• ...and so much more!
  • oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    One thing that I never hear about is the impact on American society that the great social experiment conducted here of the policy of psychiatric deinstitutionalization has had. Here's a great article that covers that topic and others wrt mass shooters:

In case of TL : DR, here are 3 salient points from it:
    • Perpetrators of indiscriminate mass shootings are far more likely to suffer from serious mental illness than the general public.
    • Bearing in mind that association does not prove causation, the average annual rate of indiscriminate mass shootings rose by more than five times along with the mass psychiatric deinstitutionalization that occurred in the U.S. from 1955 to 2010.
    • The U.S. has one of lowest rates of psychiatric institutionalization in the developed world, and Japan’s rate is about 10 times greater.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm gonna be the wet blanket here. Sorry, but here's my :twocents:...

I think threads like this are counterproductive to us and actually give the anti's fuel for their fires and talking points. When we talk of what they "might" do, it tells them what they should do.

We should let them do as they will, without educating them of what we fear. Don't give them points to "compromise on" to get to their goal of repealing the 2A. When they do actually take some legislative action, we should simply say NO.

We are at the height of emotion, after a horrific massacre that the true facts are still dribbling out on. This is no time to get in the mud with the anti's. That is what they want. Just tell them NO!

NO, because of the Second Amendment. Just NO.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    as more info is put out, we are seeing that once again the laws on the books are not being followed. several reports that this person had threatened several of his classmates.

multiple social media posts and direct threats. yet noone thought to contact authorities.

i expect reports from law enforcement that state he was on their radar within the next week.

TrueSeanamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Indiana
    One thing that I never hear about is the impact on American society that the great social experiment conducted here of the policy of psychiatric deinstitutionalization has had. Here's a great article that covers that topic and others wrt mass shooters:

In case of TL : DR, here are 3 salient points from it:
    • Perpetrators of indiscriminate mass shootings are far more likely to suffer from serious mental illness than the general public.
    • Bearing in mind that association does not prove causation, the average annual rate of indiscriminate mass shootings rose by more than five times along with the mass psychiatric deinstitutionalization that occurred in the U.S. from 1955 to 2010.
    • The U.S. has one of lowest rates of psychiatric institutionalization in the developed world, and Japan’s rate is about 10 times greater.
    Another huge thing Reagan absolutely f**ked us on. Letting all the lunatics out of the asylums.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    as more info is put out, we are seeing that once again the laws on the books are not being followed. several reports that this person had threatened several of his classmates.

multiple social media posts and direct threats. yet noone thought to contact authorities.

i expect reports from law enforcement that state he was on their radar within the next week.
    Of course he was. The whole left leaning movement to defund and hamstring LE agency’s is working. It’s working against us. Not the boots on the ground LEO’ but the bosses.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/own-guns-read-know-well-100000059.html

the views of a traitor.

now...i do support red flag laws. as long as they are justly enforced. LE should follow up on reports of potentially violent persons. noone should have their firearm(s) taken by force or threat without due process.

the rest of what this turd is talking is bs.

then you have the "celebrities" talking about "gun control". yet they ALL have armed security surrounding them & their families.

i have been home from work sick all week. i watched part of The View the other day. the black chick that looks like a mule with lipstick was going on about the kid using an auomatic rifle. and noone on stage corrected her. the only broad that made ANY valid point was the cute blonde. she said something to the effect of enforcing laws already on the books. then she lost me by echoing the bs that mary the mule was pushing.

my takeaway was: they don't care about the truth. they don't care about solving any violent problems. and they certainly don't care about our children.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Another huge thing Reagan absolutely f**ked us on. Letting all the lunatics out of the asylums.
    Prior to the reforms 40-50 years ago, it was FAR TOO EASY to commit someone to involuntary institutionalization... which too often turned into a permanent, lifetime thing.

However, those rules set in place 40-50 years ago now make it FAR TOO HARD to put people that need it into an institutional setting. Just one example is bi-polar individuals who make violent threats (or worse) when off of their meds, get a short stay, take their meds and are released after 72 hours. Rinse/repeat until someone is seriously injured or killed.

Way past time to re-visit this.

Often, the call is for more mental health resources... which are needed... but so also revising the rules for involuntary entry into and exit from mental health institutions to find the "goldi-locks" level below the old rules and the current ones.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Prior to the reforms 40-50 years ago, it was FAR TOO EASY to commit someone to involuntary institutionalization... which too often turned into a permanent, lifetime thing.

However, those rules set in place 40-50 years ago now make it FAR TOO HARD to put people that need it into an institutional setting. Just one example is bi-polar individuals who make violent threats (or worse) when off of their meds, get a short stay, take their meds and are released after 72 hours. Rinse/repeat until someone is seriously injured or killed.

Often, the call is for more mental health resources... which are needed... but so also revising the rules for involuntary entry into and exit from mental health institutions to find the "goldi-locks" level below the old rules and the current ones.
    On one hand I wholeheartedly applaud this post, on the other I fear it because the totalitarians use the mentally ill excuse to do away with enemies…

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

It is extremely easy to get one's self committed for a short stay in a mental health facility. All someone has to do is show up in front of a relatively competent medical professional and tell them that they have a plan to harm themselves or others. This is frequently abused by people that view a stay in such a facility as a vacation from their life. Often these people will "check" themselves in dozens of times per year, almost always at taxpayer expense.

It is and should be much harder to get someone else committed, especially long term commitments. Bipolar people are rarely a serious threat to others and would be highly unlikely to meet criteria for long term commitment. Relatively few types of mental illness require long term commitment and even fewer mentally ill people are a danger to others. The problem is that many of the mentally ill people that are potentially dangerous to others have types of illness that allow them to function at relatively high levels and conceal that illness from others until it is too late. Even when those types do fail to completely conceal their mental illness, they are all too often not taken seriously.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It is extremely easy to get one's self committed for a short stay in a mental health facility. All someone has to do is show up in front of a relatively competent medical professional and tell them that they have a plan to harm themselves or others. This is frequently abused by people that view a stay in such a facility as a vacation from their life. Often these people will "check" themselves in dozens of times per year, almost always at taxpayer expense.

It is and should be much harder to get someone else committed, especially long term commitments. Bipolar people are rarely a serious threat to others and would be highly unlikely to meet criteria for long term commitment. Relatively few types of mental illness require long term commitment and even fewer mentally ill people are a danger to others. The problem is that many of the mentally ill people that are potentially dangerous to others have types of illness that allow them to function at relatively high levels and conceal that illness from others until it is too late. Even when those types do fail to completely conceal their mental illness, they are all too often not taken seriously.
    It is indisputable that the mother in Sandy Hook tried to get help for her son and was not able to get it. I believe the grandparents and school in Parkview also tried unsuccessfully to get help. So there Is a failure to get these screwed up kids help.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    It is indisputable that the mother in Sandy Hook tried to get help for her son and was not able to get it. I believe the grandparents and school in Parkview also tried unsuccessfully to get help. So there Is a failure to get these screwed up kids help.
    The word of one person, even a parent, is not sufficient, nor should it be, to trigger treatment, especially commitment. Evaluation by trained professionals is required and that is often where the mentally ill person's ability to conceal their illness comes into play. These people are often skilled at manipulation as well. While they wouldn't be able to conceal their illness from extensive testing and assessment they can conceal or manipulate their way out of the testing, especially since that testing can be expensive and most won't want to pay for it. Sometimes, the trained professionals just drop the ball, which is another reason why it should not be easy to commit someone.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    Watching Holy Moly last night and then Brandon came on...ABC was only one carrying it. ABC, the voice of truth....what a joke. I flipped the channel. The liberals and Brandon can cry all they want, but they loved the mass shooting and they made it political immediately. FBI says around 250 people killed by rifles and shotguns every year and Brandons what to strip the 2A from millions of law abiding citizens, blame the gun, never the criminal. If they were so concerned with human life they would be pro-life. And what about all the drunks killing people every year....I don't see beer being attacked this much. What about the 3000 children that die in pools every year. Why aren't Brandons outlawing swimming pools? Imagine a America without guns......imagine Nazi Germany. Thats the Brandons dream except it will be better in their minds this time. Fully expect many RINO's to jump on board with this.
    THIS is exactly how I feel!!! If they were so concerned with human life they would be pro-life.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The word of one person, even a parent, is not sufficient, nor should it be, to trigger treatment, especially commitment. Evaluation by trained professionals is required and that is often where the mentally ill person's ability to conceal their illness comes into play. These people are often skilled at manipulation as well. While they wouldn't be able to conceal their illness from extensive testing and assessment they can conceal or manipulate their way out of the testing, especially since that testing can be expensive and most won't want to pay for it. Sometimes, the trained professionals just drop the ball, which is another reason why it should not be easy to commit someone.
    It should not be this hard either.

Top Bottom