• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Reports are saying that the shooter walked in thru an unlocked door unencumbered. First line of defense. FAIL. If you can't even do basic things like securing entrances, when children are in school then you have failed.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    How does an 18yo fast food employee (more concerned about pay than job field here), with mental health issues, obtain a DD rifle and ~$500 optic?
    If he lives at home with grandma and doesn't really have any bills, $2500 wouldn't take much time to save up.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    How does an 18yo fast food employee (more concerned about pay than job field here), with mental health issues, obtain a DD rifle and ~$500 optic?
    I have wondered what kind of vibes he put off when purchasing his weapons . I can`t see how this Sick **** was able to present himself as a " proper person " to the gun shop staff . I assume just because someone answers all the 4473 questions correctly ( even after possibly lying ) , that a seller still reserves the right to not sell if something doesn`t seem right ? ( Or is it about the almighty dollar )
    Would love to at least see some possible videos on the days he purchased his guns .
    Not trying to blame the gun shops ....I`m just still dissecting ,what seems like a lot of failed practices .

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Reports are saying that the shooter walked in thru an unlocked door unencumbered. First line of defense. FAIL. If you can't even do basic things like securing entrances, when children are in school then you have failed.
    But, that unlocked door was to/from the teachers parking lot - they could not be bothered with having to unlock it every time they went in

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Simple steps do work.

Keycard locks on doors. Don't open the door for strangers--EVER.

Keep classroom doors closed and locked during class time. Make sure someone on the outside of the classroom actually belongs in it before opening it for them.

Funnel all outsiders through the main doors where office folks can buzz them in and vouch for them before they get even close to run of the building.

Yes, those are all an inconvenience, and at times a pain in the butt. Beats the alternative when crazy can just walk in though.

Keep armed officerS In. The. Schools. One good guy with a gun can't be everywhere in the whole building/campus at the same time. If your darling snowflake kid is afraid of armed cops in the school then teach them not to be, or better yet homeschool them. Every officer I've met in a school has always been polite, respectful, and honestly wanted to be there to enhance staff/student safety. Maybe this is just in the schools I've been in, but I'm willing to make this a generalization and stand behind it.

With all the $$ floating around seemingly doing very little, I'd LOVE to see some of it put to work hardening windows on the first floors and replacing glass doors/entrances with at minimum ballistic-resistant glass that wouldn't fail immediately when shot at. And let's face it, 1-way reflective coatings aren't all that expensive, but they do work. Coat every glass surface at the ground floor. If targets can't be seen, it's much harder to hit them.

Then if you really want to get to brass tacks, offer some intensive training for those who'd like to become on-site sheep dogs instead of mandatory sheep. Make it a weed-out kind of training even, so only those with real physical and mental ability get the training. Even keep the names of those who took/passed the training a secret so the student population doesn't know for sure who is/isn't carrying. Put doubt into the minds of those sick enough to try. Make it risky enough that they can't be sure they'll actually get anything accomplished before getting neutralized.

Generally, taking a proactive approach is always going to be better than tears and hand-wringing after "hoping it won't happen here" fails horribly.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have wondered what kind of vibes he put off when purchasing his weapons . I can`t see how this Sick **** was able to present himself as a " proper person " to the gun shop staff .
    Short of mumbling out loud that you're going to use the gun to shoot someone, it's not that hard to act normal enough for the 15 minutes it takes to do the background check.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Simple steps do work.

Keycard locks on doors. Don't open the door for strangers--EVER.

Keep classroom doors closed and locked during class time. Make sure someone on the outside of the classroom actually belongs in it before opening it for them.

Funnel all outsiders through the main doors where office folks can buzz them in and vouch for them before they get even close to run of the building.

Yes, those are all an inconvenience, and at times a pain in the butt. Beats the alternative when crazy can just walk in though.

Keep armed officerS In. The. Schools. One good guy with a gun can't be everywhere in the whole building/campus at the same time. If your darling snowflake kid is afraid of armed cops in the school then teach them not to be, or better yet homeschool them. Every officer I've met in a school has always been polite, respectful, and honestly wanted to be there to enhance staff/student safety. Maybe this is just in the schools I've been in, but I'm willing to make this a generalization and stand behind it.

With all the $$ floating around seemingly doing very little, I'd LOVE to see some of it put to work hardening windows on the first floors and replacing glass doors/entrances with at minimum ballistic-resistant glass that wouldn't fail immediately when shot at. And let's face it, 1-way reflective coatings aren't all that expensive, but they do work. Coat every glass surface at the ground floor. If targets can't be seen, it's much harder to hit them.

Then if you really want to get to brass tacks, offer some intensive training for those who'd like to become on-site sheep dogs instead of mandatory sheep. Make it a weed-out kind of training even, so only those with real physical and mental ability get the training. Even keep the names of those who took/passed the training a secret so the student population doesn't know for sure who is/isn't carrying. Put doubt into the minds of those sick enough to try. Make it risky enough that they can't be sure they'll actually get anything accomplished before getting neutralized.

Generally, taking a proactive approach is always going to be better than tears and hand-wringing after "hoping it won't happen here" fails horribly.
    All good points. Your first three are spot on and those are the kind of basic steps that I have been talking about. They can be implemented right away while the discussion for and against arming school personnel can be hashed out. Strict adherence to the most basic steps should begin the foundation for an overall comprehensive security plan.

Top Bottom