• ...and so much more!
  • alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    Thank you, Sylvain.
    "God, may we remember so that we recognize the evil the destroyed so much, so many. Help us to not repeat the errors of those before, who ignored evil and failed to stomp it out while a smoldering ember. Bless those who bravely gave their lives and those who faithfully serve today."

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    My maternal grandfather was an ambulance driver in France. My mom still has his uniform. My son has plans to build a shadow box frame to display it in. My grandfather was the one that influenced my love for the outdoors more than any other. He would take my brother and I fishing when we were young. Great memories. We used to fish at Giest Reservoir and catch a cooler full of Crappie. He never mentioned the war.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    My maternal grandfather was an ambulance driver in France. My mom still has his uniform. My son has plans to build a shadow box frame to display it in. My grandfather was the one that influenced my love for the outdoors more than any other. He would take my brother and I fishing when we were young. Great memories. We used to fish at Giest Reservoir and catch a cooler full of Crappie. He never mentioned the war.

I'm glad he came home after the war.

I visited some cemeteries in Indiana, a few had military graves of WW1 or WW2 soldiers.
    It was the first time I saw soldiers graves where the date of death was not 1917 or 1944.

It was a plaque like that ...

EP-180529678.jpg

I think the white cross is only for soldiers who died in combat.Veterans get a plaque like that in the US? Not sure.

I had visited tens of thousands of US soldiers graves in France, I always look at the date to see at what age they died.
    Many in their 20's, some not even 18 ... a few in their 30's, usually officers or some even in their 40's like chaplains.

I will always remember seeing that plaque and realizing that some made it back home and died of old age.

I did had the chance to meet a Hoosier WW2 vet to thank him in person for his service.
    He had served in France and was happy to meet someone who knew about the places he saw during the war.
    I randomly bumped into him at the local library.
    We talked but I never asked his name.I wish I had.

I don't think he had mention the war to many people.
    Sadly many of those heroes died with their stories.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Sylvain,

The grave marker You pictured is the standard one that you can get from the Veterans Administration for any veteran of the US Armed Forces. The cross on it denotes a Christian religion; you can get other symbols or none at all if you wish.

The markers can list a limited number of significant events and medals, like “WWII” “bronze star“ and so forth.

The rank and branch of service, And dates of death and birth of course can also be shown.

My father’s marker shows his rank and wwii service, Although he continued with his military service later and achieved higher rank. You can buy commercial version that match the veterans marker, but without the military info of course. My mothers marker is made to match my father’s, As they are side-by-side in the same plot.

Thanks again for posting such great pictures

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Sylvain,

The grave marker You pictured is the standard one that you can get from the Veterans Administration for any veteran of the US Armed Forces. The cross on it denotes a Christian religion; you can get other symbols or none at all if you wish.

The markers can list a limited number of significant events and medals, like “WDW 2“, “brown star“ and so forth.

The rank and branch of service, And dates of death and birth of course can also be shown.

The fact that you can have no religion symbol on the plaque/grave must be a fairly new thing.

In the cemeteries that we have in France, both from WW1 and WW2, even unknown soldiers get a white cross.

Only the Jewish soldiers have a different stone.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Yes, possibly it’s new with in the last couple decades. We recently had to replace my father’s grave marker because it was damaged by a mower, and I recall the form for getting the replacement had a choice of religious symbols.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    President Trump is to visit Bellau wood today, where a brigade of US Marines fought during WW1.

The wood was renamed wood of the Marine brigade after the war.

image.jpg

plaque.JPG

The Marines gained the nickname "Devil dogs" after that battle.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    A fountain with a bulldog face is located in this wood, here since 1840.
    After the Bellau Wood battle the bulldog become the US Marine Corps' mascot.

memorial_day_2014_belleau-2-12b67.jpg

cc13222f5ad61a239498fbdd09f95209.jpg

Top Bottom