• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    About 16-18 months ago I vacuum packed some undies,socks and shirts. Standard Haynes.
    As life go's I needed a pair of the undies so I went to one of the bag's and got a pair. And as a little surprise the elastic in the waste is done ? No flex to it, stretched it out and it stayed stretched out. ? Still had vacuum,new when packed.
    Maybe it was just me but anyone that has vacuum packed these items may want to check some random pieces cause in the current condition they are useless for what they are intended!!!!

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    The suction from the vacuum may have stretched out the waistband to the point of failure.

That is what I was thinking. If the waistband was stretched for a year and a half, there probably wouldn't be much stretch left. I was thinking about doing this to throw in my BOB. Has anyone else had this problem?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I am not an authority on elastic, but I had a thought cross my mind. Heat will eventually cause it to fail. Vacuum apparently causes elastic to fail. Could the heat cook out and the vacuum draw out materials from within the elastic critical to its elasticity?

Colt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Dearborn County
    Maybe the plasticizer migrated from the bag to the elastic. Plasticizer migration is a problem in medical equipment and food packaging for instance. The most aggravating to me is the plasticizer in one fishing lure destroying another one. But, I haven't experienced my undies losing their elastic.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Maybe the plasticizer migrated from the bag to the elastic. Plasticizer migration is a problem in medical equipment and food packaging for instance. The most aggravating to me is the plasticizer in one fishing lure destroying another one. But, I haven't experienced my undies losing their elastic.

That's a distinct possibility. Many vintage GI Joe accessories died an unnecessary death due to long term contact with Joe's wet suit as it leached plasticizer over the years, and eventually became all crumbly.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    that is weird, i would have never though that would happen from putting them in a vacuum bag,
    THE ORIGINAL PLAN: Was to have x2 bags of socks and undies and one with a shirt and a pair of pants in ea bag.
    But after today I'm gonna pull it all out and check it all out.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Undies are a modern, unecessary invention. I never wear them when riding the Harley long distance anyway.

I am unclear why you would vacuum pack clothing anyway.

It is not necessary.

Top Bottom