• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    From a news article....10-43 ONLY......Enjoy!

U.S. Marine Corps Chooses H&K To Make SAW Replacement - Defense News

U.S. Marine Corps Chooses H&K To Make SAW Replacement

By DAN LAMOTHE
    Published: 2 Dec 2009 12:51
    print.gif
    Print |
    email.gif
    Email

The U.S. Marine Corps has selected the infantry automatic rifle made by Heckler & Koch as the weapon that will replace the M249 Squad Automatic Weapon in infantry fire teams, a senior service official told Marine Corps Times on Wednesday.

The H&K IAR "was truly the best in the class on multiple levels and will finally allow the billet of automatic rifleman to be performed as intended without the disruption of the squad integrity that the M249 created," Chief Warrant Officer 5 Jeffrey Eby, the Corps' senior gunner, said in an e-mail.
    The final contract competition also included two models from Colt Defense LLC and one model from FN Herstal.
    Like the SAW, each IAR finalist is built for 5.56mm ammunition. Unlike the SAW, they are not designed to operate with a 200-round drum, a point of contention for some U.S. Marines concerned about a loss of firepower. The IAR is designed to use the same 30-round magazine used with the M16, although industry, including FN Herstal, is also developing high-capacity 5.56mm magazines for the weapon that could hold 100 or 150 rounds.
    The H&K IAR is the lightest of the four weapons the U.S. Marine Corps tested this summer, after selecting finalists for the competition in December 2008. It weighs 7.9 pounds empty, with a barrel length of 16.5 inches and a collapsible stock that extends from 33 to 36.9 inches, company officials have said. It has a gas-operated system and fires from the closed-bolt position.
    Marine Corps Systems Command, based at U.S. Marine Corps Base Quantico, Va., had not announced the winner of the IAR competition as of Wednesday morning. SysCom officials said in September that they expected a decision on the IAR to be made in October, but have declined interviews since. Eby, who oversees the Corps' infantry weapons experts, said he has known who won the contract for about a month, but referred questions about why it has not been announced to SysCom.
    A formal protest was filed with the U.S. Government Accountability Office by FN Herstal to a Marine contract decision Oct. 30 and updated Nov. 23, but GAO officials declined to discuss whether the protest was related to the IAR decision. Colt currently has no contract protests filed with GAO.
    Eby said initial operational testing is scheduled to take place from January to May in locations ranging from Panama to the Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center and Marine Corps Air-Ground Combat Center in California.
    "If successful and awarded full-rate production approval, then we should see initial operational capability by late summer 2010," Eby said.
    Company officials could not immediately be reached for comment.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I am not impressed.

Not because HK won't make a good weapon - I'm sure they will - but because the IAR requirements ended up getting watered down so badly from the original concept/solicitation that the "winner" is little more than a piston-driven M4. And if that's the case, why not just issue everybody HK416s (thus giving them all an "IAR" capability) and be done with it? :dunno:

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    I don't carry HK's in the shop and will not. They are clearly anti-gun for us common folks. I want the best for our soldiers, but I don't think this is the answer.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I don't understand. Thirty years ago the South Africans came up with a brilliant design, the SS-77, that seems to be exactly what the USMC wants. Plus, no bugs to work out with the SS-77, no new feed system bugs or the like.

A Mini SS-77 would be ideal. I know it's perhaps a half a key heavier than the USMC wants but with modern components I would think weight could be melted off the pig. I know it comes from RSA but with the 1994 RSA elections you would think USG would do business with Vektor.

However, I know politics is always involved in weapon selection. Perhaps this is a foot in the door to get the HK416 that USMC wants so badly???

:dunno:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I don't understand. Thirty years ago the South Africans came up with a brilliant design, the SS-77, that seems to be exactly what the USMC wants.

The original Ultimax-100 (not the modified General Dynamics abortion that was briefly in the running) would've fit the bill, as well, but they had to go reinvent the wheel as always.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Shooter521 and CWood, those were my thoughts as well regarding ammo capacity and the piston system. Too much money to be made out there!

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Bad choice. Really it's a ridiculous choice.

Will be plagued with over heating issues (as an M16 would be)...

Hopefully it has some beefed up internals but I doubt it.

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Having fired and worked on SAW's and M60's, I'm not the least bit impressed with the capabilities of the IAR for it's intended purpose. To be honest, I wasn't all that impressed with the SAW either except that it was more versatile and easier to maintain.

Like shooter521, this isn't a knock on H&K, but that thing looks to be nothing more than a modernized M16A1 with a gas piston.:noway: Maybe that weapon should be replacing the M16A4, but not the M249.

Lanser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Evansville
    It gets better.

The IAR was originally developed by LWRC, but they don't have the facilities to manufacture it on the scale required for a military contract. They must have sold the design to H&K instead, who apparently removed the things that made it good (gas piston, special coating on parts) and now take credit for it. :n00b:

Lanser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Evansville
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom