• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    See, I just moved to Indiana from Chicago.
    Welcome to the land of the free and the laws of the sane. I see you are from Gary, I've got a good friend who lives there. One of my employees also is a resident of Gary (Glen Park area) and she wants to get out, possibly to Griffith.

The Northwest Indiana members of INGO are pretty active, there is an upcoming group shoot in Winamac (long drive but worth it) coming up in October. We also have "open carry" cigar nights for those so inclined to meet up (cigar smoking and/or open carrying are optional). We have Wednesday lunch meetings at a cigar lounge in Schererville on US30. There are periodic meet & eats (typically open carry optional) at various burger joints around the area also.

I'd encourage you to get involved in the group, there is a lot of information that gets shared.

I thought we didn't have the Castle Doctrine? I was of the understanding that in Indiana you have the right to use lethal force ANYWHERE yourself or your property is threatened. Whereas the Castle Doctrine only applies to your home or places you spend a lot of time in such as work.

Correct me if I'm wrong
    You are wrong.

Consider yourself corrected.

There is no legal reason why a Castle Doctrine should ONLY apply to your home/etc. The term "Castle Doctrine" is simply a term used to describe some types of aspects of self defense laws but it is not a specific legal term that has a universal meaning in a court of law. Of the states that have a Castle Doctrine, each state is allowed to have its own rules but they generally agree on the right to self defense, they do not always agree on the duty to retreat, etc.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    I'm assuming you where joking DownBy, but just to make sure, you don't actually tell your customers they' can just shoot somebody in the back do you? You can defend yourself, but a fleeing perp is not a threat under "normal" circumstances, and a shot to the back usually means the person was either running or unaware. Home or not, you can't just murder people....even if they deserve it, but you can use as much force as NEEDed.
    I do say it in a joking manner, but between us, I'm just passing along what the local LEOs have told me...I would have to find the exact letter of the law to know for sure, but they've told me that you could never shot a fleeing perp, but with the passage of the Castle Doctrine you could.

Since I heard that second hand I've never told anyone that they can do it.

Vasili

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Ok im back guys .. sorry bout that had to go and get a glass of water from the anger. Ok so Im no lawyer or expert on laws obviously, but if my memory serves me right here are some other examples of freedoms and/or privledges

CCW or OC is not allowed in Illinois as far as I know.
    Cant buy a handgun if you live in or near Chicago. + 48hr wait.
    Shotguns have 24hr wait.
    Cant buy anything to do with firearms such as ammo parts etc without a FOID card.
    No Castle Doctrine - can not defend yourself anywhere outside your house like on your driveway if someone where breaking into your car. You can not shoot someone in the back even in a legitimate self defense situation.

etc. etc

what do you think?

I say welcome back to America, Raymond Johnson.

How was Zimbabwe?

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    I do say it in a joking manner, but between us, I'm just passing along what the local LEOs have told me...I would have to find the exact letter of the law to know for sure, but they've told me that you could never shot a fleeing perp, but with the passage of the Castle Doctrine you could.

Since I heard that second hand I've never told anyone that they can do it.

If I remember correctly, the proper usage of "shooting someone in the back" is if they are still considered a threat. If they have dropped all weapons and are openly fleeing your presence, then you cannot shoot them in the back. If, however, they are still armed and you determine that they are moving to cover to continue the attack, you have the right to drop them where they stand.

Bear in mind, I'm not a lawyer, and it would definitely be a hard case to prove in those instances. But, we all know the motto "judged by 6."

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    To be honest man, it sounds like you lived in a foreign country.

Welcome to Indiana, enjoy your newfound freedom.

Don't worrry it sounds more and more familiar as hoosiers keep shoving us that way. They didn't give up all their rights over night in one swoop. They started out with hunter education, little bits of red tape sticking to their guns a little at a time, special hunting seasons, special people who get to use special weapons and early seasons for them. A different season in different parts of the same state. Little notes you take to the G-man about your gun, then about you, then from your training instructors then those little green notes you give the g-man to pay for your "rights" and they use that to hire more g-men to make up new rules and build new hoops.

Indiana is a lot more like those states today than they were when I moved to WI in '94. A lot of it hunters can thank their selves for it.

Last edited:

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    Don't worrry it sounds more and more familiar as hoosiers keep shoving us that way. They didn't give up all their rights over night in one swoop. They started out with hunter education, little bits of red tape sticking to their guns a little at a time, special hunting seasons, special people who get to use special weapons and early seasons for them. A different season in different parts of the same state. Little notes you take to the G-man about your gun, then about you, then from your training instructors then those little green notes you give the g-man to pay for your "rights" and they use that to hire more g-men to make up new rules and build new hoops.

Indiana is a lot more like those states today than they were when I moved to WI in '94. A lot of it hunters can thank their selves for.

Ya know, that's a very good point and sobering. Liberty is not taken overnight, but rather, given away as a gradual erosion of self. I'd made my initial post with the mental premise of "Wow, aren't we lucky that we have rights, unlike Chicago" This post is a reminder that the anti gun movement is not dormant, but more like a corrosive onslaught to our individual freedoms, one little piece at a time. I like perspective.

rwstahlh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Vincennes
    I too was raised in Illinois, but fortunately have lived in Indiana for 18 years. There is no doubt that Indiana is a great state to live in.

Top Bottom