• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I think the UAW is playing it smart and only striking 3 plants so they don't deplete their strike fund. I don't know why they would strike at three plants that don't produce the top selling vehicles though.

Bstarkey_46947

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2021
    Indiana
    They are hitting the highest margin vehicle platforms first, is my assumption. I helped close a union shop 20 years ago that I thought I would retire from. This is not going to be positive for anyone involved.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I’ve never had an issue with businesses selling their products at what the market will tolerate. Owners can make as much as they can. Secondly I think prospective employees are entitled to do the same when it comes to employment compensation. Get every penny you can squeeze out of them. People will either buy the product or not. The business will either stay open or not. The employee will either keep working or not. Always ask for more than you know you can get and negotiate as close to the ask as you can.
    But the government will not allow U.S. auto manufacturers to go out of business.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Fain is saying 3 months, I am interested to see how many employees can survive on $500 a week (that has to be taxed so more like $300~). Healthcare won't strangle them out as the strike fund covers that apparently.

For reference the USW got basically 15%~ over life of contract, Rail Road got 24% over life of contract and Teamsters got basically the same at 23% over life of contract (and the teamsters had a much better strike position IMHO). Current offer from Ford is 20% I believe, current "union" members in a battery plant in Kentucky make $21 an hour for reference as well.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    They are hitting the highest margin vehicle platforms first, is my assumption. I helped close a union shop 20 years ago that I thought I would retire from. This is not going to be positive for anyone involved.
    Don't quite understand the plan. Wentzville makes the Colorado/Canyon and cargo vans, Toledo makes Jeep Wranglers (this kinda jibes), and Michigan assy makes the Bronco and Ranger. You'd think they'd hit plants like GM's Fort Wayne or (can't remember the city) Texas truck assembly plant and the ones making F-series and Ram full size pickups. I'm sure the small truck plants will cause some heartburn, but I can't see these vehicles being the largest margin ones. Of course, I've not worked at GM for almost 10 years now and I could be surprised.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    And yet the morons keep allowing it to happen. Bring it on. Collapse the economy. LEts get it over with.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    The whole thing is disgusting, both sides.

The “big 3” killed off compact cars and sedans and went after higher margin trucks and SUVs. Post COVID they decided to focus on production on fully loaded models. Go price a base 4x2 F-150 work truck…$40k+!

UAW complains their wages haven’t kept up and they can’t afford what they build, do they think everyone else can? What have they done to help the problem? Zero. Their solution is to push the pain to everyone else, they cash in! How long do they think that will last? Do they think there will be some domino effect? The rest of this country is not going to get 40% raises on the back of this.

I have been buying Fords exclusively for the last 15 years. Screw them and screw UAW. The rats can all sink in the ship together.

STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers
    Shortsightedness is a human flaw but unions seem to have cornered the market on it. Working at an auto plant is honest work, but it’s also unskilled labor which has a market ceiling. Unions were created out of necessity when kids were losing arms in wood chippers working 13 hour days. With the advent of labor laws, the only purpose of unions now is to artificially inflate the salarys of trade jobs beyond what the market is willing to pay almost exclusively through extortion.
    That’s why auto workers, plumbers, grocery store employees etc have unions and doctors, lawyers, pharmacists, scientists, and engineers don’t.

The silly part is that these folks don’t realize that they have started and are about to negotiate themselves out of a job, hence the short sightedness. Had they stayed within or close to the market rate, companies would have had no incentive to automate. Because they let their unions continue with the racket, you have far less workers on the line and this trend is only going to continue.

It sucks to not have a job, but if we are honest throwing sheet metal into a press (or pushing a button since it now does it for you) isn’t much different than flipping a burger and no one (who is serious) thinks that special sauce lettuce cheese duty should be a 30/hr job. Add to that the fact that these unrealistic demands only make the cost of goods more expensive (ironic when they complain that they can’t afford things on their salary) and the sympathetic meter starts to drop off pretty quickly.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage

The “big 3” killed off compact cars and sedans and went after higher margin trucks and SUVs. Post COVID they decided to focus on production on fully loaded models. Go price a base 4x2 F-150 work truck…$40k+!

UAW complains their wages haven’t kept up and they can’t afford what they build, do they think everyone else can? What have they done to help the problem? Zero. Their solution is to push the pain to everyone else, they cash in! How long do they think that will last? Do they think there will be some domino effect? The rest of this country is not going to get 40% raises on the back of this.

I have been buying Fords exclusively for the last 15 years. Screw them and screw UAW. The rats can all sink in the ship together.
    I don't think the UAW members have a clue what their in for.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

Ever see what the low and high with the UAW's profit checks from the big three are each year?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Shortsightedness is a human flaw but unions seem to have cornered the market on it. Working at an auto plant is honest work, but it’s also unskilled labor which has a market ceiling. Unions were created out of necessity when kids were losing arms in wood chippers working 13 hour days. With the advent of labor laws, the only purpose of unions now is to artificially inflate the salarys of trade jobs beyond what the market is willing to pay almost exclusively through extortion.
    That’s why auto workers, plumbers, grocery store employees etc have unions and doctors, lawyers, pharmacists, scientists, and engineers don’t.

The silly part is that these folks don’t realize that they have started and are about to negotiate themselves out of a job, hence the short sightedness. Had they stayed within or close to the market rate, companies would have had no incentive to automate. Because they let their unions continue with the racket, you have far less workers on the line and this trend is only going to continue.

It sucks to not have a job, but if we are honest throwing sheet metal into a press (or pushing a button since it now does it for you) isn’t much different than flipping a burger and no one (who is serious) thinks that special sauce lettuce cheese duty should be a 30/hr job. Add to that the fact that these unrealistic demands only make the cost of goods more expensive (ironic when they complain that they can’t afford things on their salary) and the sympathetic meter starts to drop off pretty quickly.

It's almost like a skilled individual can achieve their own market value by themselves.

STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers
    It's almost like a skilled individual can achieve their own market value by themselves.
    Sort of. Society understands and is willing to pay more for skilled labor because we understand that it takes years of education to even be certified to do the work. There are no apprentice cardiologists for a reason. This and the fact that the consequences of not having these qualities is far more dangerous. Having a building fall on you is much more of a problem than having to drive a lemon.

Paying someone a higher wage to work the lugnut machine doesn’t get you anything extra.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    In terms of pensions, if unions gave a flying **** about that or their future members they'd stop making deals like bumping current union members pension in return for no pensions for new hires. I'm not saying that's the grift with the current situation. Unions have done **** like that in the past.

Voting to **** your future coworker so you can have more now. Maybe union bosses go along with it so that they can grift new hires into paying higher union dues so that they can say they're fighting for the thing they agreed to end. Unions kinda have their place but they've become a giant grift machine sucking dues from workers.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    "Adjusting for inflation, autoworkers have seen their average wages fall 19.3% since 2008, according to Adam Hersh, senior economist at the left-leaning Economic Policy Institute. That's because autoworker "concessions made following the 2008 auto industry crisis were never reinstated," Hersh said in a recent blog post, "including a suspension of cost-of-living adjustments." "

Top Bottom