “I don’t need this job. I quit”. Seriously. Let that **** hole burn to the ground. Let them have their anarchist wet dream. I’m tired of trying to fight it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    What continually grinds my gears in these situations, whether they involve police officers or not, is the complete and total lack of responsibility of the perp or the incredibly obvious and ridiculously easy decision which could have prevented the outcome. Show me a video of anyone walking up to a total stranger and shooting them dead for no reason and I'll gladly join in the dog pile and pray the bastard never sees the light of day again. Show me a video of someone who could have easily done what they knew damned well and good was the right thing to do but decided not to and they get shot/killed as a result and I'm not down with hanging the person who fired the shots.

Dead is dead. Justified and reasonable is justified and reasonable. This whole "the first 7 rounds were fine but that 8th and 9th were offensive even though I've never been in a situation more stressful than someone cutting me off on my way to Starbucks" bull**** needs to stop.

Don't want to end up dead? Don't do anything which would make the ending of your life justifiable and/or reasonable.
    BINGO ding ding ding ding!!!
    As soon as these urban youts get it through their thick skulls to knock off their macho ego and obey the orders of the police, the sooner less and less of them get ventilated. Because they earned it.
    Wanna be a macho man? How about being a daddy to your kids

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    If the cops testimony/statements hadn’t been completely inconsistent with the video on multiple relevant points, he might of had a winning defense. Non-credible testimony gets treated without credibility.

Nevermind CPD and Chitowns ongoing corruption problems.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I wonder if this guy was mentally deranged, living illegally in the foothills, and had threatened officers with knives, if the sentiment would be the same. Oh wait, nevermind.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    So he is going to prison for something that happened outside of his control?
    IMO, pretty much. Of course it is my opinion.

From the article I linked earlier on Second degree murder in IL
    It requires jurors to find that the prosecutors have proved all the elements of first-degree murder. Then they must decide whether the defense has shown “it is more probably true than not true” that Van Dyke believed he was justified, but that belief was unreasonable.
    So, the jury apparently felt he should not have shot McDonald, but they felt Van Dyke thought he was justified in doing so.

I do not see how they then convicted him of 16 counts of Aggravated battery with a firearm.
    Aggravated battery with a firearm is defined as knowingly discharging a firearm and causing injury to another person.
    Then again, I can't understand how they can charge him with a crime for every bullet he fired.

A question for you. What is your opinion of his shots fired after McDonald is lying on the ground?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If the cops testimony/statements hadn’t been completely inconsistent with the video on multiple relevant points, he might of had a winning defense. Non-credible testimony gets treated without credibility.

Nevermind CPD and Chitowns ongoing corruption problems.

And therein lies my problem with body & dash cameras. Perception is reality and the human eye doesn't see everything a camera does nor does it experience emotion, problems with depth perception, does not detect the direction of sound, doesn't take in to account prior experiences with certain people, etc.. Video quite frequently provides those sitting in judgement with one whole hell of a lot more information than an officer has in the moment and they don't have to make their decisions with the type of stresses believing you might die tend to put on you.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    A question for you. What is your opinion of his shots fired after McDonald is lying on the ground?

My opinion is this, every single human being on this planet is different. Some handle stress very well, others don't. Some can function in a high stress, life and death environment with precision, others don't have a prayer. The actions and decisions we make can vary greatly based on what we, as individuals, have experienced prior to a particular situation. I make a point not to try and judge those faced with situations I have never faced myself. Even in judging those in situations I have faced I am very cautious, not everyone is wired like I am. We task police officers with extremely difficult responsibilities and along with that should come some level of respect and confidence. If and when an officer does something intentionally which violates the trust and oath they've taken they should be hung out to dry and be used as an example to others who might follow that same path.

In short, it takes time to see a threat, recognize it as a threat, process that information, formulate a plan and execute that plan. Therefore it also takes time to see that a threat is no longer a threat, recognize that the danger is over, process that information and tell the muscles which have been repetitively trained to do one thing in this situation to suddenly do another also takes time. There is a line between an officer dumping an entire magazine in seconds when they believe their life is in danger and an officer walking up and putting a coups de grace shot in the back of a perp's head 10 seconds after a perp stops moving. That line is easy to recognize to anyone with a lick of sense and an appetite for the truth.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom