• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coyn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Syracuse
    So I was cleaning the guns today after shooting a few hundred rounds yesterday and was wondering what r some of the unique things that people use to clean their guns and how they use them. The only thing I use that isn't gun related is a toothbrush but I don't think that would be so unusual.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    -2x2 synthetic gauze pads (I get them in bulk :D). They work great!
    -Cotton tipped applicators. Again, I get them in bulk through work. Think one ended Q-tip with a wooden stick instead of the pressed paper shaft. The wooden stick is great because when it eventually breaks it is great for "chipping" away stubborn carbon buildup and I don't have too worry about scratching anything.
    -Brake Kleen (non-chlorinated)
    -I also use a brass stripper clip that I think was originally for 8mm Mauser ammo. The thick brass right angle on it comes in handy a lot for getting gunk out of internal angles that the brass brush doesn't seem to break up.
    -Locking cotton forceps, basically tweezers that snap shut. I wrap the gauze around the end and lock shut. They have about a 45 degree angle to the end and with the CLP coated gauze on them turn into a scrub brush that reaches everything nicely.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Cordless drill for the shotguns. Makes quick work of leading. (old worn out brush at low speeds, with a soaked patch of hoppes wrapped around it, followed by straight patches in a loop tip.
    I also have dental picks and qtips laying here, and a bottle of everclear.

mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    -Brake Kleen (non-chlorinated)

Careful with solvents! I used brake cleaner (non-chlorinated) on a 22lr pistol. I should have removed the plastic grips first. The cleaner softened the plastic and discolored them. Worse, I was cleaning it for a friend. I spent over 2 hours with steel wool, a tooth brush and polishing compound to restore my muck-up. I should have known better. :n00b:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Pipe cleaners. I usually use the ones I find in the craft section of Hobby Lobby. Real pipe cleaners (the good ones) have actual bristles in them, extra handy for cleaning a dirty gas tube.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Q tips, Dental Picks, Compressed Air, WD 40, pipe cleaners, plastic SOS pad,
    Have also used foam shaving cream, then washed out the parts, dried, lubed and the weapon was ready to go. Have used break cleaner, lighter fluid and gasoline to clean weapons, as it was what was available since we had a limited supply of CLP. Comes from Supply, but dont always get all we need, so you have to make do with what you have. I suggest using real cleaners as they work better on the weapons, haha.

Top Bottom