Not open for further replies.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    Man shoots self inside Valpo gun range

VALPARAISO | Valparaiso police said a 60-year-old Valparaiso man shot himself in the head Tuesday afternoon inside the gun range at Blythe's Sport Shop, 2810 N. Calumet Ave.
    The man, whose name was not immediately released, was taken to Porter Valparaiso Hospital Campus for treatment of what was described as a life-threatening head injury.
    Valparaiso police spokesman Sgt. Michael Grennes said the man was firing a weapon in the range when he shot himself with what is believed to be one round.
    Grennes did not have information about what weapon was involved. He said the investigation will continue into whether the shooting was accidental or intentional.
    The shooting occurred about 12:20 p.m. Tuesday and the man was transported by Valparaiso Fire Department medics a short time later.

This range is in the upstairs of a sports store. They do have video cameras going in both sides of the range, I'm going to guess they are recording. He didn't go on a rampage. Hate to be awkward about this, but I'm wondering if he still shot down range.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    VALPARAISO | Valparaiso police said a 60-year-old Valparaiso man shot himself in the head Tuesday afternoon inside the gun range at Blythe's Sport Shop, 2810 N. Calumet Ave.

The man, whose name was not immediately released, was taken to Porter Valparaiso Hospital Campus for treatment of what was described as a life-threatening head injury.

Valparaiso police spokesman Sgt. Michael Grennes said the man was firing a weapon in the range when he shot himself with what is believed to be one round.

Grennes did not have information about what weapon was involved. He said the investigation will continue into whether the shooting was accidental or intentional.

The shooting occurred about 12:20 p.m. Tuesday and the man was transported by Valparaiso Fire Department medics a short time later.

Sorry, I just can't be compassionate for suicide.
    :dunno:
    Based on the limited information in the article we don't know if the man was trying to kill himself. "...shot himself in the head.." could mean
    1) He pointed the gun to his head and pulled the trigger
    2) he was shooting downrange and the bullet came back rickochet (??sp??)
    3) He mishandled the firearm and "shot" himself in the head (ie. Holding the gun pointed at yourself why reloading it, holding the gun incorrectly, etc..)

How quick some of you are to blast the man to hell (pund intended) :D for thinking he was trying to kill himself. Yes he might have been trying to do that but I'm not sure we have enough on the article to say that just yet.

Last edited:

AppleBonker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    Valpo
    That's unfortunate. I guess I'll avoid that area on the drive home from work today. Glad I didn't stop off at home on my lunch break as I likely would've driven right by there at roughly the time this occurred.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    No reports if he's actually dead yet, just life-threatening injury. I really shouldn't have labeled it suicide off the words of the cops and the newspaper until it is officially put out there. I jumped the gun instead of remembering how bad this newspaper screws up. Anyhow, wondering if the surveillance video will be put out there at all. Plus find out if it was a rented firearm or if he brought his own.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    From Post Tribune -

POST-TRIBUNE STAFF REPORT
    A 60-year-old Valparaiso man has been taken to Porter hospital after shooting himself in the head at Blythe's there.
    Police said the shooting was an attempted suicide. The man went into the store and asked to try out a gun on the range. He shot himself there instead.

Tazman62

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Did something like this happen at Dons? kind of a trend going on now. I always thought rented guns was a bad Idea. There is no measure of control for them.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Another government shill " BAN THE GUNS!!!!!!!!!!!! "

Without a firearm or "easy access" to the range, this man would still be alive!

By the way, failing at a suicide attempt you've got to really want to die now.

hip shot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Did something like this happen at Dons? kind of a trend going on now. I always thought rented guns was a bad Idea. There is no measure of control for them.

A few years ago someing did happen here in indy a Galyans, guy asked to see a 20 ga and he apperently had a shell in his pocket, loaded the shotgun and pointed at his head and pulled the trigger

you could see where they had to replace the carpet.......

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I think it's disgusting that you guys are making light of such a terrible situation. Think of this poor guy's family before you go joking around about a topic like suicide. Not to mention the negative effect it had on Blythes. Not just in sales or lost range revenue or whatever bs but on the employees that had to deal with this first hand today.

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    I think it's disgusting that you guys are making light of such a terrible situation. Think of this poor guy's family before you go joking around about a topic like suicide. Not to mention the negative effect it had on Blythes. Not just in sales or lost range revenue or whatever bs but on the employees that had to deal with this first hand today.

+1

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    The deed is done. He escaped whatever he was facing on his own terms. We are responding in our own way. Yes, I mourn those who knew him and cared for him, as well as those who are directly effected by his choice of venue. We all deal with difficult situations in our own ways. Whether it's joking, crying, drinking, or beating the crap out of a punching bag.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom