• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    I know very little about ships, can anyone tell me what part of the deck on the guided-missile cruiser USS Monterey (CG 61) that photo with the weapons all laid out was taken? What feature on a guided missile cruiser would appear as two catapult rails to me? What am I seeing?
    Flight deck, back aft.

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    I believe "stateless" means its not flying the flag of a particular country of registration in accordance with maritime law. Modern day equivalent to a pirate ship I guess. With no formal flag, it cant claim rights under that flag's country. So if you get stopped, you're on your own.
    I'm no lawyer either, but I believe you are correct. If not flying a flag, they are subject to search, and in some cases seizure of cargo. If you read the article, it says after seizing the cargo, a safety inspection of the vessel was performed, and then they were released.

Edited to add: I just read about 12 pages of someones dissertation about "stateless" vessels, and basically, if they fly no flag, they have no protection, and can be boarded, searched, and seized by any country. If the boarding country has cause to believe the cargo is to be used for nefarious purposes, they have the right to seize, but not to apprehend. So they can take the cargo, but not the boat or the sailors.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I figure somebody, probably Mossad knew about the shipment and made a phone call to somebody, and somebody called somebody else in US intelligence.

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    I just find it interesting that it makes Reuters and Voice of America, but not MSM (Main Stream Media). No one that I have seen has reported it stateside. So many things over here happen that never make the media.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Maybe this was part of the shipment that MAC was expecting... ;)

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Can anyone explain to me where the US Navy's 5th Fleet gets the authority to stop a foreign ship in international waters and confiscate its cargo? Are we policing the whole ocean, or just this location? Furthermore, why did we stop this ship (intelligence?) and why do we care about its cargo? Are we working for us (USA), or someone else? I am serious with my questions.
    As someone who has been boarded multiple times by the coast guard I can tell you that in the ocean the authority lies with whomever has the fast boats and the guns. Those ships fly through the water compared to small craft in 4 ft seas.

I couldn’t bring myself to find any puddle pirate jokes after getting boarded either.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Can anyone explain to me where the US Navy's 5th Fleet gets the authority to stop a foreign ship in international waters and confiscate its cargo? Are we policing the whole ocean, or just this location? Furthermore, why did we stop this ship (intelligence?) and why do we care about its cargo? Are we working for us (USA), or someone else? I am serious with my questions.
    I'm pretty sure nobody question the authority of the US Navy when they show up on board any small merchant ship.

In a case of a stateless ship international maritime law give them the authority.

Vessels that are not legitimately registered in any one nation are without nationality and are referred to as “stateless vessels”. They are not entitled to fly the flag of any nation and, because they are not entitled to the protection of any nation, they are subject to the jurisdiction of all nations. Accordingly, stateless vessels may be boarded upon being encountered in international waters by a warship or other government vessel and subjected to all appropriate law enforcement actions

An article I read said it was a "routine boarding".
    Not sure if they had intelligence or not.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    That haul plus that size ship from the pictures means it must have been about ready to sink from overloading. Wow.

Probably lots of technically "stateless" vessels of that class in the region, local fishermen and the like. Wonder where it was going. Gotta be Yemen, you figure? I don't buy "random stop" for a second. One would think a person trafficking in arms at that level would spring for a flag of convenience just to make busting them a little harder.

And yes I see lots of MAC's SVDs in there. He probably had the Gunbroker listings all ready to go. :laugh6:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom